Extraterrestrials: Do you believe in them?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you believe in them?

• Yes

Votes: 25 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
Yes I beleive in aliens, it's entirely possible, but that one show? Ancient Aliens? Goes a liiiiiiiittle to far. and to top it off my dad watches it, making it automatically weird. And I prove this by:
images

Lee

Rasta-For-I
Is there life on other planets in this universe? Almost definitely.

Have they visited Earth? No, space is just too big.

What if they can use methods yet to be discovered by our scientists?

Static

What if they can use methods yet to be discovered by our scientists?

You can't travel faster than the speed of light (well, not if you have mass), not at least without distorting time-space itself. The expansive distance between stars mean than it's simply implausible for another species to have reached us, and if they had technology capable of travelling faster than the speed of light then they wouldn't be stupid enough to be spotted and photographed, and nor would they be abducting people and probing them. Extreme intelligence requires benevolence.

Lee

Rasta-For-I
You can't travel faster than the speed of light (well, not if you have mass), not at least without distorting time-space itself. The expansive distance between stars mean than it's simply implausible for another species to have reached us, and if they had technology capable of travelling faster than the speed of light then they wouldn't be stupid enough to be spotted and photographed, and nor would they be abducting people and probing them. Extreme intelligence requires benevolence.

I read somewhere that they can utilise like kind of pockets in space that bring them out light years from where they entered. Maybe I saw that in a film I can't remember:D

Also Darth Vader and Chancellor Palpatine were clearly evil yet extremely intelligent. I forgot, Vader came good in the end.

Static

I read somewhere that they can utilise like kind of pockets in space that bring them out light years from where they entered. Maybe I saw that in a film I can't remember:D

Also Darth Vader and Chancellor Palpatine were clearly evil yet extremely intelligent. I forgot, Vader came good in the end.

Theoretically if you could curve space you could travel almost instantaneously between two points. Obviously, however, it takes a rather large amount of energy to bend space.

And I'm not sure that Star Wars is, strictly speaking, an accurate portrayal of reality.

Lee

Rasta-For-I
I was kiddin about the Star Wars stuff. Do you think evilness and extreme intelligence are mutually exclusive?

BSE

and if they had technology capable of travelling faster than the speed of light then they wouldn't be stupid enough to be spotted and photographed,
Not to mention they probably wouldnt cover their spaceships in tons of bright, shiny lights.

Also, anyone notice how years ago, tons of photos of alien spacecraft were passed around, but now, in the time of everything is seen because camera-phones exist, not a single one has been photographed?

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I've read that the vast distances and unrealistic amounts of energy needed to cross them might be explained by the extradimensional hypothesis.

Regarding UFOs being a modern phenomenon, the first documented sightings date back to 1000 A.D. during the Song Dynasty of China. They were recorded by a prominent mathematician and scientist named Shen Kuo, a man of rational thinking (by the standards of that time at the very least, i.e. not a superstitious peasant). The description given does not match any known natural phenomena and the craft sighted exhibited bizarre flight characteristics (explosive acceleration).

I'm not one to immediately proclaim that every suspicious thing up in the sky is a UFO, much less an alien spacecraft, but I've researched this topic quite extensively and some of these UFO cases are genuinely baffling, for example the Shag Harbor incident. At the very least I think the phenomenon deserves serious attention and study.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Absolutely, for the simple fact that I find it impossible that with so many galaxies and star systems, we are the only intelligent life.

That being said, I'm also sure there's plenty of life out there that isn't sentient (i.e. "animals").

Other than this, I don't really have anything to add.

Halkin

pzzzztt
serious conversation requires serious answer i suppose. i find the sheer size of the cosmos amazing, the even thing we are alone is absurd. will it ever be confirmed is the ultimate question, and i dont think it will. even with seti doing its thing we have billions of years to cover.

Halkin

pzzzztt
same as the supernova witness 400 years ago, and many before it. i imagine it must have seemed like a shock

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
It was a recurring phenomenon.

"A passage called "Strange Happenings" contains a peculiar account of an unidentified flying object. Shen wrote that, during the reign of Emperor Renzong (1022–1063), an object as bright as a pearl occasionally hovered over the city of Yangzhou at night, but described first by local inhabitants of eastern Anhui and then in Jiangsu.[16] Shen wrote that a man near Xingkai Lake observed this curious object; allegedly it:
...opened its door and a flood of intense light like sunbeams darted out of it, then the outer shell opened up, appearing as large as a bed with a big pearl the size of a fist illuminating the interior in silvery white. The intense silver-white light, shot from the interior, was too strong for human eyes to behold; it cast shadows of every tree within a radius of ten miles. The spectacle was like the rising Sun, lighting up the distant sky and woods in red. Then all of a sudden, the object took off at a tremendous speed and descended upon the lake like the Sun setting.[17]
Shen went on to say that Yibo, a poet of Gaoyou, wrote a poem about this "pearl" after witnessing it. Shen wrote that since the "pearl" often made an appearance around Fanliang in Yangzhou, the people there erected a "Pearl Pavilion" on a wayside, where people came by boat in hopes to see the mysterious flying object.[18]

Halkin

pzzzztt
dont get me wrong, i do believe there are other lifeforms out there, just that with the way things are spaced out we wont ever see them. as for old folk lore there are many examples of cultures using the sky and its many references in their literature. i mean, its in your face.

comets, nova, the northern lights for example has been known to extend as far south as lower europe. next year should be great.

when the little green men turn up we shall see

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
I don't know how this fits into the whole argument, but I read that NASA (and some other space agency) has made plans in 2020 to further explore Jupiter's moon, Europa. It appears that underneath its icy crust there's an ocean of water which may contain extraterrestrial life.

Halkin

pzzzztt
the many moons in the sol hold such unique assets, i really think it will be life jim, but not as we know it

Yes I do. There is a nearly (if not) infinite universe, and Earth is the only planet with life? IMPOSSIBRU!

1.jpg

Cole Train

I believe there is other life out there due to the almost inconceivable size of the universe its almost impossible that there isn't. But because of the immense size, I think that the chances of us coming into contact with any other form of intelligent life is almost next to nothing

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts