• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hacksaw

Ok, so some bugs are worse than others, but this is one that really screwed me up and I thought it deserved mention.

Not too long ago I discovered I could use Vilkas for a target dummy with magic spells during the "Take Up Arms" quest, the first step in joining the Companions. Well it worked, but it came with a price.

Vilkas bugged out. He gave me his sword, but then stood there with his fists out ready to fight. My quest line wouldn't advance, and he would stand there, perpetually ready to fight to the death. I could handle not doing the companions quest line (that character was a mage anyway), but the game could just seize up every minute or so, for at least twenty seconds at a time. And any loading or saving took freaking forever. I searched all over the net, but none of the adivice on fixing his bug semeed to work, so I just got rid of my saves with this character. Thankfully, my other characters weren't ruined and I only had to lose just one.

Since I was taking advantage of an exploit, I can't really get mad about the bug. I guess Vilkas got me for using all that filthy magic after all. :) On the bright side, I also found that the fire/frost/shock rune spells are the penultimate way to level destruction skill, and it works so fast that I can simply do side quests and build up my skill in a more normal way. With all other spells the skill gain was so slow that I figured I could do every quest in the whole game and still not have 100 destruction.

So yeah, just do the Vilkas quest properly and don't mess around with free skill gains. They're not really free in the end. And use the rune spells for building destruction skill.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts