Extraterrestrials: Do you believe in them?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you believe in them?

• Yes

Votes: 25 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Arthur Dragon Born

Breton Mage
Do you guys believe in aliens? It's really awesome to think that we are not alone in the vast universe. I believe in them like so much.

Elgrif

Skooma Alchemist
There most definitely has to be extraterrestrials because the universe is immense; whether or not they visit us is another story though.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
I'm not quite sure what to believe, to be honest. But funny that you should ask this, because I recently came across a strange image that 'supposedly' has UFOs flying across the sky. It's an ancient picture from a Byzantine church in eastern Europe.

78-decani%20ufo.jpg

A friend showed it to me first, and I though nothing of it, but not that you ask this question, I though that it'd be worth bringing up.

Lee

Rasta-For-I
My belief is that given the size of the universe it is inconceivable that other life does not exist. I've always wondered what Christians' views are on this.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Mathematically and even biologically, I can't fathom there not being life elsewhere in the universe. I can't say I've been convinced by any evidence presented that there have been alien encounters here on Earth. I know that many interesting artistic depictions have been found worldwide that seem to portray futuristic crafts and otherworldy personages. But they make me wonder if we are seeing what we want to see using eyes biased by our own existence in this time period. I think that we have a lot of work to do in understanding the cultures that produced such art before we can say for certain what they meant to show in their work.

Arthur Dragon Born

Breton Mage
I'm not quite sure what to believe, to be honest. But funny that you should ask this, because I recently came across a strange image that 'supposedly' has UFOs flying across the sky. It's an ancient picture from a Byzantine church in eastern Europe.

View attachment 501

A friend showed it to me first, and I though nothing of it, but not that you ask this question, I though that it'd be worth bringing up.

Pretty mysterious pictures.... Looks like a man in a space ship of some sort am I right?

My belief is that given the size of the universe it is inconceivable that other life does not exist. I've always wondered what Christians' views are on this.

Agreed. Just imagine the size of the universe. Quite peculiar t be alone right? About the religion thing, I am a Christian and I DO believe in God. I always wondered why these aliens and belief in God contradict each other.

BSE

As a mathematician in my profession and working with statistics as part of my job, its the simple Law of Large Numbers. If life randomly came together once, then eventually it will happen again.

Now, whether that other life is intelligent or simply microbes floating around, I do not know. Of course, since there was evidence of very basic, single-celled organisms on Mars, I find it hard, if not completely absurd and ignorant, to believe that no life in any form exists anywhere other than on Earth. If this offends someone, I dont care.

I highly doubt that any intelligent life has come to visit earth, though.

To finish this little rant, a quote from a movie: If there isn't other life out there, it's an awful waste of space.

rizen

A to the K homeboy
weird pictures, kinda cool...it looks like the sun and the moon to me (the moon looking one even has 2 stars) depicted as being controlled by people...angels would be more likely to be navigating heavenly bodies though. I dunno but....definately looks like the sun and the moon though.

Teritus

Pretty mysterious pictures.... Looks like a man in a space ship of some sort am I right?

Well, that's what I initially thought about it. It just looks very strange generally, and to me it seems like one person coming in and another coming out of the picture; sort of in an orbit.

Rale

Full-time Skeever King, TaliWhacker, Cheeseman

View attachment 501

In ancient times they believed a man drove the sun and a man drove the moon to get them across the sky. Thats a drawing of thier belief.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
this is a wood cut supposedly from Nuremberg Germany in 1561 where an air battle took place over the town. Anyone else see the Imerial Star Destroyer?!!
605289_1.jpg

Apparently five years later in 1566 over the sky of Bassel Germany, another air/space battle.
605289_2.png

Oliverjames

It is naive to believe we are not alone. Given the process of evolution, the size and scale of the universe and the million of years. Although I suppose it depends what you believe constitutes an alien- a living organism, or an intelligent one.

Arthur Dragon Born

Breton Mage
It is naive to believe we are not alone. Given the process of evolution, the size and scale of the universe and the million of years. Although I suppose it depends what you believe constitutes an alien- a living organism, or an intelligent one.

Whenever someone hears the word "alien," they automatically think of the ones you see in Hollywood. The greys for example. Or the ones in AVP. They don't think about the microscopic bacterias that could exist in other planets.

Oliverjames

Whenever someone hears the word "alien," they automatically think of the ones you see in Hollywood. The greys for example. Or the ones in AVP. They don't think about the microscopic bacterias that could exist in other planets.
Precisely that. The whole reason the film 'signs' was terrible.

Teritus

In ancient times they believed a man drove the sun and a man drove the moon to get them across the sky. Thats a drawing of thier belief.

If you say so. But I don't think this is quite that.

Grey Fox

If it wasn't for movies...I'd have zero material. "If there's not, it seems like a great waste of space." As far as intelligent life visiting earth, "If you don't bring it, you won't find any here."

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Based on experience and evidence, I play wih the idea that there are entities that are not of this planet, but they aren't subject to our physical laws nor have they got material from. Some of them are preying on humanity, others helping. Others are just too far out to be involved.

There was apparently extensive genetic meddling performed on the human species by ETs in the distant past, in order to create a farm, a-la The Matrix, but it was only partially succesful, so today we have a whole range of human-alien DNA in every human being, how do you like that?

Some of the "bad" ETs are mind fluffers and are responsible for creating virtual realities that trap human beings , so that the ETs can feed on negative emotion, mainly fear, and drain the imagination out of human beings. They lack any creative powers of their own so their VR is entirely simulations and distortions of reality. This is why there is a pervasive feeling of unreality among many people. A world where Ronald Reagan and the Bushes were leaders cannot be quite right. :p More seriously, this may be why human beings don't quite seem to belong on this planet, and have such trouble living harmonioulsy with their environment like all other animals.

Just some stories i like to entertain when I have time to muse, I don't actually believe in the above in the same way as i believe in the law of gravity, for example.

Phillip K Dick is one of my favourite "science fiction" writers on the subject, and these ideas were initially explored by the Sethian Gnostics, who were pagan mystics eradicated by Christianity.

Static

Is there life on other planets in this universe? Almost definitely.

Have they visited Earth? No, space is just too big.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts