• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I rolled at least a half dozen characters from sword & board, full mage, spellswords, archer/assassins, and nothing kept me truly happy.

This time I rolled a Paladin, 1H and resto, Lost Paladin from Nexus Mod Manager (all white and silver!), got her to level 30 then activated the mod that stops all leveling and skill progression so I could just "play the game" from now on.

My perks are set, mostly slash with my right hand, heal with my left and am having a total blast!

Ambrosia Alexia is a beast and I love having anti-undead weapon enchants as I roleplay a Holy Valkyrie type Paladin who aspires to be the world's greatest dragonslayer.

How long and how many characters did you guys go through before you were finally content?

Or are you still searching like I was?

I'm at a point where I'm fairly certain I've found my character....

I've gone through about 8 or something like that. My main is a Level 22 High Elf Warrior. I use Sword and Shield, but I also have a big focus on Archery as well. I like his appearance the most, and melee is fun.

Deleted my Level 23 Redguard Mage and I'm rerolling him as a High Elf. (I love Altmer.)

Saozig

Hippy
I could do without leveling up, in the general sense, but I love improving skills. I wish I could play a variant of the game where it's just about improving skills, sort of based on the Angi's Camp model of training and practice + gametime experience using those skills, and not about levels. (Seriously, Bethesda, call me. I'm full of ideas. We can do this.)

When I started playing Skyrim I hated archery and block, because I sucked at them. Now archery is my favorite skill, and I like having block as a fall-back skill, because I actually had to learn these while playing the game. I think the game makes it too easy to overpower opponents with offensive melee weapons or spells as well as protect yourself with armor and spells. I played several characters who relied on those easier-to-acquire skills (for me), ones that were variations of battlemages and spellswords mostly. But my play style really steered me toward to an archer/ranger/adventurer type. Now I'm playing archer types, one that I want to evolve into a pure mage (which I've never done), although she's kind of in this archer/spellsword intermediary stage right now, and the other will remain magic-less except for restoration, and I'd like him to evolve to be the best archer I've played so far as well as develop his thief skills.

I will perhaps eventually try a ranger type who's main weapon is sword and shield, with archery as a secondary, and force that char to really develope a balanced technique of 1H and block. It is much more fun to get into a real fight where you "dance" and block, avoiding as much damage as possible like you would in real life, and not just clobber clobber clobber your opponent and then cast a restoration spell. I'm really good at the latter tactic. Utterly no style, no skill, no nuance, just total aggression. And that's why it's boring. Sadly the way Skyrim is designed, it doesn't give you as much opportunity to develop such a balanced, nuanced technique as opposed to the Me Hit Bandit Hard approach.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I am currently rolling a new Breton rogue, but I have found my two favorites
1. Bosmer Archer
2. Dunmer Pyromancer (Pure Mage)

ThriceHeart

Last Hunter of Toru-Manawa
After creating and roleplaying all of my Characters, (About 8 or 9 so far) I would say I am content with my progress. Now for me the difficult part is writing the encounters of my characters into different journals for Fan fiction, and rewriting their backstories to interconnect with my other characters.

Urzek

I've already tried roleplaying a Paladin. I also tried that lost paladin armor mod (look at my avatar). But after finishing the Main and Dawnguard quest line i got kinda bored. I rerolled numerous characters but i still don't get the same feeling when i was playing my Paladin.

But i'll try a Scout/Vagabond/Hunter right now. Focuses on archery, one hand and blocking and RUNNING!

Skulli

I abandoned the Lost Pally armor once I got my hands on the old Morrowind craftable Ordinator armor mod.

My hulking Nord looks pissa wicked in that mask and armor!

Being able to self heal with my left hand and do sick damage via my double-enchanted Dragon Sword now that I have all my perks in place is a lot of fun.I had to turn up the difficulty finally.

I also love having all leveling and skill progression locked via the mod, so all I need focus on is actually playing the game and experiencing the content.

It's also fun to use that mod for a level 1-10 character, almost reminds me of low level twinking in WoW only where the opponents are equal or sometimes better than your hero.

Urzek

Just made a hunter/ranger character a while ago and it's quite fun. Also downloaded a hunting guild mod for hunting quests. Kinda fun, living in the wilds and hunting animals.

Gowsh

Old Fart
I abandoned the Lost Pally armor once I got my hands on the old Morrowind craftable Ordinator armor mod.

My hulking Nord looks pissa wicked in that mask and armor!

Hmmm. Very elfin Indoril armor on a Nord Valkyrie.

I'm sure it's a great look, but how the heck did she manage to get the helmet over her head? ;)

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I probably remade my two main characters a Nord warrior and a Breton Mage/assassin half a dozen times each before was happy with them.

theoduck

If persimmons approach, Khajiit will smell them.
I could do without leveling up, in the general sense, but I love improving skills. I wish I could play a variant of the game where it's just about improving skills, sort of based on the Angi's Camp model of training and practice + gametime experience using those skills, and not about levels. (Seriously, Bethesda, call me. I'm full of ideas. We can do this.)

When I started playing Skyrim I hated archery and block, because I sucked at them. Now archery is my favorite skill, and I like having block as a fall-back skill, because I actually had to learn these while playing the game. I think the game makes it too easy to overpower opponents with offensive melee weapons or spells as well as protect yourself with armor and spells. I played several characters who relied on those easier-to-acquire skills (for me), ones that were variations of battlemages and spellswords mostly. But my play style really steered me toward to an archer/ranger/adventurer type. Now I'm playing archer types, one that I want to evolve into a pure mage (which I've never done), although she's kind of in this archer/spellsword intermediary stage right now, and the other will remain magic-less except for restoration, and I'd like him to evolve to be the best archer I've played so far as well as develop his thief skills.

I will perhaps eventually try a ranger type who's main weapon is sword and shield, with archery as a secondary, and force that char to really develope a balanced technique of 1H and block. It is much more fun to get into a real fight where you "dance" and block, avoiding as much damage as possible like you would in real life, and not just clobber clobber clobber your opponent and then cast a restoration spell. I'm really good at the latter tactic. Utterly no style, no skill, no nuance, just total aggression. And that's why it's boring. Sadly the way Skyrim is designed, it doesn't give you as much opportunity to develop such a balanced, nuanced technique as opposed to the Me Hit Bandit Hard approach.

Mehitabel has to be one of the most in-shape people in all of Skyrim. All the sprinting, dodging, parrying she does means the guys just keep on a-calling. Trouble is, they are all horrid and want to kill her.

I guess she is a "James Bond" character build; she has to know a little of everything because nearly everyone seems bent on killing her in all sorts of interesting ways.

With the mods I have installed and my "system" of levelling (Health, Stamina, Health, Magicka, Health, Stamina, etc...), none of her basic stats are ever going to be godlike, but damn if she can't outrun pretty much everyone and everything. And run she does...

Vinven

I decided to reroll my breton mage, completely legit this time. I spent a lot of time setting his appearance, coming up with a last name, and writing a back story for the character. I then went and leveled up and got gear and gold completely legit, even though I was tempted when I needed 25,000 to buy Proudspire Manor. Ryn Corentin the Breton Mage is now level 35 and a graduate of the winterhold college, owner of proudspire manor, and husband to Vivienne Onis. I just love this character, and all without using cheating.

(Yeah I used console commands to marry Vivienne, not exactly cheating :p )

theoduck

If persimmons approach, Khajiit will smell them.
I decided to reroll my breton mage, completely legit this time. I spent a lot of time setting his appearance, coming up with a last name, and writing a back story for the character. I then went and leveled up and got gear and gold completely legit, even though I was tempted when I needed 25,000 to buy Proudspire Manor. Ryn Corentin the Breton Mage is now level 35 and a graduate of the winterhold college, owner of proudspire manor, and husband to Vivienne Onis. Feels like I am playing for the first time.

(Yeah I used console commands to marry her, not exactly cheating :p )

I keep seeing all of this stuff about "legit" characters. What does that mean? No console? No training (paid or unpaid)? There is so much free $$$ just lying around Skyrim I can't see ever being unable to afford anything after level 15 or so. Unless there is something else I do that is not "legit," I'd say Mehitabel is legit.

Skulli

I decided to reroll my breton mage, completely legit this time. I spent a lot of time setting his appearance, coming up with a last name, and writing a back story for the character. I then went and leveled up and got gear and gold completely legit, even though I was tempted when I needed 25,000 to buy Proudspire Manor. Ryn Corentin the Breton Mage is now level 35 and a graduate of the winterhold college, owner of proudspire manor, and husband to Vivienne Onis. I just love this character, and all without using cheating.

(Yeah I used console commands to marry Vivienne, not exactly cheating :p )
Also thinking of a "legit" Breton mage.

I'd love to know your spec / perk priorities when you have the time.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts