• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kind of Hazy

What way do you guys play and why?
I personally prefer 3rd person in most situations. 3rd really gives you a chance to take in the world around you, as well as catching that baddie sneaking up on you. Plus you get to see all that bad ass armor you crafted. And the ability to pan the camera around you to check around corners and get that perfect screen shot is awesome.

1st person is for swimming only. Swimming while in 3rd is awkward, cumbersome and it is hard to see the barnacles and eggs lying around.

Panthera

Don Gato
I prefer 1st person.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
I usually flip between them randomly depending on my mood. I find combat easier in 1st but more satisfying in 3rd. I try and use 3rd when I'm running around because, as you said, no point crafting that gorgeous Ebony armor if you don't look at it whenever you can :)

Tom

Article Writer
i go 1st person when i go exploring or using my bow.

i also find sneak for me works better in 1st person

however i prefer to be in 3rd for combat because it looks better, and it gives me a better view of enemy's who may be sneaking up behind me.

A5ko

Dual-Wielding Dragon Destroyer
When I have to sneak i'll switch to 3rd to allow me a greater view of the area and around corners.

BabyMickers

Totally sweet
First person exclusively, except when trying to climb steep rock faces. Then third person is mandatory. It's so much easier to climb in third person.
How on earth does it make it "easier" to climb by changing your view? Hold the stick forward and move side to side while spamming jump...
But really what do you mean?

If you play a TES game you should use FP. Play any other game in recorded history if you really prefer 3rd person. That's just MO though...

Slow Rider

How on earth does it make it "easier" to climb by changing your view? Hold the stick forward and move side to side while spamming jump...
But really what do you mean?

If you play a TES game you should use FP. Play any other game in recorded history if you really prefer 3rd person. That's just MO though...

Well, I use a PC, so I can't relate to your stick comment. But what I mean is that in third person, it is a heck of a lot easier to see your feet and where they are with respect to the climbable (and jumpable) surfaces. In first person, you pretty much have to do the trial-and-error thing. I can scale a steep hill or rock face much more easily in 3rd than I can in 1st. But your mileage may vary.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I tried 3rd person in combat. It was really hard since I disabled crosshair... Also, it looks pretty awkward playing in 3rd person. When I turn, my character doesn't turn with me and if I move toward where the camera is facing, the character immediately turns without any continuation. That's my main issue with travel or exploring in 3rd person.

Dragon Bourne

Long Live Paarthurnax!
I use 3rd person when trewveling but when I need fine control (fighting, picking stuff up, chatting with folks) I switch back to move myself out of my way. I was exclusively 1st person but I found that I enjoy seeing myself running around in the world and it makes it more real in 3rd person.

Garrison

I use 3rd person exclusively. I find it much more enjoyable to watch the full character in the environment. I've gotten so used to it, that if i accidentally zoom into 1st, there's a moment of panic when I feel blind!

VictoireXII

Crazed Skyrim Photographer
I use 3rd person exclusively. I find it much more enjoyable to watch the full character in the environment. I've gotten so used to it, that if i accidentally zoom into 1st, there's a moment of panic when I feel blind!

Me as well! I play third person majority of the time, unless I'm using a bow, or in conversations. It's rather difficult to aim with the bow in third person, and you get more detail in first person conversations, everything else, I use third person :D

skindog

I can't stand third person! Probably because I play far too many FPS games, and I feel as if in 1st person I'm more immersed in the game. Only dowmside for me is not being able to see how badass I look in my daedric armour :p

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Yeah, I play in first person usually whether I'm in combat or not. Only go in third if I need to see something around me.

Stone

Retired Moderator
Most of the time I play 1st person. I only switch to 3rd if I get bored, or want to see my new armour/weapon on my character.

VictoireXII

Crazed Skyrim Photographer
I can't stand third person! Probably because I play far too many FPS games, and I feel as if in 1st person I'm more immersed in the game. Only dowmside for me is not being able to see how badass I look in my daedric armour :p

Hey, I play alot of FPSes too! But I have always played Bethesda games in Third person, (Oblivion, Fallout 3 , Fallout NV, and now Skyrim ) :p Not 100% in 3rd person though! More like 85%! :p

Whaaat

I play first person when in combat or sneaking and about to attack, and third when I'm just roaming or trying to look around in sneak mode (before I'm ready to attack). I tend to mess up in combat more when I'm in third person.

Kablewee

When I have to sneak i'll switch to 3rd to allow me a greater view of the area and around corners.
Same here, and also when I'm traveling but 1st view when in combat. Although I found hunting deers and wild life more enjoyable in 3rd :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts