Do you get crap for playing Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

redrkt

Premium Member
I was just wondering if people got pl*** for being as obsessed with this game as I am. Before, on a friday night, everyone would go to bed and there were times when I'd stay up til the sun came up playing. Doesnt happen anymore but in the beginning when I first got the game that was a regular friday-saturday night ( or should I say morning). Thats where the idea for this thread came from and thats where my wifes amazment at my love for this game started. Some of the comments are a liitle off the mark. I never said it was a problem just some teasing out of fun. If I can get my wife to like watching Game of Thrones (which I did) then dammit, I'll get her to like Skyrim!

Going out on a limb here..... But, did you happen to think that people are basing their replies on how you titled this thread?? All the replies I have read seem to be right on the mark as far as what you asked.

Guerito

I can't say I'm getting pl*** for playing Skyrim, I actually think my wife is quite happy with it. I used to play an MMO before I got Skyrim. I had to team up with people, so I was not available sometimes for hours... With Skyrim, I can save and quit at any time she needs me. I like to think she appreciates this.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
My better half used to go "oh no, not Skyrim again!" until she herself tried it. She had to grudgingly admit that she liked it! That was a glorious day for me. :D The only thing she didn't like about it was the wildly flailing camera angles.. guess she wasn't used to 1st or 3rd perspective computer games (she doesn't play video games apart from a few ones on her cell phone, Angry Birds etc). Afterwards she kept bugging me to let her play, which I did.. it was mostly her wandering around just outside of the starting dungeon, picking random flowers and fighting wolves. At first those fights went along the lines of her hitting the keyboard in panic with her entire hand, going "OMG OMG the wolf's gonna eat me, HELP!!". After she calmed down a little and got her bearings, she started kicking ass. But she still ran off a cliff and died a couple of times, and accidentally barbequed a chicken in Riverwood with a flame spell, invoking the wrath of the locals, who naturally punished her for her transgression. :D

It was the same back when I was playing Fallout 3.. lots of complaining that gradually shifted to curiosity, a desire see what it was all about. However, it only took one traumatic experience with headphones on in a dark subway tunnel infested with feral ghouls to put her off the game for good. That scared the bejesus out of her!

My sister also likes to play Skyrim on my older brother's XBOX when we get together at his place. In her opinion the best part about it is, and I quote, "beating men!".

BSE

Not in the slightest. My wife is also a gamer. Maybe not as obsessed as I am, but she plays games all the time, including Skyrim.

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
People used to give me plops about adventuring in Skyrim, then they all took arrows to the knee........and bought the game themselves (except my wife, she is a fun-nazi)

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I never tell anyone I play Video games... ever. It's my loney closet I hide in, but I could see it being hard when spouses don't like it. I'm not married, and I was fortunate to find a lovley Girlfriend Addicted to Collecting World of Warcraft pets so I don't have the problem.

However! I find it interesting how Society is Getting way Better about these types of things. The Nintendo Generation is all grown up and has kids of their own now. Video Games are becoming, not only the norm as a pass time, but it's becoming as big as the Movie industy.

...Oh and the Movie Industry? Well now a days, the big blockbuster they are normally pushing out is a Fantasy or a Comic Book hero movie. The Top Franchises in Hollywood are either about Elves and Dwarfs, Wizards and Magic, or Robots and Space...

...We, are in the "Dawning of the Age of Anerdyious!" It is becomeing the norm to venture and explore such things. Young and Old all play some sort of Video game. Mark my words, in the very near future will be the time when the person that tells you that "Video Games are for Nerds"... ends up being the person that isn't Up with the times and is out of the loop. :D

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
For me it was I go out too much, I go to raves too much, I smoke too much weed… blah blah blah...

Now I play too much Skyrim, New Vegas… blah blah blah.

What do you people want from me???

Panthera

Don Gato
For me it was I go out too much, I go to raves too much, I smoke too much weed… blah blah blah...

Now I play too much Skyrim, New Vegas… blah blah blah.

What do you people want from me???
Maybe they want you to balance it like 1/4 raves, 1/4 weed, 1/4 Skyrim and 1/4 New Vegas. ;)

Panthera

Don Gato
I forgot to tell... I do similar thing like Hargood. I didn't said to anybody that I play Skyrim. I'm like: "Skyrim? Oh yeah I heard about it... arrow to the knee thing. Right?"

Wolf

Hello, is it tea you're looking for?
My friends at school call it Lick-rim

like the rim of a .... nevermind..

One of them used to be a b**** about it, but now he loves the game ;-;

oh yeah people who see me play just dont have the patience to sit and watch and 80% of the time im roaming and traveling to places on the map so they always turn and walk away just before the action starts.

My dads a professional south african fencer so his knowlegde of melee combat weaponary Ie : short, long , broad swords is extensive. He just loves this sort of thing.

ill be clearing a castle of bandits and he'll be shouting and cheering me on "swing now"!!
"waaaaiitttt....ok now block!!
"double strike!!!"
"duck!!" dogde!!!

my 1st giant i came across he was sitting next to me and said "Krikee moses look at the size of that club!, my thoughts are with you my son" LOL hehehehe

he's the only person iv come across that actualy sits and watches with me.

moms like "oooo the pretty colours"
That's so awesome! Your dad sounds like a ton of fun! :p haha My parents are just like "Oh you are playing that pokemon again huh?" Gee, why yes I am mother! One of my friends jokingly calls me a nerd, but I know if he had Skyrim he would play just as much as me.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Reading through this thread makes me appreciate living on my own and being my own lord and master, even if the GF does have a thing or two to say about my Skyrim sessions when she's around to witness them. When she comes over I usually just call it quits and resume playing once she's gone. Not much point in playing the game if you feel a constant nagging sense of disapproval, whether she expresses it vocally or remains silent.

Th3 Indi3 Gam3r

Friends who play sports games think that games like skyrim are for 'Gay nerds' which confuses me because not everyone needs to like the same things.If you like playing skyrim,play it,if you like playing fifa or nfl,play them.I agree I sometimes ditch fb for this.

Emilia

the scorpion rises under the balsamic moon
the only crap i get is from my husband... he is usually giving me crap because HE wants to play... we take turns and like to watch each other though... most of the time! he's very good, he looks things up for me when i need it and i do the same for him. cool to see another side of the story that i'd have probably never seen otherwise too!

Emilia

the scorpion rises under the balsamic moon
...We, are in the "Dawning of the Age of Anerdyious!" It is becomeing the norm to venture and explore such things. Young and Old all play some sort of Video game. Mark my words, in the very near future will be the time when the person that tells you that "Video Games are for Nerds"... ends up being the person that isn't Up with the times and is out of the loop. :D

yeah i generally find that people who aren't interested in intellectual hobbies are just ignorant, or either unintelligent and therefore not someone who should be bothered with anyway... (damn that sounded cold...)

Panthera

Don Gato
My friends at school call it Lick-rim

like the rim of a .... nevermind..

One of them used to be a b**** about it, but now he loves the game ;-;
You've made me curious... please continue.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
The only pl*ps I get is when I say that Muiri gives me 100 septims plus a homecooked meal each day.

About 11 years ago my wife was ill and the doc diagnosed work related stress. We had similar responsible jobs so she wanted to know why I didn't suffer & the doc said I played video games and that they are a form of stress relief. What a result ..... medical reasons for playing games.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I was just wondering if people got pl*** for being as obsessed with this game as I am. Before, on a friday night, everyone would go to bed and there were times when I'd stay up til the sun came up playing. Doesnt happen anymore but in the beginning when I first got the game that was a regular friday-saturday night ( or should I say morning). Thats where the idea for this thread came from and thats where my wifes amazment at my love for this game started. Some of the comments are a liitle off the mark. I never said it was a problem just some teasing out of fun. If I can get my wife to like watching Game of Thrones (which I did) then dammit, I'll get her to like Skyrim!

I have young children. I value whatever sleep I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jet

Not so much for playing Skyrim, as doing something in it. Specifically: mammoth killing. My brother and brother-in-law and I were playing Skyrim; my brother had just started and it was his first time seeing a mammoth. Naturally, he asked me to kill it for him and I was only too happy to grant the request. His girlfriend walks in and start freaking out that I'm killing that sweet, innocent, what-did-it-ever-do-to-you mammoth (it existed. That's what it did to me). For the rest of the weekend anytime one of us was playing Skyrim, she would give us these seething looks. It was wonderful. ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts