For a Mage, what is the most important school to concentrate on first?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wetigos

I have a feeling that most of y'all are not concerned with your cash flow at all in the beginning and just head straight for whatever location you want to "really" start at.

Me, I need to gather enough cash in the Riverwood/Falkreath corridor so that I can purchase Breezehome and any other items (spells, weapons, etc...) before I begin.

I have no access to "transmute" or any other than the spells available in Riverwood or Falkreath until after level 10.

The bandit camp with transmute is slightly behind whiterun, i consider that pretty much around the beginning of the game.
I think i'm usually around level 3 when i get transmute.

I always deal with cash issues as one of the first things, before i really get into the questing.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Cash is king, without it you cannot buy spells, training or anything.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I have a feeling that most of y'all are not concerned with your cash flow at all in the beginning and just head straight for whatever location you want to "really" start at.

Me, I need to gather enough cash in the Riverwood/Falkreath corridor so that I can purchase Breezehome and any other items (spells, weapons, etc...) before I begin.

I have no access to "transmute" or any other than the spells available in Riverwood or Falkreath until after level 10.

The bandit camp with transmute is slightly behind whiterun, i consider that pretty much around the beginning of the game.

I always deal with cash issues as one of the first things, before i really get into the questing.
I know where it is, I just don't go there. There really is no reason in my RP to be doing that. Besides, to me, transmute is the most worthless spell in the game. Sure it raises alteration and smithing (once you make something), but carrying around all that ore gets on my nerves when I can make the same cash by killing things and looting their bodies. :)

Wetigos

I know where it is, I just don't go there. There really is no reason in my RP to be doing that. Besides, to me, transmute is the most worthless spell in the game. Sure it raises alteration and smithing (once you make something), but carrying around all that ore gets on my nerves when I can make the same cash by killing things and looting their bodies. :)

Ah we're using it differently ^^
I clear this camp, mine some iron, transmute some stuff...

Then i head to kolskeggr mine and clear the forsworn, mine the gold ore, and complete the quest.
Then i sell all my gold ore to pavo for 50g a piece.
Last time i did this i remember i had around 13000g after, and i hadnt really done much else than get transmute, mine some places, and then sell the gold ore.

I think thats a decent amount of gold to have around level ~5 or so...

Daelon DuLac

Then i head to kolskeggr mine and clear the forsworn, mine the gold ore, and complete the quest.
Last time i did this i remember i had around 13000g after, and i hadnt really done much else than get transmute, mine some places, and then sell the gold ore.

I have never been able to clear Kolskegger by that level. The Briar Heart slaughters me (even on Novice). How on earth did you get all the way to Markarth at that level? Didn't the foreswarn use you for target practice? Not to mention the multiple sabrecats, wolves and miscellaneous jerks? It is a long way from Whiterun to Markarth or did you take the carriage?

Wetigos

I have never been able to clear Kolskegger by that level. The Briar Heart slaughters me (even on Novice). How on earth did you get all the way to Markarth at that level? Didn't the foreswarn use you for target practice? Not to mention the multiple sabrecats, wolves and miscellaneous jerks? It is a long way from Whiterun to Markarth or did you take the carriage?

Flame atronach is one way, they tend to overly focus on them. Another is just doing alot of dodging and casting destruction spells, but it does require a decent amount of waiting around for mana to return, atleast on higher difficulties (this was on master)
You should have a few mana potions from helgen etc aswell.
I'd assume being a high elf would help immensely with their racial ability aswell, i was a breton though.

And yes i did use a carriage from whiterun to markarth, but it's certainly also possible to run there, although i'd expect you to get a few levels if you were to do so.

Daelon DuLac

Flame atronach is one way, they tend to overly focus on them. Another is just doing alot of dodging and casting destruction spells, but it does require a decent amount of waiting around for mana to return, atleast on higher difficulties (this was on master)
You should have a few mana potions from helgen etc aswell.
I'd assume being a high elf would help immensely with their racial ability aswell, i was a breton though.

And yes i did use a carriage from whiterun to markarth, but it's certainly also possible to run there, although i'd expect you to get a few levels if you were to do so.
It's actually a great idea to raise cash. I could never make the run though. I'm such a poor player, as I said, that I can get killed by a mudcrab on novice if I'm not careful. All these suggestions are great though. I almost always play warrior, stealth or spell-sword so it should be interesting to rely on nothing but magic. Hmm...

Wetigos

Oh i should probably give you a heads up, be sure to stock up on the gold ore before completing the quest, as pavo is practically guarenteed to die some time after the quest is completed.

This is due to the fact that he will head to his home at kolskeggr, and unfortunately as we all know, enemies will respawn after some time.

Docvoodo

For me, what I focused on with my Mage is:

Conjuration (Primary)
Illusion (Primary)
Enchanting (Secondary)
Restoration (Secondary)
Destruction (I don't bother with it)
Alteration (I don't bother with it)

Conjuration: If you're going to use bound weapons this is a must. I go this route early on. Simply because each summon is suited for one purpose or another. If you master Conjuration, you don't need to bother with Destruction or Alteration.

I. Flame Atronach/Boneman/Mistman/Storm Atronach if I need ranged support. A mage or archer dead thrall work just as well.

II. Frost Atronach/Dremora Lord/Wrathman are essentially your tanks, who needs added protection if they distract your enemies? The Frost Atronachs and Wrathman are more tanks while Dremora Lords can suck up damage, but deal extreme amounts of it and are a little squishy as well. You can simply get a melee thrall such as a bandit chief who can use a bow if needed to achieve the same effects.

I can't stress how useful Conjuration is, you can summon any ally you need for whatever the situation is: a Dragon? How using a Storm Atronach to ground it and summon Dremora Lords to finish it off. In a Draugr crypt? Summon your DL's and watch them go to town.

Illusion: This magic is similar to Conjuration. You can stop from being attacked, provoke enemies into attacking each other without being harmed yourself, cause enemies to flee in terror into other potential threats (e.g. a trap) or to give yourself some breathing room.

Enchanting can benefit a robed mage as well (if you want stay with robes), simply enchant a pair of gloves, boots, circlet, ring, and amulet and you don't have to sacrifice the Mage Armor Perk.

Restoration: Self explanatory.

Alteration: I don't use this, only because my summons soak up damage for me, if I'm facing a mage I have my wards.

Destruction: I do love destruction magic, don't get me wrong. The impact perk is wonderful, I just prefer to watch my minions slaughter everything. You might want to use destruction to deal damage primarily (everyone has their preferences).

I'm sorry for having so much typed up, (I get lost sometimes discussing a game) I hope this helps!

Daelon DuLac

Conjuration (Primary)
Illusion (Primary)
Enchanting (Secondary)
Restoration (Secondary)

Conjuration: If you're going to use bound weapons this is a must. I go this route early on. Simply because each summon is suited for one purpose or another. If you master Conjuration, you don't need to bother with Destruction or Alteration.

I. Flame Atronach/Boneman/Mistman/Storm Atronach if I need ranged support. A mage or archer dead thrall work just as well.

II. Frost Atronach/Dremora Lord/Wrathman are essentially your tanks, who needs added protection if they distract your enemies? The Frost Atronachs and Wrathman are more tanks while Dremora Lords can suck up damage, but deal extreme amounts of it and are a little squishy as well. You can simply get a melee thrall such as a bandit chief who can use a bow if needed to achieve the same effects.

I can't stress how useful Conjuration is, you can summon any ally you need for whatever the situation is: a Dragon? How using a Storm Atronach to ground it and summon Dremora Lords to finish it off. In a Draugr crypt? Summon your DL's and watch them go to town.

Illusion: This magic is similar to Conjuration. You can stop from being attacked, provoke enemies into attacking each other without being harmed yourself, cause enemies to flee in terror into other potential threats (e.g. a trap) or to give yourself some breathing room.

Enchanting can benefit a robed mage as well (if you want stay with robes), simply enchant a pair of gloves, boots, circlet, ring, and amulet and you don't have to sacrifice the Mage Armor Perk.

Alteration: I don't use this, only because my summons soak up damage for me, if I'm facing a mage I have my wards.

Destruction: I do love destruction magic, don't get me wrong. The impact perk is wonderful, I just prefer to watch my minions slaughter everything. You might want to use destruction to deal damage primarily (everyone has their preferences).

I'm sorry for having so much typed up, (I get lost sometimes discussing a game) I hope this helps!
Great info, but I will still up destruction. I have never really been in to Conjuration. Followers, conjured beings, you name it, they just get on my nerves, although I do love my bound weapons.

Docvoodo

Conjuration (Primary)
Illusion (Primary)
Enchanting (Secondary)
Restoration (Secondary)

Great info, but I will still up destruction. I have never really been in to Conjuration. Followers, conjured beings, you name it, they just get on my nerves, although I do love my bound weapons.

What element will you use? If you obtain the Aspect of Terror perk from the Illusion tree you can increase your Fire damage (combined with the correct destruction perks and Ahzidal (the mask) you can make flame destruction spells very deadly.

Daelon DuLac

Conjuration (Primary)
Illusion (Primary)
Enchanting (Secondary)
Restoration (Secondary)

What element will you use? If you obtain the Aspect of Terror perk from the Illusion tree you can increase your Fire damage (combined with the correct destruction perks and Ahzidal (the mask) you can make flame destruction spells very deadly.
I do love my Illusion. I have a tendency to use all three regularly actually. Fireball, Ice-Storm and Chain-Lightning being my favorite. Haven't decided yet.

Wetigos

I do love my Illusion. I have a tendency to use all three regularly actually. Fireball, Ice-Storm and Chain-Lightning being my favorite. Haven't decided yet.

Well some enemies have more resistances to certain elements, so ofcourse its good to not just sticking to one of them.
Good luck killing karstagg with frost magic eg :D

But man all this talk of mages lately has really made me feel like making one again, it has been a while...

Daelon DuLac

Well some enemies have more resistances to certain elements, so ofcourse its good to not just sticking to one of them.
Good luck killing karstagg with frost magic eg :D

But man all this talk of mages lately has really made me feel like making one again, it has been a while...
Ha! Ha! I may be dim but even I know not to hit him with frost. Well... I could, but what would be the point. I usually just run. :)

Docvoodo

I do like to make things more difficult in my game (as if Legendary wasn't enough), I focus primarily on Fire magic, if I run out I attempt to do what any a.i. mage in my position would do: Take out my dagger and charge into the fray.

Docvoodo

I do like to make things more difficult in my game (as if Legendary wasn't enough), I focus primarily on Fire magic, if I run out I attempt to do what any a.i. mage in my position would do: Take out my dagger and charge into the fray.