Do you give your characters last names?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

UnfaithfulServant

Silence, my brother...
I'm making an Altmer mage today and I think I'll give her a surname. I don't usually give surnames because... they just don't seem right to me, I don't know lol.

Do you give your characters last names?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I do if it fits the character. For example my Argonian and Redguard don't have last names, but my Imperials, Nords, Bretons, etc. do

Honestly it is up to you if you want to give them a last name. I just feel it can give the character more personality. But I also usually go off the other characters of the race to see if a last name would feel right.

AS88

Staff member
It depends almost totally on the naming conventions of the character's race, for me. Sometimes I'll add a clan name or Nord name (ie the Unseen), sometimes even a nickname. Roque gave one of his characters the nickname 'the Blizzard of Bravil' which I thought was pretty original.

Patches

Dovahn Helsing, my Nord vampire lord.
An interesting fact...Patches' real name is Amber...

Riven326

I usually use the first name that comes to mind after I've created my character. I usually don't use last names.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
Yes, definitely!

"Traditional" sort of last names for Nord characters (Unni Thorolfsdottir, Bjorri Ragmundsson...)

"classical" Roman-style last names for Imperials (Tacitus Patreia, Pilus Valgus...)

Catalan or French/Spanish (??) sounding names for Bretons (Etienne D'orval, Alessandra Mortierre...)

guttural-sounding names for Orcs, usually with a moniker describing an attribute or deed ("Urgaz Broken-tusk", "Grummbash One-eye"...)

I like to use a naming convention for Argonians like "Seven-Laughing-Crow", "Yellow-Running-Fox"; something that evokes a tie to the natural world (kind of echoing Native American cultures)

Bosmer, Altmer and Dunmer I tend to use more lyrical sounding stereotypical Elvish names (Eylianna Tiirendil, Malleus Ormien, Vilenthus Aeril...), tinkering with them depending on which race they are

Khajiit tend to be single names without surnames; not sure why (Ma'jindro, Ja'lipp, Khe'fet...)

Redguard tend toward "Arabic" or Middle Eastern patterned names (Halbarad il'Fassim, Muhabar Ir'ben...)

Probably not all that lore accurate but in terms of some RP immersion, it's what I like to do :)

jarif

I don't because their first names sounds more personal and less formal, plus its cooler. Imagine telling your full name during the Thalmor party in the MQ

Rimfaxe96

Rimfaxe is enough as name. It's not as if my enemies would get the chance to address me properly anyway. And as for enemy groups that watch me, they'll know who I am when they see me approaching.
No need to talk. :cowboy:

I don't because their first names sounds more personal and less formal, plus its cooler. Imagine telling your full name during the Thalmor party in the MQ

"Welcome. I don't believe we've met. I am Elenwen, the Thalmor Ambassador to Skyrim. And you are...?"
"My name is Rajesh Ramayan Koothrappali. Pleasure to meet you."
2490.gif

UnfaithfulServant

Silence, my brother...
Real
Yes, definitely!

"Traditional" sort of last names for Nord characters (Unni Thorolfsdottir, Bjorri Ragmundsson...)

"classical" Roman-style last names for Imperials (Tacitus Patreia, Pilus Valgus...)

Catalan or French/Spanish (??) sounding names for Bretons (Etienne D'orval, Alessandra Mortierre...)

guttural-sounding names for Orcs, usually with a moniker describing an attribute or deed ("Urgaz Broken-tusk", "Grummbash One-eye"...)

I like to use a naming convention for Argonians like "Seven-Laughing-Crow", "Yellow-Running-Fox"; something that evokes a tie to the natural world (kind of echoing Native American cultures)

Bosmer, Altmer and Dunmer I tend to use more lyrical sounding stereotypical Elvish names (Eylianna Tiirendil, Malleus Ormien, Vilenthus Aeril...), tinkering with them depending on which race they are

Khajiit tend to be single names without surnames; not sure why (Ma'jindro, Ja'lipp, Khe'fet...)

Redguard tend toward "Arabic" or Middle Eastern patterned names (Halbarad il'Fassim, Muhabar Ir'ben...)

Probably not all that lore accurate but in terms of some RP immersion, it's what I like to do :)

I really like what you do with the Nord names. That's the way the Icelandics name their children. Patronymic names ^_^!

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I really like what you do with the Nord names. That's the way the Icelandics name their children. Patronymic names ^_^!

Thanks! You have a good eye for such things, because coincidentally I'm currently re-reading the Saga of the Icelanders (Jane Smiley translation); I have always enjoyed the Norse/Icelandic myths and prose.

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

Himintelgja - Heaven Scraper
Nope, I've never put last names. I have:

Anya (Nord)
John (very unoriginal...he just seemed like a John)
Ragstar (Orc)
Falkirk (Imperial)
Elvemage (...Elven...Mage...)
Godenor (Wood Elf)
Meow Jan (Khajiit)

None of those have last names-the "Jan" in Meow Jan is supposed to be from Arabic/middle eastern languages where "Jan" after someone's name is a sign of respect. Like saying "Mister."

The only character that sort of has a last name is my latest, and my forum namesake, Bjørn of Helgåfjord. Helgåfjord was the name of a Nordic sort of NationStates country I had for awhile, and since Bjørn is supposed to be a Viking, it seemed to fit very well.

Patches

Rimfaxe is enough as name. It's not as if my enemies would get the chance to address me properly anyway. And as for enemy groups that watch me, they'll know who I am when they see me approaching.
No need to talk. :cowboy:

"Welcome. I don't believe we've met. I am Elenwen, the Thalmor Ambassador to Skyrim. And you are...?"
"My name is Rajesh Ramayan Koothrappali. Pleasure to meet you."
2490.gif
FFFFPHHHH
BAHAHAHAHAHA!
I think I love you for posting this x3

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts