• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lilfish43

Hey! So has some of you may know... I lost all my memory because of some stupid glitch :sadface: Anyway I am going to make a new character tonight and I would love to see some feedback from you guys.

What race should I be?
Magic or Weapons?
Bow or Sword?
Fire, Ice, Lightning?
Companion?

I would like to be a Nord, Mage, Bow, Fire & Ice. But what do you guy's use????

Onyx

I myself have dabbled in a few different types/races but my abosolute fav that I am now concentrating on is my Argonian Assassin focusing on Sneak, Archery, 1H, Light Armor and Alchemy :)

I would suggest you play the way you enjoy :) So many possibilities and Skyrim really allows you the creative freedom to play how you like without being stuck into a playstyle/class you may not necessarily enjoy.

For the class you described you might want to put a few perks into sneak in order to get the 3 x Sneak Attack Bonus with Bow. Makes for a nice opener

Lilfish43

I want to be an Imperial or a Nord Mage.... I dont know which is better

Onyx

Both are viable (High Elf and Breton have slightly better starting bonuses for mages but all chars are viable).

Imperials: Get slightly more coin from loot and also have a spell to calm (make non-hostile) an enemy 1 time per day which can be useful for a mage

Nord: 50% Frost resistance is handy, especially against mages or Dragons (half of which use frost spells the other half use fire) giving you a bit more survivability. Also Nords have the Warcry ability which is a small area of effect ability that causes enemies to flee for 30 sec's I believe. This is also highly useful when you are surrounded

Lilfish43

I was a nord and didnt like it cause i accidently used Battle Cry and everone attacked lol but i enjoy Voice of the Emporer

Onyx

I was a nord and didnt like it cause i accidently used Battle Cry and everone attacked lol but i enjoy Voice of the Emporer
That can happen :) But can be a life saver when ganked by several hard mobs (like thugs...3 of them ambush you if you steal from certain people and they are pretty tough, especially at lower levels).

But again, best advise I can give is to play with the race/style you enjoy :)

Titanburner

Premium Member
Hey! So has some of you may know... I lost all my memory because of some stupid glitch :sadface: Anyway I am going to make a new character tonight and I would love to see some feedback from you guys.

What race should I be?
Magic or Weapons?
Bow or Sword?
Fire, Ice, Lightning?
Companion?

I would like to be a Nord, Mage, Bow, Fire & Ice. But what do you guy's use????

This is what i've recently being playing as. Seems to work very well and I get the best of both worlds. Although i've tweaked it a bit to drop the fire, ice and shock enchament perks to get the last point in Armsman and pick up the 1/2 Magicka Expert level of Resto.

http://skyrimforum.com/threads/detailed-builds.989/#post-9269

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
I'm a breton battle mage.... Probably my next character would be a Nord also i like the Dark Elves.. i wanna go full melee with my Nord with some magic for protection.
What i recomend is any race that you chose you should be and hybrid capable of handling most situations.
Ex. if you run as a High Elf magic user, you should be able to survive when you ran out of magicka. Equiping some shield and weapon to deal some damage while your magicka recharges.
Same if you go full ranged with a Wood Elf, always have something for close encounters.
Also any build that you chose Restoration magic is a must. Tough you can rely on potions, then again... when you ran out of potions what do you do then?.
Just my 2 cents on the matter. :)

Onyx

I'm a breton battle mage.... Probably my next character would be a Nord also i like the Dark Elves.. i wanna go full melee with my Nord with some magic for protection.
What i recomend is any race that you chose you should be and hybrid capable of handling most situations.
Ex. if you run as a High Elf magic user, you should be able to survive when you ran out of magicka. Equiping some shield and weapon to deal some damage while your magicka recharges.
Same if you go full ranged with a Wood Elf, always have something for close encounters.
Also any build that you chose Restoration magic is a must. Tough you can rely on potions, then again... when you ran out of potions what do you do then?.
Just my 2 cents on the matter. :)

I have to say I would say the opposite. I prefer alchemey (and plentiful health potions) to restoration. The main reason is in order to use restoration you have to use on of your hands. For players using Sword/Shield or 2H this can be a problem and one of the reasons I do not use it.

I could see using it for my assassin mind, but prefer alchemy cause I get some nice poisions as well.

Just my opinion. Do you have any advise on how to use in the middle of combat for a Sword/Shield user or 2H user (as I have 2 low levels and would be interested to see how to use restoration in practise)

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
I have to say I would say the opposite. I prefer alchemey (and plentiful health potions) to restoration. The main reason is in order to use restoration you have to use on of your hands. For players using Sword/Shield or 2H this can be a problem and one of the reasons I do not use it.

I could see using it for my assassin mind, but prefer alchemy cause I get some nice poisions as well.

Just my opinion. Do you have any advise on how to use in the middle of combat for a Sword/Shield user or 2H user (as I have 2 low levels and would be interested to see how to use restoration in practise)
Well you could always quick access your spells.... you can configure up to 8 quick access on the pc version at least.
i'm a mage type and have my shield and sword on the numbers 7 and 8... so when i ran out of magicka i switch to that quickly to defend myself while i recover.
The same can be applied for a warrior type... you can have your sword on 1 (1H or 2H) and your healing on 2... so you can quick switch between the two really fast

Titanburner

Premium Member

Once you get it down (if on console) you can favorite a healing spell and switch it out for the shield and then switch back pretty quickly. Bash and move, heal, re-equip your shield and continue on.

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
Even on consoles you can configure 2 quick access (with the directional pad) so is really easy to switch between shield or weapon (right or left hand) and healing spell. Also this makes the game a lot of more fast paced since you don't have to stop the action to switch between spells/weapons

Onyx

I am using the console. The concern I have is that if I am heavy combat with my sword and shield if have to stop using one of them quickly (when if can take a potion without pause). Then again, I have not tried the instance healing spells, just the channeled ones so I can imagine that would make healing much more beneficial in the heat of combat.

Question about the ward spell, is this only channeled? As it is really good but for a sword/shield char cannot see myself dropping my shield to channel it, but if there is an instance version (like alterations Oakflesh) then this could really increase survivability. Might have to play around with resto some more :)

Thanks for the advise :)

Onyx

Even on consoles you can configure 2 quick access (with the directional pad) so is really easy to switch between shield or weapon (right or left hand) and healing spell. Also this makes the game a lot of more fast paced since you don't have to stop the action to switch between spells/weapons

Good point actually!

Could see this being very useful for my assassin, but alas do not have the perks to invest in resto as so many other places (nor do I have the mana) so Alchemy will have to suit him but think will get my spellsword trying out resto as he only use a 1h wep and a spell so need to invest some perks! :D

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
I am using the console. The concern I have is that if I am heavy combat with my sword and shield if have to stop using one of them quickly (when if can take a potion without pause). Then again, I have not tried the instance healing spells, just the channeled ones so I can imagine that would make healing much more beneficial in the heat of combat.

Question about the ward spell, is this only channeled? As it is really good but for a sword/shield char cannot see myself dropping my shield to channel it, but if there is an instance version (like alterations Oakflesh) then this could really increase survivability. Might have to play around with resto some more :)

Thanks for the advise :)
This may help a little.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/General_Tips
Specially the section "Use Equipment Shortcuts"
It explains well how to do it on the console pad. Hope it helps :)

Caronte

I like to play as a Breton witch. I like magic and I really like rhe improvements on the character generator likes scarces, tattoos and one blind eye. I love the creepy face on my character. Unfortunatelly that face doesn't scares anybody on the game as it did in real life...

Onyx

I like to play as a Breton witch. I like magic and I really like rhe improvements on the character generator likes scarces, tattoos and one blind eye. I love the creepy face on my character. Unfortunatelly that face doesn't scares anybody on the game as it did in real life...
A good ol' fear spell will set that straight my friend :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts