Do you get crap for playing Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

omac0101

I love Skyrim, my wife thinks its the dumbest thing on earth. I have two kids who I spend alot of quality time with, a full time job where I work 40+ hours a week and also as I mentioned above, a beautiful understanding great wife. Her only flaw, she cant stand Skyrim. Now, dont misunderstand me. She doesnt complain about me playing or ask me to stop playing, its just whenever I have my "me" time, I'm either palying skyrim, watching videos on youtube about skyrim, texting about skyrim to my buddy Chancey Steamer, or on these forums (since I refuse to have a facebook account my wife calls this "your version of facebook"). Its not that bad. I just get the "rolling eyes"or a "oh my god not that game again!" I know there are alot of stories about a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, mom, dad, brother, sister, friend or whatever that gives you crap for playing skyrim. I would love to hear your personal stories. And remeber, we always have each other!

VolenKiller

The Idealist
Friends that always play sports game say "omfg, that's gay." or something like that. Sisters say "oh my god havnt you been on that for hours... nerd" . Parents, "your grounded for being on their to long" (whatthefucman) . I dont even tell my girlfriend about my videogames, i just tell her im "being a nerd and playing video games"

VolenKiller

The Idealist
Oh and fluff yeah. This is facebook for skyrim my nigga. I ditch fb for this often. and im a teen. addicting as shyt

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
No, I don't get any crap about it except for a teasing and playful comment now and then about being addicted to it. My mom occasionally watches me play and admires how I can remember "all those video game things".

Thread starter, it sounds like your wife needs to realize that you have your hobbies that you enjoy and needs to learn to respect that, not degrade and/or insult you for it. Tell her to find something that she can enjoy doing alone when you have your own time and are playing Skyrim. As long as your family isn't hurting, there's really no reason for her to bitch so much.

Just for trolling measures (on my part mostly xD), if she has something that she is similarly "addicted" to, you could degrade and insult her for that.

PelagiusIV

Nope, nothing serious. Some of my co-workers will poke fun at it, but then other co-workers play it just as much as I do. My fiance actually encourages me to play it. She said it's almost like watching a movie. I've tried to get her to play it, but as soon as a wolf runs in her direction she throws the controller at me because she's to scared to fight anything.

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
My friends will make comments about how I "disappeared" into Skyrim. But other than that I'm fine. I have other friends who I surround my time talking about the game and how it's awesome.

KC95

No. I don't really tell anyone about my minor video game obsessions. I suppose my xbox friends can see what I play but thats about it.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I get plops for whatever game I play. 'Cause I'm a gamer girl. :rolleyes: I hate that term, a gamer is a gamer. Gender has nothing to do with it.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I enjoy meeting a guy who isn't completely surprised at the notion of female gamers. I'm somewhat baffled that guys don't think us women folk would be interested in a game like Skyrim.

But, as I said, I get plops from people no matter what game I play. Hell, I get plops for liking cars, action/horror/sci-fi/gory movies. I even like sports, and that comes as a surprise.

No offense to the thread starter's wife, but sometimes, I think guys expect us to be that way.

I get plops from my mates, but no mroe plops than I give them about the games they play (ahh the wonders of understanding that everybody likes different things.

Daedric Death Master

Cape Town, South Africa Daedric Nord level 46
oh yeah people who see me play just dont have the patience to sit and watch and 80% of the time im roaming and traveling to places on the map so they always turn and walk away just before the action starts.

My dads a professional south african fencer so his knowlegde of melee combat weaponary Ie : short, long , broad swords is extensive. He just loves this sort of thing.

ill be clearing a castle of bandits and he'll be shouting and cheering me on "swing now"!!
"waaaaiitttt....ok now block!!
"double strike!!!"
"duck!!" dogde!!!

my 1st giant i came across he was sitting next to me and said "Krikee moses look at the size of that club!, my thoughts are with you my son" LOL hehehehe

he's the only person iv come across that actualy sits and watches with me.

moms like "oooo the pretty colours"

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
my sister always annoy me if i play Skyrim, she thinks that Skyrim is the wost game in 2011, and that there is no game worse then it, and it's soo boring. I told her to try it before she makes here decision about how good is the game. She started to like it when she played it, until the dragon attacked.

omac0101

I think its the fact that my wife has never seen me so invovled in one of my hobbies this much. I'm usually pretty in and out with everything I do. Especially with a hobby that she doesnt understand. She has tried to watch me play a couple of times but in all honesty if you catch someone playing skyrim at the wrong time, you will sit there and watch them craft and enchant weapons and armor for a good 2 hours (with no action btw) and someone who doesnt play will be thinking " why the hell would anyone spend that amount of time doing that for so long?) But like I said before, its not complaining, its more like teasing.

Raven

I still live at home so of course I get crap off parents. TBH this is the first time I've actually played this genre for so long. I normally play GTA, the WWE games, CoD series and that sorta crap. I eventually bought Skyrim since everyone at work was raving about it. Always thought RPG's were for nerds.
Soon proved myself wrong o_O

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Nearly the same boat as you. I'm almost 30, married, and we have a 2 year old and a second due in 3 months. Also a working full time professional. I divide my personal time (the short space between when Charlotte goes to bed and before I crash for the night). Between Skyrim and reading 40k literature. The wife has her 8.30-10.30 'shows' she likes to watch, and I can't stand, so it just works.

The wife doesn't get Skyrim either, yet she likes it when I talk about Halo? Go figure?

omac0101

Nearly the same boat as you. I'm almost 30, married, and we have a 2 year old and a second due in 3 months. Also a working full time professional. I divide my personal time (the short space between when Charlotte goes to bed and before I crash for the night). Between Skyrim and reading 40k literature. The wife has her 8.30-10.30 'shows' she likes to watch, and I can't stand, so it just works.

The wife doesn't get Skyrim either, yet she likes it when I talk about Halo? Go figure?

I was just wondering if people got plops for being as obsessed with this game as I am. Before, on a friday night, everyone would go to bed and there were times when I'd stay up til the sun came up playing. Doesnt happen anymore but in the beginning when I first got the game that was a regular friday-saturday night ( or should I say morning). Thats where the idea for this thread came from and thats where my wifes amazment at my love for this game started. Some of the comments are a liitle off the mark. I never said it was a problem just some teasing out of fun. If I can get my wife to like watching Game of Thrones (which I did) then dammit, I'll get her to like Skyrim!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Friends that always play sports game say "omfg, that's gay."

You should invite them to stay the night, male friends can sleep together.