• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

bronxtale

Im trying to do womething new instead of smithing what is better alchemy or enchanting

blue 468

depends what type of character your making. i'd say enchanting is more useful and easier to level but it's Alchemy is fun because you can make all sorts of potions and poisons but a lot more complicated.:)

Skyrimosity

Im trying to do womething new instead of smithing what is better alchemy or enchanting
Enchanting is pretty good for warrior type characters and alchemy is good for archers and assassins in my opinion. Because the warriors can enchant their armors with types of resistance but archers and assassins can apply deadly potions created from alchemy to their weapons to make them kill enemies more effectively.

Alchemy in my opinion only seems to benefit the thief/assassin character builds. While enchanting can benefit all of them. Of course this is just my opinion though.

bronxtale

Wait i got a another question when it says increased stamina by 10 I selected the enchant but it dropped down to 1 like block damage increases by 10% after selcting 1% please help!

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Enchanting is more useful, but I find alchemy to be more fun. Sounds like you may have already gone with enchanting, though. :oops:

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
I recently completed the Alchemy tree for the first time. With 4 bits of shop bought Fortify Alchemy kit (not the best possible by any means) this char can make quite insane potions. (without using any game glitches)

For instance : a paralysis potion that puts the target down for 24 seconds and does 240 damage in the meantime. Note that this stays on the blade/bow for 2 hits. You can basically tickle anything to death in 48 seconds.

An all in one potion, that blocks shock, frost, and fire damage to the tune of 76%. (You really don't need anymore resistance than this)

A potion that fortifies Smithing by 102% (that's insane!)

A readily available potion that fortifies Health by c. 150 hp and also restores 150hp....

There are many more.

To say Enchanting is far more powerful, is rather misleading. Alchemy can be just if not more powerful to certain characters.

ShadowGambit

Alchemy gives you more flexibility for your character. But for a short amount of time. Enchanting gives you less flexibility but is "permanent", as long as you are wearing the enchantment

you can carry around tons of potions if you want, that you help every skill that you have.

Enchanting is more limited, and carrying around several sets of armor is a bit of a hassle.

bronxtale

wow that is amazing! maybe i should do both but it's hard to find the ingridients even in the shops i don't even know how toraise it up

bronxtale

Enchanting is more useful, but I find alchemy to be more fun. Sounds like you may have already gone with enchanting, though. :oops:
i guess i couldn't hurt to try thanks to drewski maybe it couldn't hurt

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
The Character of mine with the 100 Alchemy/Full Tree, is also pushing towards a full enchanting tree; he's around level 47 I think.

The only problem with trying to fill both the Alchemy and Enchanting Trees (when they are still highly relevant, i.e. lvl 30ish to 50 or so), is something else has to suffer perk wise.

That char started out as a bow conjurer, wearing poor light armor. He's now an Archer with poor armor, yet mega upgraded because of the Alchemy. He's very good at Archery, but has absolutely no close combat skills, and has never used destruction. He's also not at all sneaky. He basically just shoots enemies with his conjured bow, while backing off as necessary. If he runs out of backup room, he pulls his Sword of Paralysis out and tickles the enemy to death. I'm presently trying to get his one handed up to something useful......

An interesting char to actually play though :)

Argonianale7

Sheratopia
Wait i got a another question when it says increased stamina by 10 I selected the enchant but it dropped down to 1 like block damage increases by 10% after selcting 1% please help!
Are you using Petty or Lesser soul gems? Try using a filled Black or Grand soul gem With a Grand soul.

bronxtale

oh yea so using black soul or grandmake it better oh thnak you

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
Alchemy is very beneficial and much less expensive at lower levels. Plus the potions have so many different effects, and almost all of them are useful. Plus you can sell off potions that you don't need for money.

I hate Alchemy. All those ingredients junking up my Inventory, and overpowered potions giving you stupid abilities (Fort Resto, I'm looking at you!) Enchantment is just easier. Find the enchantments you want, put them on your clothes/weapons, and you don't have to worry about it ever again. Smithing is pretty useless, actually. All it affects is damage, and turns you into a 1shotting tank. {Yawns} Ok, it does that more than Enchantment, but can't make you poison/disease/magic resistant/immune, give you Absorbing weapon enchantments, and enhance your stats/skills. Alchemy can, but temporarily. You're never truly done collecting herbs, and random animal bits to grind up, and give you temporary buffs. Unfortunately, it's the only way to Fortify Destruction damage. That's the only Potion I really miss.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
I have 2 games in progress. One used alchemy to earn money early in the game and is wandering around in enchanted ebony armour wishing I'd done more smithing. The other is wandering around in dragonplate armour but wishing I'd done more alchemy and enchanting. I think I'll start a third game and try balancing all 3 equally, though I think it will take longer to progress.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts