Fleur DeLille - Journal of a young Breton girl.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Drecon

Hi everyone. These last few days I've tried to start a new character twice and both have failed to capture my attention in a way that I liked.
So now I've decided to take it the other way. I'm gonna keep a journal, right here. I'm hoping that this way I'll be able to fully experience the game in the way it's really supposed to. Also, I really want to start writing more, so this is a good combined opportunity.

Also, I'm writing this mostly for myself, but if there are others that like reading about my adventures, I really don't mind entertaining others with this.

Rules:
- Expert Difficulty (might tone it down if I can't do it, but this difficulty seems good, since it also forces me to slow down sometimes)
- No fast travel
- Try to sleep nights as much as possible
- Eat three meals a day if possible.
- No looting except for hunting. Chests are fair game of course.
- No followers (I just really dislike playing with them)
- Do not taste alchemical ingredients, it's disgusting. Experimenting is fine, and using recipes is also acceptable. Just don't put Bear claws in your mouth.

I've probably forgotten a lot, but I'll fill you in on any other restrictions I set for myself. I've got a few soft role-playing restrictions set up, but they are not set in stone. Everything my character does has to be in character though.

Drecon

12, Sun's Height 201.

First things first. My name is Fleur DeLille. I am 16 years old and I come from a good family in Daggerfall.
I decided to keep a journal of my travels because I am gonna be famous some day and people will want to read how it all began.

Well, it began with me running away from home.
You see, my father is somewhat famous in our circles. He was an adventurer in his younger days and has told me all about his adventures. He used to be very tough. Then he started doing merchant work and got very rich.
My parents have given me a good education. I know a lot about politics, math and even some languages, but more importantly they have taught me a few basic spells. The one I like the most is one where I summon a ghostly wolf. It's never quite the same wolf, but they are always so very nice and obedient.

The problem is; they never let me do anything on my own. There are always guards there, and I never get to do anything fun. I just want an adventure! Is that too much to ask?

So today I just did it. I left a note for my parents that I was going on an adventure to make my own fortune and not to come look for me. They will do it of course, but I'm hoping to be too far away by then to be caught.
I've paid a Redguard captain here to take me to Hammerfell. He was a very charming man. I think we'll get along very great.

13, Sun's Height 201.

I've gotten a lot of strange looks from the crew here. The captain is still nice, but something about him is kind of scary.
Luckily we'll be in Hammerfell tomorrow.

I'm so excited! I'm gonna have a real adventure now!

14, Sun's Height 201.

The captain is apparently not that nice at all. He just told me he is going to sell me to whoever bid the most tomorrow. He locked me in this room and just left me here.

I'm so scared.

17, Last Seed 201.

I'm free, finally.

When I heard we were nearing the border with Skyrim I started making my plan. I waited until they didn't mind me so much and then grabbed my journal and ran for it.
Thank god they have started to get sloppy.

Alright, I should probably write down what happened to me in this last horrible month.
The captain sold me to a traveling group of bandits that call themselves the Ni'Doraan. A bunch of ugly mean men that make their living raiding caravans on the road.
They were doing well for themselves because the leader really wanted a servant girl for himself. Me, of course.

I managed to hold off his avances as much I could and he held back those other bandits, but I felt him getting more and more impatient with me.
All this time I brought him his drinks and did all the other chores he wanted me to do, but he obviously wanted more.
I really don't dare to think what he would've done to me if he'd had the chance.

I've managed to get away and I think they've stopped searching for me. I'll be sure to keep hiding for tonight and I'll try to make for the border tomorrow.

Drecon

You know, a good copypasta from another journal never hurt anyone.

That's probably great advice, but I'm kind of lost on what exactly you'd want changed. Is it just markup, or is there also something else that you'd like changed?
I'm sorry but your comment might be just a little too short to understand exactly what you mean.

Drecon

Note: until I get some more feedback on what exactly is wrong with my previous posts I will just go on with what I'm doing here.

18, Last Seed 201

Today must have been the craziest day of my entire life.

I managed to get across the border without too many problems. Then suddenly there were soldiers all around me. They bound me and put me on a cart without even explaining what I did wrong.
Now on this same cart was the legendary Ulfric Stormcloack. I've heard rumors that he has a power called 'the voice' and he used it to kill the high king of Skyrim. I don't know if I really believe the entire story, my dad certainly doesn't, but he certainly started a civil war here.
On that same cart were some dirty horse-thief and a really hot guy called Ralof.

We stopped and I saw a priest and an executioner standing there. It seemed like everything was going to end right here.
The thief decided to make a run for it and got shot on the spot. I'm really glad I decided to wait it out.

Now, the next bit that happens is really not made up or anything; I swear it's all true.
They executed one of the rebels first. It was really gross seeing his head come off. I looked the other way.
Then they wanted to execute me. They didn't even clean up the mess from the first one! They put my head on the chopping block and then the unthinkable happened.

A dragon came down from the sky and started burning down the place. He breathed fire and wrecked buildings and all of that.
As soon as I regained my footing I made a run for it. I followed Ralof's voice and he led me into the keep where he and Ulfric Stormcloack were hiding out.
There was no time to catch my breath though. I followed Ralof up the stairs and then the dragon came bursting straight through the wall! He breathed fire and I could barely get out of the way in time or I would have been dead right now.
Ralof told me to jump down to another building. He said we would meet up later.

I jumped down and found myself eye to eye with the guard who greeted my when coming off the cart; I think his name was Hadvar or something like that. He led me through the burning village and kept me from harm. My hands were still bound together and I could do nothing but run after him as he led me though everything.
Then we came to the keep. Ralof came bursting from the wall and he had a standoff with Hadvar. Both then proceeded to another door and told me to follow.
The choice was kind of easy though. Hadvar was kind of cute, but Ralof is really hot. So I followed him into the keep where he cut my hands loose.

Then Ralof told me to take the stuff off of this dead guy lying on the floor. Well... think again buster! I'm not gonna touch some dead guy.
Then two imperial soldiers rushed in. I helped as best I could by summoning my wolf and a bit of the flame spell I know. Ralof did the most of the fighting though. He's really tough it turns out.
He found a key and led me through the keep. I found some potions in a few barrels and closets, but we had to keep moving of course.
Then we came to a torture room. Those barbarians! In Daggerfall we would never resort to those kinds of methods.
I helped in killing that brutish torturer and we met up with two other rebels there.
Ralof noticed a cage in the corner where there were some things that might be useful. He put some lockpicks in my hands and told my to try and get the lock open.
I've never done anything like this before in my life but I got the thing open in seconds. Those lockpicks really do most of the work for you.
In the cage was a spellbook, a potion and some gold. There was also some dead guy, so I got out of the cage as fast as I could.

Ralof led us to another room where we were ambushed by some more imperial soldiers. I summoned my wolf again and after a short battle we got rid of all of them. I wanted to use my fire spell too, but I noticed some oil on the floor. I really wouldn't want to set Ralof on fire. His hair is too nice.
After we were through the wall we came into a cavern. A cave-in cut us off from the other rebels so the only way we could go was forward.
I found some more gold next to some skeleton. I didn't really want to touch it, but the gold could be useful.
We came into a cavern with a lot of spiders. Not the small kind, mind you. Really big ones. Really gross. We made short work of them and quickly moved on.
We still weren't out of the cave. We came across a sleeping bear. Ralof pushed a bow and arrows in my hands but told me he'd rather not stir the bear. We were really careful not to wake him, so we snuck past very silently. I'm sure Ralof could've taken the beast easily, but I wasn't really looking for another fight.

We came out of the cavern and saw the dragon flying overhead. The dragon flew off into the distance and we were finally safe.
We made our way to Riverwood and Ralof told me I should join the Stormcloacks. I don't really care much for Ulfric and his movement, but maybe I would do it for Ralof. I'll have to think about it.
A short while later we came upon three guardian stones. Ralof said I should choose one. I chose the mage stone because I feel most comfortable summoning, but I could hear the disappointment in Ralof's voice after that. I should probably try to toughen up a bit.

On the way to Riverwood we came past some more wolves, but Ralof dealt with them really fast. In Riverwood we met with Ralof's sister Gerdur and her husband Hod. Gerdur was really thankful for my help and gave me a few potions as thanks.
I also got the key to their house and they said I could make myself at home there.

First I decided to look around in the town a bit. I met with the smith and he told me he could use some help around the forge. I needed the money so I decided to help him.
I crafted a helmet and a dagger and the smith told me I showed promise and to keep what I made. Turns out this smithing thing is really fun too. Who knew? I'm looking forward to doing more of that in the future.

I still had some light left and I wandered around town some more. There I met up with a sleazy Wood Elf called Faendal. He asked if I could give a fake letter to a woman named Camilla Valerius and tell her it was from some guy named Sven. Well, I don't think so buster!
I started looking for the shop that Camilla had with her brother in town and entered. When I was in there I saw they were fighting over something. Apparently some thieves broke in there and stole a golden claw. When I asked about it Lucan Valerius asked me if I could bring it back. Now this seems like the kind of adventure I wanted. I promised him I would do that.
Camilla led me to the side of town where I would find Bleak Falls Barrow, the place the thieves are hiding out. I don;t think I'm quite ready yet to take on a bunch of thieves on my own, but I should at least check it out.

When we were out of earshot of the town I told Camilla about Faendal's fake letter. She was rightfully enraged about the whole thing and thanked me. Shw said I should also see Sven aboy this. I'm really glad I did this. Us girls have got to stay together you know?
When I came to Sven he gave me some gold as a sort of reward. I mostly did it for Valeria of course, but I could really use the gold I guess.

It was getting dark by this time so I went back to Gerdur and Hod's house. I still had some time left before I should get to bed, so I studied the tome I found. It described the process of summoning lightning. The theory seems quite simple, although I haven't tried the spell yet. After that it was time for bed. I hope I'll dream of Ralof that will probably make for a really good night's sleep.

That's probably great advice, but I'm kind of lost on what exactly you'd want changed. Is it just markup, or is there also something else that you'd like changed?
I'm sorry but your comment might be just a little too short to understand exactly what you mean.
Well, you wont get the full thrill out of the game if you don't have all the restrictions. The one you really, really need is the carry weight limit. A mage uses 10 percent, a theif uses 20 percent and a warrior uses 30 percent. Of course, you can change these to your liking.

And why don't you like the food requirement? It makes the journals feel much more "real".

Drecon

Well, you wont get the full thrill out of the game if you don't have all the restrictions. The one you really, really need is the carry weight limit. A mage uses 10 percent, a theif uses 20 percent and a warrior uses 30 percent. Of course, you can change these to your liking.

And why don't you like the food requirement? It makes the journals feel much more "real".

Ah, now I understand what you mean. The short answer is: I read all those kinds of conditions and honestly, I really don't feel like playing that way.
The thing is, I mostly play games like this to get away from everything; all the chores and stuff that make life so tedious. Games like Skyrim allow me to be free from those burdens and just do what I like. Adding those restrictions like eating and only being able to lift a small amount of weight makes the game a chore and I'm not really up for that.

So in short; I'm not going to change it. I understand if that makes it less interesting to read, and honestly if nobody wants to read it I'll be happy to take this thread down and just write the journal for myself, but I won't change my playstyle to the point where I will have less fun playing the game. I hope you understand.

Have you at least tried it? Your judging a book by it'd cover here. Just because it sounds like a hassle, doesn't mean it is.

Drecon

I must confess, you make a pretty convincing argument. I think I'll at least try the eating thing and see if I like it. Don't know about the weight thing though. Once I get a bit further in the game it seems like it would really become tedious, a full set of Ebony Armor alone weighs 76. That means my carry weight limit should be at least 254 to even move. And that is a lot... I remember on my last character I always had carry weight problems already, although most of that weight seemed to be an unrealistic amount of potions of course, which is something I definitely don´t want for my current character.

The last thing isn´t an issue for my current character for some time, and maybe the carry weight limit might be fine, but I´m still on the fence about it. I´ll at least try the eating and see how I like it.

BIGwooly

Why should full carry weight be 254? Don't get me wrong, I fully support people playing however they want, but a weight restriction is IMO the best way to make this game more interesting.

So let's use your example, ebony armor set at 76. If you play with a 30% restriction, then you START with the ability to carry 90. So just starting out your character can wear a full set of ebony armor and still have 14 left over. If you're adding to your stamina as you level then your carry ability will increase as you level as well.

The issue with playing without a weight restriction is that it breaks the game's economic system almost immediately. The first time you go into a dungeon, even wearing full armor and carrying a weapon and potions, you can walk out with 180+ worth of loot. So now you're level 2 maybe and you already have several thousand gold. Before you know it you're barely level 4 and you have more gold than you know what to spend it on.

Again, I'm not telling you how to play, I'm just trying to give you insight on why it's beneficial to at least play with a weight restriction. When you do, it feels much more satisfying when you finally manage to get a decent amount of gold, because it takes a more realistic amount of time. And it's also fun because now you have to make tough decisions. Go with the full ebony set or maybe something a bit lighter so you can carry more potions or a heavier weapon?

Anyways, good luck with the journal and have fun playing. Just wanted to offer my 2 cents. d;-)

Drecon

Hm, that math made sense in my head but it's of course completely off.

On the broken economy thing I agree. In fact I've set some looting rules for myself to fix it. These rules aren't really set in stone yet as I am still experimenting a bit with what I like. A few things though are not looting weapons and armor; no gems, money or jewelry. I can carry enchanted items for the enchantments and of course quest items.

Also I'm going to set weight limits on my potions and alchemy ingredients, although I'm not really sure how much yet.

In short: I agree with the goals, but I'm not sure I want to keep to the same methods. I might actually arrive at the same end here actually, but give it some time.

Also, I remembered another important rule I always set for myself: "Do not taste alchemical ingredients, it's disgusting. Experimenting is fine, and using recipes is also acceptable. Just don't put Bear claws in your mouth."

Yeah, it is pretty fun to figure out what works best for yourself. One thing I like to do is wait one hour after I loot each person or skin an animal. I forces you think about what you need, and when you need it.

Drecon

Yeah, it is pretty fun to figure out what works best for yourself. One thing I like to do is wait one hour after I loot each person or skin an animal. I forces you think about what you need, and when you need it.

With my current character I waited for three actually because she found the skinning of the wolf so disgusting that she had to pause a few times to ensure not throwing up.

Anyway, the eating thing seems to work for now. Not sure if I'm going to be able to keep it up but we'll see soon enough.

Next update is coming, currently working on it.

Drecon

19, Last Seed 201

I'm really glad all the madness has passed. Still, the adventure is really only just beginning. I'm on a mission.

But first things first. Gerdur gave me some food to take and I had a good breakfast and enough to last me through the day.
I also had a talk with her about politics. She's a really nice woman and she seems to know what she's talking about.
I also had a quick talk with Ralof. He again told me I should consider joining the Stormcloacks and had some pretty good arguments.
I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but he seems pretty convincing.

Meanwhile Hod asked me to chop some wood for him. I spent most of the rest of my morning chopping a few pieces of Firewood. It's kind of refreshing to do this kind of work, but after a few pieces I've realized this isn't really my kind of work in the long run.
Anyway, I gave him the wood and he gave me a few gold pieces in return.
After that I really wanted to make myself a good pair of boots. However it seems I'm short a bit on the supplies I need to make them. I actually have two parts of leather and one strip, but I need one more strip.
I asked Alvor, the Smith about it and he told me my best bet is to go out hunting some wolves and elk for their skins.

So I decided to get to Whiterun first and warn the Jarl about the dragon. I'll get by on these footwraps a while longer, I've been walking on these for about a month now, it couldn't really get any worse I guess.
On the way I picked a few flowers and mushrooms. My mom always told me almost anything could be used in a potion if you just tried it.
Then I was attacked by a wolf. I summoned my own wolf friend and it beat the attacking wolf easily.
Then came the hard part. I wanted that hide. It took me a while but I got that disgusting skin off of the wolf. I didn't even throw up a bit, although I did have to sit back a few times to get out of that horrid smell.
I scraped the hide clear of any wolf parts and took it with me. At least I'll be able to make some boots now.

When I got near Whiterun I saw a few people battling a giant. I quickly summoned a wolf and let it attack the giant. I also helped a bit with my flames spell.
After the fight a woman stepped up to me and thanked me for helping. She said I should consider joining a group called The Companions. They seem to be a bunch of sell-swords that do work here in Skyrim. That seems like a real good place to start making a name for myself.

I headed further out to Whiterun and I saw a Khajiit trading caravan outside the city. Their leader was an older Khajiit and he had some stuff for sale. I didn't buy anything, I don't actually have that much money right now, but I liked the company anyway.
A guard stopped me at the gates and asked me what my business was in Whiterun. When I told him I was bringing news from Helgen he let me through and said I should head straight to the Jarl.
Once in Whiterun I got into a conversation with a woman called Ysolde. She is apperently trying to become a trader and wants to buy the local inn; "The Bannered Mare" eventually.
To get started she has asked me if I could help her with obtaining a Mammoth Tusk. That sounds like a challenging mission so I agreed. I'm not sure yet where I'm going to get one though, mammoths are really tough creatures as I'm given to understand.

After this last distraction I went straight to the Jarl's palace. It's not easy to miss as the building towers over the entire city. It's called Dragonsreach apparently.
Once I got into the building a savage Dunmer woman approached me, weapon drawn. It was kind of intimidating but she didn't seem to want to attack me.
I told her I was bringing news and she let me through to the Jarl.

I approached Jarl Balgruuf and told him all about Helgen and how Riverwood asked for aid. The Jarl immediately sent some men to Riverwood and thanked me for coming to him.
He also gave me a steel suit of armor. Of course I put it on immediately. It fits so very well. Feels good too.
After that the Jarl asked me to come with him. He led me to Farengar, his court wizard. An arrogant Nord that seems to be really condescending.
Farengar asked me to retrieve something called a dragonstone from Bleak Falls Barrow. Apparently it contains a map of dragon burial sites and it would allow Farengar to learn more about the dragons.

Incidentally the thieves that took the golden claw are also hiding out in Bleak Falls Barrow. I wonder if there's a connection there somewhere.

After all that I walked out of the palace and sat down to eat dinner under the old dead tree that is standing there. There was some guy screaming and preaching about Talos.
After my meal I decided to talk to the guy to find out if he was a lunatic or not. Turns out he considers himself some kind of prophet for Tiber Septim, or as the Nords like to call him: Talos.
I'm still not sure what to make of the guy, but at least he's brave to risk getting picked up the street by the Thalmor.

Now it was getting late so I made my way to the Bannered Mare to rent a room for the night. I also drank the two bottles of mead that Gerdur gave me. If my parents knew about that they'd probably ground me for a week.
Weird to think of something like that now.

Drecon

Note: I'm probably not gonna keep up this pace, but I have a lot of free time on my hands right now, so I'll take them while I can.

20, Last Seed 201.

I awakened feeling very well. I think I'm getting suited to this new life.
I bought supplies from the innkeeper. It cost me nearly all my money, but a girl's gotta eat right?

Next I went to Arcadia's Cauldron. I asked her if I could try to make some potions for myself and she even encouraged me. She hinted that blisterwort and Wheat make a healing potion. I've got to remember that one. It seems useful information.
When I exited the cauldron I saw two guys bullying an old lady. It seems this lady's son has gone missing and she blames these 'Battle-Borns'. I talked to the lady and she asked me to meet her at her home.

I decided that I'd better make the boots I wanted first, to not arouse suspicion. The woman seemed to be a bit paranoid so I decided to humour her a bit.
I tanned the wolf hide and made a beautiful pair of leather boots. They fit me perfectly and I'm very proud of myself for making them.
I wanted to sell my old rags to the local shopkeeper but he told me they weren't even worth anything. I told him to just throw them away then. I'm not going to be using them anymore anyway.

Then I went into house Gray-Mane. There I saw Fralia, the old woman that wanted to talk to me. Before I knew it a big nord guy came bursting in, wielding a big battle-axe. Luckily his mother managed to calm him down and told him I wanted to help. Apparently this is some guy named Avulstein Gray-Mane. He is in hiding from the imperials who he thinks kidnapped his brother and he asked me to look around for evidence. I promised I'd see what I could do. I'm not sure what to do with all this so I'm just gonna sit on this for a while. I hope I'll get to figure it out soon.
I ate a bit of lunch and then went on back to Riverwood. I wanted to get into Bleak Falls Barrow and prove to everyone I can be a warrior.

I took the path into the mountains Camilla showed me and carefully went up the path.
I ran into a wolf that I killed using a summon and my dagger. I managed to skin the beast for its leather. It took me only two hours this time, although it's still really gross.

After that I went further up the mountain and I soon saw the watchtower Camilla told me about. I saw some people up there and I wasn't really sure if they were friends or foes.
When I got too close The two at the gate grabbed for their weapons so I did the same.
I summoned another wolf and sent it after one of them. The other came to me with a large mace in his hand.
He wasn't really ready for me though. I danced around him with my dagger, slashing wildly. It wasn't much of a strategy at first but I soon saw an opening and I managed to get behind him and slit his throat.
My wolf had killed the other guy and I felt brave enough to go into the tower now.

All the way at the top there was another bandit. I summoned another wolf and it rushed up the stairs to attack the bandit.
The bandit had the high ground though, and wolves are not really suited for fighting on stairs so the bandit fought off the wolf. It had given him some wounds already though and I could see the bandit wince a bit as he was coming for me.
I underestimated me though. Again I tried to use my mobility against him and after a few slashes I managed to stab my dagger into the side of his throat.

At the top of the tower the bandits had a chest with in it 42 gold pieces. I found 10 more downstairs so now I've at least got enough to get some more food.
The bandits also had a few barrels of food standing around. I took some cabbages, potatoes and apples and took it all back to Riverwood with me.
Hod and Gerdur welcomed me back with open arms and I used some of their salt to make myself some apple cabbage stew. I left a few of the potatoes for Gerdur and Hod, They'll probably find a good use for them.

As I still had some time left before bedtime I made a little stroll and then read a book called Olaf and the Dragon.
Now as I write this I feel really good about myself. I beat three bandits by myself today. just wait until I tell my parents.

Drecon

20, Last Seed 201

I got up early again and after a nice breakfast started towards Bleak Falls Barrow. I came across the tower with the dead bandits again and decided to throw the unsavory types off the cliff edge. They deserve no more than that.

I then decided it was time to go for Bleak Falls Barrow. I came upon a mighty ruin and started to head up the stairs. I wasn't all the way up yet when suddenly I saw a bandit drawing his sword. I summoned my familiar and backed away a bit.
Then out of nowhere came a big Orc with an even bigger sword. I had my dagger at the ready and started flailing around wildly. The orc had obviously had more training though as he swung with a lot more precision. I managed to dodge his first strike but his next two hit me. I was bleeding hard but fighting even harder. I kept slashing at him and managed to get the better of him somehow.
I looked up just in time to see an arrow go through my wolf and ripping its form apart.
I knew I needed to run, so I ran. All the while healing myself up as best I could with a healing spell my mother taught me a few years ago. An arrow struck my shoulder and I yelled in pain.
At the tower I healed up again, but there was no time for resting. They would not expect me to return so fast so I might get the element of surprise.

As I neared the ruins I started sneaking from stone to stone, always keeping cover in case someone saw me.
Then I saw one of the brigands standing through a crack in the stones. I pulled out the bow Ralof gave me and readied a shot.
The bandit chose that moment to walk over to another spot. It was probably for the best though as I don't actually have any training in archery and probably would have mucked up my element of surprise.
Instead I sprinted up the stairs and summoned my wolf. It ran to the bandit and killed it in a single bite.

As I started to inspect the body I heard a voice behind me. There was someone else. I carefully made my way in the direction of the sound and suddenly a third bandit drew her bow against me.
I had my dagger at the ready and tried to circle around her. I wasn't fast enough though as an arrow pierced my side. Luckily my armor held back most of the blow and it just hurt a little bit.
My strategy worked though. I launched myself at the woman from one side as my wolf attacked her from the other. She didn't even have time to draw another weapon as we killed her in seconds.

As gruesome as this whole business is, I must say that it's a real thrill.

Now I went into the barrow. The temple was beautiful and old but I didn't really have time to enjoy it yet. I saw two bandits talking at the other end of the hall.
I snuck in and overheard them talking about others going on ahead. I didn't wait too long though and I summoned another wolf to take on these brigands.
The wolf fought valiantly and also gave me the chance to get in a few hits with my dagger, but one of the bandits managed to kill my wolf before it could do too much.
I ran back across the hall to try and gain some space. Luckily only one of them followed me. My wolf had already made some deep gashes in his sides and it wasn't too hard for me to best him in his weakened state.
The woman had readied her bow in the meantime and was shooting at me from cover. One of the arrows struck my helmet and pierced my ear. Just a little inch to the right and it might have hit me in the eye.
Again I took advantage of my speed and I dived onto her with my dagger. She couldn't defend herself, cornered as she was, and my dagger found her throat easily.

The bandits had made a little camp for themselves here. I saw bedrolls a small fire and there was a also locked chest. I had my first taste of picking locks just two days earlier so I decided to try it again. It was just as easy as before and the chest had some gold, lockpicks and an iron ingot in it.
I hope I'll find some more Iron. Maybe I'll be able to make some more armor for myself. This leather doesn't feel quite right.

I worked down a piece of bread and a tomato before going on.

I went deeper into the barrow. Everything seemed really old. There were burial urns everywhere and I even found a dead skeever. I cut off its tail as I've heard it makes a good ingredient for alchemy.
(I actually can't believe I'm doing stuff like that now. It's kind of disgusting I guess, but if I really want to be an adventurer like my dad I can't behave like a child anymore)

A little bit further I saw another bandit. I readied my dagger and a spell and started to sneak up on him.
Then suddenly he flicked a switch and poisoned darts came flying from the wall and killed him on the spot.
I'm really glad I saw that, I could've died in that trap otherwise.
Turns out there was some kind of puzzle attached. There were pillars that could rotate and they had symbols on them.
There were three of them and they corresponded to three symbols above the door. Well, one of them seems to have come down in the last century or so, but it was obvious it used to be up there.
I solved the puzzle easily and when I hit the switch a gate opened deeper into the dungeon.

Right after that gate there was a chest next to a table. On the table were a healing potion and a book called 'Thief'.
I took some time to read it and it's a really interesting story. It describes quite graphically some of the skills involved in thievery, in story form of course.
While sitting there I just realized a more efficient way to cast my wolf spell. I think it might help me to conserve some magical energy while casting it, although I have to try it out of course.

The chest contained a small gem, some gold and boots. I don't really need the boots but I might be able to sell them in town.
There was a way down, but just as I started going down I was attacked by three skeevers. Between my wolf and dagger I made short work of them of course.

I came to a room which contained a table. On the table there was a scroll which was titled 'Fireball'. I decided to take it with me.
Going further down the hall I suddenly heard a voice calling out to me. The voice sounded very scared so I proceeded with caution.
I came upon a doorway that was covered with spiderwebs. I hacked my way through and I entered the room behind it.
Suddenly a gigantic spider came from the ceiling and started making its way to me.
I summoned my wolf and the wolf and spider started fighting each other. I did not dare come too close but readied the fireball scroll instead. I took in its content and felt the spell wash through me.
When I saw my wolf being dispelled and the spider coming for me I released the spell. A great explosion stunned the great beast for a second but it kept coming for me.
I raced up through the doorway and thanks to my new insights into summoning I managed to fire off another wolf spell.
The wolf drove the spider back just enough for me to charge into the room and get back up behind the spider.
The combined efforts of the fireball, the wolves and my dagger eventually was enough to slay the abomination.
I tapped some of the spider's poison in the hopes it will be useful some day.

All the while the scared man kept screaming at me. Apparently this was the thief that stole the golden claw that Camilla and her brother want back.
I decided to keep the thief hanging a while longer while I searched the nearby egg sacks for some of the spider's eggs. The egg sacks were disgusting but I did it more to irritate the thief than to actually obtain the eggs.
I talked to the thief and he promised to show me how the claw worked if I would just cut him down first.
My father always said I'm too trusting of people. I cut the guy down and he immediately ran for it.
I cautiously followed him into a chamber that contained some sort of altar. There I saw one of the soul gems my teachers always talked about. It is said that one of these gems can actually hold a creature's soul if you know the right spell. I picked it up and slipped it in my pocked as I continued chasing the thief.

I went down the hall and couldn't believe the next thing I saw. The thief was fighting a walking dead body.
I didn't really have time to think it through as I saw another one getting up across the room.
I quickly summoned my wolf but instead of attacking the walking corpse that was now coming for me, it charged all the way to another one that was also there.
Carefully I tried a swipe at the corpse, but it mostly just ignored it as it raised it's sword to attack me.

I ran for it of course. The thing kept following me though, so I decided to try my fire spell on it instead.
The fire burned straight through the thing and it seemed to be really hurt. I didn't get time to recover though as another joined the first and now both were going after me.
As I ran further back into the ruin I drank one of the magic potions I picked up earlier and I found the strength again to summon a new wolf.
It was just in time too as the dead guy stormed in after me and it and the wolf started fighting. Luckily my wolf was stronger and it killed the corpse. Or killed it again... I'm not sure which wording makes any sense when you're talking about the living dead.
There was no time to recover though as the other corpse stormed in right after the first one. I seem to be getting better at fighting though as I took it down with just a few swings with my weapon.

Cautiously I walked back to the room to find the dead body of the thief. I got myself to actually searching his body and came up with the golden claw and some kind of journal.
Now if it was just the claw I was after I might have turned back right then but there was still the matter of the Dragonstone and Farengar had made it clear that it needed to be found quite swiftly.
The thief had died right next to an ingenious trap consisting of a pressure plate with a swinging door attached.

I walked past and saw a flicker of movement coming from an alcove. There was a corpse lying there that didn't look all that dead to me.
I slashed at it with my dagger and sure enough it came alive. I slashed at it again but it didn't even seem to affect the creature.
While the dead guy used some kind of ice spell on me I ran back through the hall and passed the trap. I was hoping the dead guy would trigger it but sadly it didn't. I summoned another wolf and for a few seconds I thought there would be a fair fight.
Sadly my wolf got dispatched very quickly and I ran back inside the dungeon, past the trap. Luckily the dead guy wasn't paying attention to the floor as he triggered the pressure plate.
The spiked fence came right up to it and flung it so far away that I couldn't even find the body when I went looking for it.

I pressed on and sure enough there were three other corpses standing around. I summoned my wolf again and it did some damage to one of them before being killed violently.
Two of the corpses pursued me as I ran up the stairs back through the spiked trap but sadly they did not trigger it.
I summoned another wolf and together we got both the corpses out of the way.
I went back to find the third had taken up a bow. When I summoned my wolf again though he took out a blade and engaged my wolf in battle.
When my dagger found his neck I got a really good idea on how to use my blade to deal more damage to the enemy.
I just wished I had a bigger one, like a sword. That would make it a lot easier overall.

I continued to fight some more corpses, each as fearsome as the next. In one room there was oil all over the floor, which I set on fire to kill it in a second, in a next I had to slash violently at one with an axe that almost cut me in half.
I found some chests, two of them locked, that contained some gold, potions (one that could actually turn me invisible) and a heavy axe that looked to heavy for me. I want to stay quick and mobile and an axe like that would only drag me down.

I went through a door and after a while came upon a corridor with swinging axes. I ran through, only getting slightly hurt by one of the axes.
I was greeted by a whole bunch of the walking corpses. I quickly summoned another wolf and ran back trough the corridor of swinging axes.
This time one of the axes hit me hard from the side. Luckily my wolf kept me safe while I downed two potions and healed myself with a spell some more.
When I looked through the corridor I saw my wolf getting killed and one of the corpses came at me through the corridor of axes. By some twist of fate he blindly missed all of the axes and continued at me.
Luckily he was hurt by my wolf already and when I savagely sliced at him he went down without too much trouble.
I wasn't out of the woods yet though. One more archer was on the other side of the corridor.
I timed it right and sprinted through the hallway, all the axes narrowly missing me this time.
As the archer backed up and managed to land a single arrow into my gut I cut the corpse into little pieces.
Catching my breath I figured I had been using my blade all wrong all this time. I tried a few new poses and figured a whole new way to handle it.

I pushed on and came upon a new puzzle. There was a large door that contained three rings with symbols on it. In the center were a few holes that fit perfectly with the golden claw I had with me.
I had studied the journal of the thief and it said "the solution is in the palm of your hand". I studied the claw and indeed, the palm contained three symbols that corresponded with some of the symbols on the door.
The circles could be rotated to find new symbols and I aligned them in the order: bear, moth, owl. As soon as I inserted the claw into the holes the circles started turning on their own and the door sank into the ground letting me through.

The next room was a great cavern that was somehow mesmerizing. I carefully walked in and was startled by a swarm of bats flying into me.
I pushed on however and felt myself drawn to a wall that had text on it. It was in a writing I had not seen before yet seemed familiar somehow.
One word in particular stood out to me. I knew it meant "Fus", although I know I have not learned that word before.

The suddenly I was snapped out of my trance as behind me I heard a loud bang. The coffin behind me was thrust open and a corpse stood up out of it.
I immediately summoned a wolf and readied my blade. This corpse was not going to go down easily though. I slashed at it with my blade, but when it sliced its sword straight through my wolf I was forced to back up a bit.
I summoned another wolf and got back up to the abomination again, continually driving my blade into its dead flesh.
When it also killed my second wolf I ran back a bit and readied my flame spell. I shot at it until I could no longer keep it up.
It seemed reasonably effective so I downed two more magicka potions while retreating ever further and then I felt my power returning I fired a second volley at it.
It didn't kill the creature but I saw that it was very much weakened now. I jumped on it and after a few slices with my dagger it fell to the ground lifelessly.

I took a moment to catch my breath and then made for the chest that was standing next to the coffin.
I rummaged through it and found a few nice treasures. A nice looking shield, a hunting bow that has an enchantment on it, some gold and a magic ring.
There was no sign of a dragonstone though. It was then I realized that I had to actually feel into the dead guys robes to try and find it there.
Disgusted I felt its cold hard flesh. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever felt. The Dragonstone was there though, on the dead guy.
I took it and left the room as fast as I could.

After that I walked up the stairs and exited through a secret passage in the side of the mountain. It came unto the river and I just followed it downstream.
I came across a shack where I met a nice old lady living there by herself. I didn't really have time to char though as it was getting pretty late.
Pretty soon I saw the first houses of Riverwood. I ran into the village and intro Hod and Gerdur's house. Then I just flung myself onto the bed and fell asleep instantly.

Drecon

21, Last Seed 201

I woke up feeling great today. My muscles hurt all over, so I wanted to take it slow today. Again, fate had something else in mind for me.

The day started off easily enough. I decided to return the golden claw to Lucan and Camilla. They were overjoyed to see it again and I feel great for having helped them.
I sold a few minor things to them and got some new supplies. Then I decided to try my hand a some more smithing. I had another wolf hide so I used the leather from it to improve the boots I found in the crypt a bit before selling them to Alvor, the smith.

Then I felt ready to do some real work. I made a sword for myself. It needs a name I guess, but I haven't decided on one yet.
Speaking of weapons, I've looked a bit at the bow and ring I picked up in the ruins. They both have really nice enchantments on them.
I'm no expert yet but I'd say that the bow can be used for filling up the two soul gems I picked up and the ring makes one make better use of heavy armor. I'm looking forward to learning more about these things.

But there was still the matter of the dragonstone of course. After a short rest I went back to Whiterun.
On the way I came upon a strange character that called himself Ma'iq. I'm really not sure if he's crazy or too smart for me to follow, but I'm pretty sure there's something up with him.
The rest of my trip to Whiterun was relatively uneventful, in Whiterun itself I came upon a man called Amren. Apparently he has some kind of ancestral sword that he really wants back. He knows of a cave where some bandits have it locked away somewhere. I promised him I would try to find it if I had the time.

First though I returned to Farengar with the dragonstone. He seemed surprised that a sixteen year old girl was capable of doing something as dangerous as I did. The look on his face was worth every ache I still had in my shoulders.
There was also a woman there that was apparently the one that found the location of the stone. She complimented me on my accomplishment. I hope to see her again some day, she seems really nice.

However, we were not even fully done talking when the world went mad again. Irileth, the Jarl's protector stormed in and told me and Farengar to come along.
She led us to the Jarl where a guard explained that he had seen another dragon flying over the western watchtower.
The Jarl ordered Irileth to take a detachment of guards to the watchtower and defend Whiterun. He also asked me, personally, to accompany them and gave me a helmet from his personal armory to protect myself. It is an Iron helmet with some kind of Magic-boosting enchantment on it. I'm going to have to look a lot closer at it to figure out the specifics though.
We hurried to the gates where Irileth instructed the guards on our mission. The guards seemed hesitant at first but at the end of her speech all of us were fired up for battle. Se really has a way with words that woman.

When we came to the watchtower I could not believe my eyes. Fires were burning everywhere and the watchtower was completely destroyed. Irileth told us to look for survivors.
I soon saw a soldier hiding in the doorway of the ruined tower. He told us the dragon was still out there.
The words had just left his mouth as we heard a great roar coming from above. A shadow fell over us.
I looked up and there it was. A dragon was actually attacking us.

I summoned a wolf and then drew my bow. I know I'm not very good with it, but the only other thing IO know is my sword.
The dragon flew over again and breathed fire, burning my wolf to a crisp instantly. I could not get a good shot in so I tried to circle around a bit.
Then the dragon circled back and landed right next to me. I had my sword and shield in hand in a second and I managed a few bleeding gashes on its neck.

The dragon didn't sit still though and it breathed fire right in my face. I turned and ran for cover, while using a healing spell to recover from the burns as best I could.
I was back on my feet in no time and again readied my sword and my shield, waiting for the right time to strike. Every muscle in my body was protesting right about now, but I knew I had to see this through.
Just a few moments later the dragon landed again, quite close to me. I hacked at it a few more times, wounding it greatly in the process. My reward was another faceful of fire.

I turned tail and ran again, feeling death get nearer and nearer. I quickly downed three healing potions on my run and used another healing spell while the rest of the guards were keeping the dragon at bay.
When I turned around the dragon was still on the ground and I saw my chance. I readied my bow and fired an arrow straight at its head. It was like time slowed down as the arrow flew at the dragon and pierced its scales, disappearing right into the brain.
As time seemed to return to its normal state the dreamlike feeling stayed. I felt myself drawn to the dragon's corpse somehow.
Somewhere in the back of my mind I heard Irileth say something about staying away but I could only walk towards the dragon.

Then a stream of energy seemed to come from the dragon and go into me. It was not just energy though. There was something else.
Knowledge.
The glowing word I had read just yesterday seemed to burn in my mind again. "Fus". It meant "Force". But not just that, it also meant being the force, pushing everything aside. The Dragon's knowledge somehow passed into me.

Then everything returned to normal, except now I felt that I had some more power in a way. I felt that I could shout the word Fus and it would give me power.
I shouted and the air itself seemed to bend around my voice. It was the strangest thing I had ever done.
Then all around me guards came up to me and one said I was something called "Dragonborn".
According to legends there used to be people that could absorb the souls of dragons, he said that was what I did.
Irileth didn't care much for that but she did appreciate the fact that the dragon was dead. She suggested that I should see the Jarl about all this.

As I went back to Whiterun, more confused than anything else suddenly the ground shook. I heard a voice call something like "Dovakin" or something.
I went back into town and there were two redguards talking to the guard. I was too distracted to really follow what they were saying but one of them said they were looking for a redguard woman somewhere in Whiterun and to tell them if I saw one.
I made a distant remark about keeping my eyes open and hurried on to Dragonsreach.

The Jarl asked me about the dragonborn and he remarked that there might be something else going on. I told him I absorbed the energy from the dragon.
He seemed to be expecting an answer like that as he immediately went on about a group called "The Greybeards". Apparently they were the ones that called out to me hard enough for the ground itself to shake.
The Jarl said I should go to them immediately. He told me about the path of 7000 steps that starts in Ivarstead and goes all the way up to a place called High Hrotgar.

As if that wasn't enough he also named me Thane of Whiterun and gave me an enchanted axe to serve as my badge of office. Apparently I am now a person of great importance in Whiterun Hold.
He has also appointed me a housecarl. Apparently she is supposed to take care of my belongings, although I don't really own anything.

It's all a little much to take in. I rented a room at the Bannered Mare for the night but I had a lot of trouble sleeping. I think I lay awake for at least three hours before finally falling asleep.
I hope tomorrow things will seem a bit clearer.

Drecon

22, last seed 201

Today I decided to take it slow, give my muscles some rest and think some stuff through.

After a light breakfast I decided to go on a small hunting trip. Not for the meat actually but I found the soul gems very interesting and I really wanted to experiment with them a bit.
I still had the bow that could catch souls with me so I went out to the plains to try and hunt some game.
First I saw an Elk. I fired an arrow at it and hit, but the creature ran away faster than I could follow. I don't think I'm really built for chasing elk so after a short chase I gave up and started looking for easier prey.
I found some mudcrabs in a nearby pool and decided to shoot one of them. My arrow struck and I felt the crab's soul leaking into the soul gem.
That was a success so I went on a bit to find a lone wolf just standing by itself. I crouched to keep hidden and before it could notice me fired an arrow right into its chest. I might actually be getting better at this archery thing, but I still don't particularly care for it. It's a coward's way out in my book.

Both my gems filled I returned to Whiterun. I wanted to find out a little more about enchanting. I spoke to Farengar about it, but he was quite rude, just saying I should find out by myself. He did show me an enchanting table though and I started to try it out for myself.

The next bit shames me a bit, but I swear I didn't know what I was doing at all.
I wanted to find out more about the enchanted axe Balgruuf gave me, so I started to study it on the enchanting table.
The suddenly it crumbled to dust in my hands. I really didn't want to break it, but it just happened.
Actually I think it is part of the process with learning new enchantments at the table. After the axe I also studied the magic ring, bow and helm, revealing four different enchantments total.
I enchanted my old bow with the soul trap enchantment from the other bow, and enchanted my steel armor with an enchantment that makes me better at using heavy armors.

I think I actually learned a lot from all this, as I came to a few new insights into enchanting in the process. I think I might be able to make some stronger enchantments in the future.

I went back into Whiterun and decided to try and kill some time looking around. I came into the Hall of the Dead and I saw a priest of Arkay sitting glumly in a corner.
He told me the dead in the hall had come alive and he would really like some help in getting rid of them and in the process retrieving his amulet.
I offered to help him and went in there. I immediately ran into three armed skeletons. They attacked me on sight. Luckily I had already drawn my shield and sword and was ready for them.

They proved to be stronger than I thought though. I quickly put one down, but the other two were quickly ganging up on me. One of them had a heavy war axe and managed to get past my shield, making a bloody gash on my arm.
I ran past both and around a corner, drinking two whole healing potions in the process. I felt my strength returning and turned around to face them.
Now prepared I held my shield up and slashed at them deliberately. One of them went down before it could do anything to me but the other kept advancing, raining steady blows on me with his war axe. I was faster though and I managed to put it down in just a few hits.
Healing up again, I explored the hall of the dead further. At the back there was a chamber containing an altar. On the altar I found the missing amulet.
On my way out I saw some kind of unusual gem. It seemed really out of place in this crypt so I decided to take it with me.
The priest was very happy to have his amulet back and he gave me some gold for my troubles.

After that I spent some more time just going around town talking to people. I talked to a few Battle-Borns about the situation with Thorald Gray-Mane and their relationship with the Gray-Manes in general but I didn't seem to be getting anywhere.
I also asked some merchants about the gem I found. One of them said I should go to Riften with it. There are a few appraisers there that might actually be able to tell me something useful about it.
I came to Adrianne Avenicci next and she asked me a favor. She had just finished a blade that she called her best work. She wanted me to give it to her father, the steward at Dragonsreach, and ask him to present it to the Jarl when he felt the time was right.
I agreed to do it and after a short trip to Dragonsreach I was 20 gold coins richer. I also spoke to the steward about some other things though. He hinted that there was a house for sale in Whiterun at this time and that it might be fit for a Thane.
Sadly, I don't have nearly enough money to buy a house now so I'd probably better get it out of my head to do anything like that.
It would be nice to own my own house though, someday.

I figured I'd better get back to the Bannered Mare to sit by the fire for a while.
As I was eating my dinner though I suddenly remembered about the two redguard men from earlier that were asking about a redguard woman.
The waitress was a redguard woman and I called her over. I told her about the two men that were looking for her and she asked me to go upstairs with her.
Once there she pulled a knife on me and started asking about the two men.
I got her to calm down a bit and she told me the whole story about how she was being chased by a band of assassins from Hammerfell. I felt for her as I too have been in the company of Redguard bandits for too long.
I promised to help her and she asked me to look in the dungeons to find one of the bandits that they caught.

I wasn't really looking to spend my evening doing this but the woman looked really frightened and As my mom always told me, us women have got to look out for one another.
I wasn't really tired yet so I decided to head into the Dragonsreach dungeons right away.
There I found the bandit, locked away behind iron bars. I asked him about Kematu (the bandit leader). He scoffed at me and said I would only die if I wanted to look for the guy.
I couldn't get anything else out of him, but he told me he would talk if I paid his fine.
It was 100 septims. Quite a lot but I feel compelled to help this poor woman out of this mess. The bandit told me he was already disgraced so he could never return to those bandits.
That was good enough for me so I paid the fine. The bandit told me about a certain cave where the bandits were hiding. I'm not sure whether to trust him but I'm going to check there anyway.

First I had to get a bed for the night though. I returned to The Bannered Mare and after a bit of Wine I hired the same room I had last night.
I'm still not clear on the business of being dragonborn and thane and stuff, but at least I seem to be doing well for myself at the moment. I'll decide on what to do tomorrow after a nice long sleep.