***** Faulty Lockpicking Equipment *****

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wraypau

Lockpicking has always been a thorn in my side. I decided a long time ago that I was not going to spend useless perks on Lockpicking, because I was getting strong enough to enchant my own lockpicking equipment.

So here is the deal. I have all 4 peices of Enchanted Lockpicking Equipment available. I believe its a ring, necklace, gloves, and helmet. I have skill of 100 in Enchantment, and all 4 peices of my Lockpicking Equipment has an increase of "Lockpicking is 40% easier". So I am thinking 40% x 4 = 160%.

I can also make potions that make lockpicking 55% easier, so lets throw that in also, we now have a 195% increase in lockpicking.

I also activated the Theif stone, which improves Lockpicking by 20%. So now, I have over 200% increase. Seems like the locks would fall off the door when they see me coming. WRONG!!!

I was stuck on a lock last night (Master), and when I walked up to it, I hade +99 picks. I swallowed my lockpicking formula, and went to town. I was at level 49 or so in lockpicking at this time. Well after all my lockpicks where gone, I was pissed, I knew something was wrong. I went back to the theif guild to get more training in lockpicking and more lockpicks. Luckly, there were several in the chest at the foots of beds, and there is a lady there that sels around 30 at a time, wait 2 days, 30 more....

While i was looting the chests at the theif guild, there is a room with 4 or 5 chests in it, 3 of them are locked. I figured WTH, lets try and break all the picks and build a level up so I can get more lockpick training, and get another lockpick perk. (***Note*** I did not have any of my lockpicking gear on) I took a lockpicking potion, and went to town on a master lock, boom like 3rd try, the thing opens, Im thinking I got lucky. I move on to the next, an expert, boom 3rd or 4th try, it flings open... (Ok, so I am scratching my head now) I move on to the apprentice lock, which I have a perk to make apprentice and novice easier, and put on all my lockpicking gear... After around 15-20 picks, I exit out, take off my gear, then reopen the lock screen. First try It opens right up...

Now I am getting really curious, so I stock up on lockpicks again, buy 30 wait 2 days, buy 30. I head back to the lock that started all this, i tried another 30-40 times with my lockpicking gear and potion, but cannot get the lock open. then I take it all off, and just have the potion working... Again 4-5 picks later, it swings right open. Once inside, there is another lock, same scenerio...

I have finally came to the conclusion that to much lockpicking equipment will actually hurt you. I tested, on a master lock, with no equipment or potion, it took 7-8 picks. with potion 3-5, with equipment and potion, over 200 picks later, the lock never opened ???

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if the math is broken and the bonus flips negative after a certain point.

Wraypau

Thats my thought exactly. I really think its impossible to pick a lock when you are at that much of increase to lockpicking. i literally spend around 4 hrs last night, trying to get into GoldenGlow Estates back door. (Theif Guild "Loud and clear")... I have since tested, and it really seems impossible.

Heres another one for you, I have Pickpocket equipment also, all 4 peices, and was going to pickpoctet the guys at the theif guild lodge, to get their lockpicks, before i thought about buying the 30, wait 2, buy 30...

Anyways, they were asleep, and I went ot pickpocket them, they all where at 89% chance to steal, when i put on my equipment, it goes to 90%. Thats only 1 % increase. Now i think all my pickpocket equipment is a 40% incease also. i need to test it more tonight but, i think it might be bugged the same way also.

Barryl85

Dam ! I just pickpocketed someones silver ring with 15% Easier Lockpicking and was going to disenchant it and create lockpicking gear, now i'm not sure I will bother - havent found a master lock though but I have picked all expert locks with ease.

Wraypau

when i get home tonight, I will try it with one peice of gear, 2 peices, 3 peices, potions, etc... See if there is a lmit to it, or if its some kind of glitch... Either way, dont drop the Soul Gems and loot to make 4 peices, doesnt work out to well.

I was trying to limit up last night, and get lockpicking perks, because this has been a thorn in my side... Now, i will just carry about 10 lokcpicking potions, and sell the gear. I cna get into any lock 7 picks or less, with potion alone. Dont waste no more perks on lokcpicking, I wasted 2 last night... ARGH!!!

Wraypau

Here's another something I figured out, since i was trying to level up, and get perks for lockpicking. I have built my character to be a two handed tank, my Conjuration skill was at 19, so i went ot my chest of goodies, and got out my best magika regeneration robes and helmet. Every where I went, I would throw Muffle into the air, just as fast as my magic would reappear. In towns, running around collecting ingredients, etc... Well At first, every thing i casted it, it would level up, around lvl 30 or so, it took 2 casts per lvl up, around lvl 40, 3 casts, and lvl 50, 4-5 casts... I think I finally quit around lvl 60ish... It took me less than an hr or 2 of this to lvl up over 40...

Not really a glitch, but very easy to level up in.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts