Dreaming of Riverwood: Prologue

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Sierra_G719

Ranger of Skyrim
Note to read before reading: In my world, those who possess Elven blood are like in LotR. Immortal unless killed. Which explains why Faendal and Rev (who's the narrator) lives so long. Rev is a Breton, who is telling the story to his younger cousin Celann (who is the same Celann in Dawnguard) John and the Rangers of Skyrim reside in "Ranger Ridge" a name I borrowed from a mod that refers to the open land next to Lakeview Manor. Anyway, this is my first attempt, so enjoy reading.

Celann, dear cousin. You once asked me if I had told you everything about my adventures. Perhaps I hadn’t told you all of it. You see, my life wasn’t always filled with adventure and glory. My late friend Faendal and I had moved to Skyrim almost 200 years ago. Funny it seemed like it was only yesterday, we abandoned Cyrodiil in the wake of the Oblivion Crisis and settled in this little town known as Riverwood. Being good with the bow, Faendal and I earned the title of Huntsmen bringing in furs and meat and we also made a decent living at the mill. Life was good. All the meat we could eat and all the wine we could drink. But 200 years later, we decided that we’ve been in Riverwood far too long, we gave our good byes to Gerdur, our boss and inheritor of the
mill, and the rest of the people there, packed up and moved North. Or at least we were, until a Nord named John came up to Riverwood. He wore a green cloak, had a broad sword at his side, bow and arrow strapped to his back and long, jet black hair with a beard to match. We knew who he was, or rather what he was. He is a Ranger of Skyrim and he was hailing us with a warning.
Now you see Celann, while you and Isran dealt with the vampires on the ground, John here dealt with something more terrifying. Dragons. Harbingers of the End Times. John said he had to get back to the Ranger’s Ridge in Falkreath to prepare the his men. Gerdur however, requested that the Ranger head to Whiterun and warn the Jarl to send guards to defend Riverwood, the village Faendal and I call home for an era. The Ranger away to Whiterun he went. Being a Ranger, masters of stealth, we barely noticed he was gone.
Faendal and I decided to roam Skyrim as “Friends of the Rangers” but first we had to go to Ranger Ridge, headquarters of what was the toughest men and women of Skyrim. And so we marched. A life full of adventure ahead, with bows and daggers in our hands, gold and glory in our minds and home in our hearts.

Sierra_G719

Ranger of Skyrim
Dreaming of Riverwood: The Rangers

You fought well today Celann, the Thalmor were no match for the engineering of the Dawnguard. Their magics did little against us, thank the divines we’re Bretons, and we made quick work of them. Your bolts, my arrow rained fury upon them and then we finished up the poor sods with our blades. Didn’t stand a chance.
I guess a hard day’s battle deserves another story of the past. Where were we? Ah yes. Faendal and I were marching towards Ranger Ridge to make their acquaintance, home far behind us. But on our way to the Ridge, we spotted a group of green coated figures. Broad swords in hand, steel arrows pinned to the trees. They were John’s men and they were fighting Thalmor? Celann, Rangers by nature are neutral. They protect the wilds from people, and people from the wilds. Why were they attacking members of the Aldmeri Dominion? When the Rangers were finished slaughtering the Elves, we tried to make conversation with what I assume was the leader of the group. He was a Nord’s Nord. Broad sword on his back, War paint rolling down his face as if they were tears, painted in a deep green. A deep green that reminded me of the forests of Cyrodiil. The fellow was armed to the teeth for your average Ranger. In addition to his standard Ranger sword and bow, he had a war axe at his side. But not just any war axe, a Skyforge Steel war axe.
As Faendal and I walked up to him, he drew his bow, and Faendal did the same. I lowered Faendal’s bow and his companion lowered the Ranger’s. Companion... not a word I use lightly Celann. The leader of the group apologized and introduced himself as Uldor, a captain in the ranks of the Rangers. He was accompanied by oddly enough a Redguard ranger, Aldanor. He appeared to be the new recruit simply because of how he moved. More of a Warrior than a Ranger, but that is because he hails from Hammerfell home of great warriors. In their ranks was another Nord, but he seemed to have a different aura around him. His name was Martin, and whilst being a Nord, he told me he had roots in Cyrodiil and that he was a scholar there. However being a Nord, he wouldn’t stand for the Thalmor taking away his one true faith.
The worship of Talos. So I understood their intentions. They were protecting Skyrim from the treachery of the Thalmor. Faendal was unsure about them. He seemed friendly to the Thalmor and Imperials we passed along the road. I assumed he supported them, I kept quiet. Uldor started smelling the air. A ranger’s trick I was sure, but he looked at me in a friendly way and said in his thick nordic accent “You Moonborn too?” Moonborn. He must have been referring to the fact I was a Werewolf. Both of us excused ourselves from our groups to chat in private.

Sierra_G719

Ranger of Skyrim
Next chapter of Dreaming of Riverwood: Moonborn is in the works

Rev shares with his cousin his involvment with the Companions, Hircine and Lycantrophy.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Good start! The way you describe the Rangers reminds me a bit of the Night's Watch in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I like the idea of a group dedicated to dragon hunting - we kind of have the Blades in the game, but it seems to me that there'd be a larger, more integrated force put together to fight the dragons.

My only tip at this point would be to leave a blank space between paragraphs; the wall of text can get a little hard on the eyes. :)

Sierra_G719

Ranger of Skyrim
Thanks :D. The rangers are actually based on the Rangers of the North form LotR. They protect anyone from anything. Just so happens that Dragons are the ones causing the problem. Oh and thanks for the advice.