PS3 Downsides to playing on console

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member
Thread for those of us who play on console to lament (i.e. complain about) the short-comings of PS3/Xbox gaming vs. PC.

One of the first things that bugged the crap out of me (and made me wish my laptop was powerful enough to handle Skyrim) was the fact that you cannot take away a follower's base clothing. I tried to give Lydia better armor but found I couldn't remove her standard gear. What good is it to up her survival stats if it has a negative impact on her carry weight? I need her as a pack mule more than backup.

What really made me cry about this issue was the first time I saw Argis and realized I wouldn't get to see him shirtless... :eek:

So, fellow console users, what failings eat at you?

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
The constant freezes. That's mainly my number one complaint. I guess the inability to download Mods to a console is a let down, but it's expected. Would be nice if they had a channel or something to facilitate us console heads, but playing on a PC always has getter advantages. I've contemplated getting Skyrim for my PC, but I don't want to wrestle with compatibility issues (I run Linux) and.... my wife won't let me. :sadface:

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member
The constant freezes. That's mainly my number one complaint. I guess the inability to download Mods to a console is a let down, but it's expected. Would be nice if they had a channel or something to facilitate us console heads, but playing on a PC always has getter advantages. I've contemplated getting Skyrim for my PC, but I don't want to wrestle with compatibility issues (I run Linux) and.... my wife won't let me. :sadface:

Yeah, I had problems with freezes too. Ended up having to turn off all the autosave functions to get it to run smoothly.

It would certainly be nice to have access to all the fabulous mods, but I just couldn't justify spending $1000's on a new computer vs. $60 bucks for the PS3 game. Doubt my four-year-old Inspiron 1720 is strong enough to run this game.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I can get to see any male character 'shirtless' and I'm on the console. ;):D

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Yeah, I had problems with freezes too. Ended up having to turn off all the autosave functions to get it to run smoothly.

It would certainly be nice to have access to all the fabulous mods, but I just couldn't justify spending $1000's on a new computer vs. $60 bucks for the PS3 game. Doubt my four-year-old Inspiron 1720 is strong enough to run this game.

Upgrading the RAM to 4GB (Max for your motherboard), a new Video Card for gaming and a better processor would be well under $1000.00. You could even throw in a motherboard and it'll still be under $1000.00. No need to buy a new PC when you can just gut it and build one at a cheaper price. That is if you know how or know someone who can.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
I'm lucky in that I play both PC and PS3. But with my PS3 head on: the less than responsive buttons when I'm trying to save and the unpredictable loading times. Sometimes it seems like it's going to freeze, but others it's fairly quick.

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member
Upgrading the RAM to 4GB (Max for your motherboard), a new Video Card for gaming and a better processor would be well under $1000.00. You could even throw in a motherboard and it'll still be under $1000.00. No need to buy a new PC when you can just gut it and build one at a cheaper price. That is if you know how or know someone who can.

My brother could (serious ubergeek) but it would still be more costly than the console game. Too many other things to worry about paying for to allow myself such a splurge. Nice idea, though.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
My brother could (serious ubergeek) but it would still be more costly than the console game. Too many other things to worry about paying for to allow myself such a splurge. Nice idea, though.

Totally understand. I can''t even afford to buy another copy for PC myself. :sadface:

Jersey Dagmar

Please remember, that the game freezing is across all three platforms. As well as glitches and bugs. The only thing that the PC has over the consoles is the Mods, and console commands. However, if you have the game on the 360, there are hacked save files out there that you can use. And I believe that Bethesda had in the Game Jam a clip about selecting favorites for your followers. So, maybe they will include that at some point.

Oren74

I'll trade mods, monitor, mouse/keyboard and a computer chair for my big screen TV, couch, wireless controller and no mods anyday.

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member
I'll trade mods, monitor, mouse/keyboard and a computer chair for my big screen TV, couch, wireless controller and no mods anyday.

Yeah it is nice to have Skyrim on the big screen...and my couch is really comfy...

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Please remember, that the game freezing is across all three platforms. As well as glitches and bugs. The only thing that the PC has over the consoles is the Mods, and console commands.
The game freezing is not across all three platforms. It's generally not an issue for the PC and it initially wasn't as significant an issue for the Xbox as it was for the PS3. There are also some bugs which are platform specific although most of the more serious ones do seem to be common to all three platforms. On that note, the ability to use console commands offers a significant advantage over the Xbox and PS3 when it comes to dealing with bugs. In some cases console commands are the only workaround for a bug.

butcherpete2277

Suthay-raht
Do you have to have internet to play skyrim on pc? I heard somewhere that you had to activate it on Steam.

Vinz

I really don't understand why people associate all that with consoles only. You can have ALL THAT and much more on the PC. But well, to each their own.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Do you have to have internet to play skyrim on pc? I heard somewhere that you had to activate it on Steam.
To download patches you have to activate your game with your Steam account so it shows up in your Steam games library. Other than patches, you don't need to have the internet to play as long as you set the game to offline mode.

Jersey Dagmar

The game freezing is not across all three platforms. It's generally not an issue for the PC and it initially wasn't as significant an issue for the Xbox as it was for the PS3. There are also some bugs which are platform specific although most of the more serious ones do seem to be common to all three platforms. On that note, the ability to use console commands offers a significant advantage over the Xbox and PS3 when it comes to dealing with bugs. In some cases console commands are the only workaround for a bug.

Game freezing is across all three platforms. I've watched Skyrim Let's Plays on Youtube, where the person is playing on the PC and the game froze on them. Whether that has to do with the game or their computer, I would not know. But, I say it's a big assumption to say it never happens on the PC. And it happens on a regular basis with me on the Xbox.

And I was speaking in general about the bugs and glitches, cause yes, all three platforms have bugs and glitches. Be it it platform specific or not.

Oren74

I really don't understand why people associate all that with consoles only. You can have ALL THAT and much more on the PC. But well, to each their own.

First, what "much more" are you referring to? Also, I have no clue how to hook up my PC to a big screen, than hook up a wireless controller, than map a controller, than etc etc etc. I'm guessing I'm not alone there.

I do know how to play a PS3 game though.

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
Am I the only person who plays on console and has never experienced any problems? My game never glitches (asides from small ones that every game ever made experience) and never freezes. I am always reading things online about people who hate the fact that console frame-rates are so slow, but honestly mine never is. I must just be lucky.

The only thing I have found different between Ps3 and PC is the console commands and the mods. If I did have the game on PC though I would only use the mods to make the game more realistic. I wouldn't use it to give me unlimited money or anything stupid like that because it just ruins the depth of the game.