• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dravos Brayvern

Has anyone else thought of this? Playing as a pure mage, I found it annoying to quickly equip Soul Trap, cast, draining a lot of my magicka early on, and then having to switch back--especially since I don't plan on using Conjuration, other than filling soul gems. So, I had the grand idea to enchant a Steel Battleaxe, have my Follower equip it, and give him all of my empty soul gems. Boom! Soul trapping machine! I was just curious if anyone else has thought of this, or if I'm a pioneer in the soul trapping ways!

tl;dr: Give follower a weapon that soul traps and empty soul gems, catches all the souls!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Yup. I've been doing that a long time. I actually had Eric the Slayer along with me carrying the Mace of Molag Bol and did the same thing with Lydia. It makes it very convenient to collect souls. Sometimes I'll even carry one and we'll fill twice as many!

utael

only problem is if you don't stack a ton of soul gems into them they quickly fill the grands with petty souls

Daelon DuLac

only problem is if you don't stack a ton of soul gems into them they quickly fill the grands with petty souls
True. I keep the greats & grands for myself usually (as I'm the one instigating with mammoths, giants, vampire nightstalkers, etc...). I usually only give them petty, lesser and commons and check 'em after each encounter set and reset the ones that are incorrect. Remember, if you're gonna do this, you gotta pay attention! :)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
As a pure mage for Petty Souls I harvested deer and elk by casting Fury on them first. It makes it easy to Soul Trap since they are right next to you when you kill them. I used them to enchant items to level Enchanting skill. I make so much money from selling potions and enchanted items that I simply buy filled Grand Soul gems for enchanting and charging my follower's weapons.

Daelon DuLac

As a pure mage for Petty Souls I harvested deer and elk by casting Fury on them first. It makes it easy to Soul Trap since they are right next to you when you kill them. I used them to enchant items to level Enchanting skill. I make so much money from selling potions and enchanted items that I simply buy filled Grand Soul gems for enchanting and charging my follower's weapons.
Makes sense, but I like the kill, especially to fill black soul gems. Since I don't play a straight mage, just gotta do it!

Daelon DuLac

Dravos Brayvern

Yeah filling rand gems with petty souls is annoying, but I have a ton of petty gems and right now I just want a lot of filled gems to enchant with haha! But I'm glad I'm not the first to think of this, it works pretty well so I'm glad others are aware of this!

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I wonder if a soul trap staff would work for a mage-follower. Also, does the follower have to make the kill?

Dravos Brayvern

I wonder if a soul trap staff would work for a mage-follower. Also, does the follower have to make the kill?

The staff would work as long as the follower used it and killed it within the amount of time. But I'm not sure about whether the follower has to make the kill, maybe?

Daelon DuLac

The staff would work as long as the follower used it and killed it within the amount of time. But I'm not sure about whether the follower has to make the kill, maybe?
I would suggest that the wielder would need to make the kill. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise, but I'm sure Dagmar or one of our other guru's could answer definitively.

utael

Actually, it just has to die, I've filled my fair share of grands by bringing a giant to town and casting soul trap on them and have the guards kill them.

Daelon DuLac

Actually, it just has to die, I've filled my fair share of grands by bringing a giant to town and casting soul trap on them and have the guards kill them.
Cool! I did not know that. I thought I had to do it myself. Thanks for the tip. :)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
While it's true that I get the souls when my followers kill the target, that doesn't necessarily mean the reverse will hold true for the follower. There are several mechanics for players that followers don't duplicate and I've never actually given a follower a soul trapping weapon or staff so I don't know the answer. It should be simple enough to test by giving one with weak damage to your follower and attacking a high health target like a giant or mammoth with your own high damage weapon that can one or two hit the creature.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts