• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Eolexis

I know that Nords hate Argonians (like they do with every other race) but do Argonians hate Nords? I know they hate the Dunmer although that's because they enslaved them.

Rimfaxe96

Some Argonians do hate the Nords, some don't. Same as some Argonians hating Dunmer, others don't.
But most simply ignore, they don't dwell on hatred.
Lookie here, this Argonian gathered his buddies - all former slaves of House Dres and some traitors - to help the Dunmer and Nords during the Akaviri Invasion: http://www.imperial-library.info/content/argonian-saxhleel

There's even an Argonian guy who married a Dunmer woman in TESO, and a little Argonian tribe who fled the war and were welcomed to settle down in Valenwood in exchange for some of the fish they catch. This is what actually made me like the Argonians in the first place, they're pretty cool and not hot-headed; where they drove the Dunmer from southern Morrowind and settled there themselves humans would have taken their chance and erased them all because human nature doesn't include forgiving (ask the Snow Elves or Ayleids about their experiences with the aftermaths of human enslavement). Of course the An-Xileel are obviously bitter about the Empire ignoring it's anti-slavery rule in Morrowind but except for those fellas - who didn't mind Umbriel killing their own people just because they didn't follow their philosophy; they're just fascist - I have yet to hear or read anything about unprovoked Argonian aggression.

Seriously, if the Thalmor had played their cards differently and went into a bigger alliance of Altmer-Bosmer-Khajiit-Argonians, mankind would have been in big trouble.

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
This is a very generalized question, because obviously not every single member of a race hate other very single member of another. Also to clarify, Nords do not hate Argonians. However, the members of the Stormcloaks do. Their prejudice and racism knows no bounds, and should not be generalized as all Nords. Half of Skyrim remains under Imperial influence and are not open to racism. To add to that, the game is programmed to which ALL Nordic NPC's recite the line "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!". They don't mean that, they are programmed to say it.

Now onto the question. Do all Argonians hate Nords? No. Absolutely not. There are many Argonians that are not racist to Nords. Madesi, Keerava, Golum-Ei, Derkeethus, Veezara, Deja, ect.

Actually, I don't think I have ever come across a racist Argonian in Skyrim. Apart from the ones on Windhelm that is. Hmm.

Writes-Many-Posts

Champion of Grottos and Gremlins
Actually, I don't think I have ever come across a racist Argonian in Skyrim. Apart from the ones on Windhelm that is. Hmm.

That actually somewhat reminds me of the gypsies of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Treat people like animals and they behave like animals.

The other argonians probably do not despise nords because they haven't been exposed to racism during their lives, nor dumpstered in horrible jobs simply due to their race.

But nah, no Argonian hates a Nord just for the sake of hating. Like you said, the only racist argonians in game are found in Windhelm, a place where, to be fair, you kind of have the right to be mad at other races (nords in particular)

What saddens me is that I can't take any of them with me to a quest or something. They are stuck there for ever :sadface:
Except for Shahvee. I think she can be married.

Eolexis

I was just wondering because I'm writing a fanfic about an Argonian who is raised in a family of Nord where he ends up becoming the heir to ruling Riften, which causes controversy among the Nords who don't want him taking over.

General Charles Xander

I was just wondering because I'm writing a fanfic about an Argonian who is raised in a family of Nord where he ends up becoming the heir to ruling Riften, which causes controversy among the Nords who don't want him taking over.
You shouldn't have a problem with that depending on the time frame. Windhelm is rift next to Riften, and with the Civil War raging on, the Stormcloaks might not be to keen on an Argonian Jarl. The only person you would have a problem with accepting the heir to the throne would be Vulwulf considering he's a staunch Stormcloak supporter. But that's about it really.

Eolexis

You shouldn't have a problem with that depending on the time frame. Windhelm is rift next to Riften, and with the Civil War raging on, the Stormcloaks might not be to keen on an Argonian Jarl. The only person you would have a problem with accepting the heir to the throne would be Vulwulf considering he's a staunch Stormcloak supporter. But that's about it really.

Well the story takes place several years after the Civil War (which in the story was won by the Imperials)

Rimfaxe96

(which in the story was won by the Imperials)

That's the only problem I see there - I can't think of a scenario in which the Blackbriars would take their claws off of Riften. The highest I could imagine someone to rise in rank would be Steward to that bastard son of Maven or brewmaster of their meadery.

General Charles Xander

(which in the story was won by the Imperials)

That's the only problem I see there - I can't think of a scenario in which the Blackbriars would take their claws off of Riften. The highest I could imagine someone to rise in rank would be Steward to that bastard son of Maven or brewmaster of their meadery.
I agree with this. With enough money however, and since he's an heir he should have a lot of money, he could have the Dark Brotherhood take care of her. Though a dead Maven would be unbeneficial to the Empire.

Rimfaxe96

I agree with this. With enough money however, and since he's an heir he should have a lot of money, he could have the Dark Brotherhood take care of her. Though a dead Maven would be unbeneficial to the Empire.

Hemming has no reason to assassinate his mother though. He'll inherit all the power she's establishing and in the meantime she doesn't mind him spending some of their money to get him trained etc.

FarFoxes

Perhaps if maven was extremely embarrassed by the thrives guild to the point she couldn't get them all "taken care of"?

Hey there folks I like cool things

Rimfaxe96

Perhaps if maven was extremely embarrassed by the thrives guild to the point she couldn't get them all "taken care of"?

Hey there folks I like cool things

Wecome to the forum. :)

And nope, Maven controls the Thieves Guild. And she too has no reason to get rid of them.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
This is a very generalized question, because obviously not every single member of a race hate other very single member of another. Also to clarify, Nords do not hate Argonians. However, the members of the Stormcloaks do.
Because that's not a generalized statement at all...

Considering the Stormcloaks are majority Old Hold Nords, the Old Holds have always generally been against outsiders and for the whole "Skyrim for the Nords" way of thinking.

The Argonians of Windhelm were banished under Ulfric's decree, which in itself is questionable and even if it wasn't racially motivated he doesn't exactly clearly express why he did it, we get chaps like Rolff who take Ulfric's actions for their own agenda and possibly twist the motive.

Then again we also have every generic Stormcloak call Argonians by the racial slur of "Lizard".

Though it is a generalization and not every Stormcloak would hate Argonians, there is a lot of generalization in this thread given that not all Argonians hate Nords. Unless you consider the Argonian Government... Now they hate Imperials, Nords and probably everyone that isn't Argonian, well they do hate "assimilated" Argonians who have lived under foreign rule or have adapted to foreign customs.

We think the Thalmor are bad? Black Marsh had a few of their own purges against non-Argonian and assimilated Argonians.

Maven holds the power, not the rest of the family. If Maven was to pass on, all her political and underworld connections would vanish with her. People fear Maven, not her halfwit heirs.

She is getting on in years.

Last edited:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

Well some small things about Argonians if you want to have more life to your character.

A low growl in the throat is an Argonian sound of embarrassment.

When angry, Argonians may puff out their spines and give off a “fighting odor,” presumably to scare away the competition or prepare for a fight.

Xuth, Waxhuthi and Kaoc' are Argonian curse words/exclamations.

AS88

Staff member
@DrunkenMage , weren't the Argonians kept out of Windhelm to lessen the risk of Argonian/Dunmer fighting?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
@DrunkenMage, weren't the Argonians kept out of Windhelm to lessen the risk of Argonian/Dunmer fighting?
Yes, they were. They weren't segregated because Nords are racist against Argonians, but because Argonians and Dunmer have a long and bloody history, and Ulfric is trying to keep that enmity from exploding.

On the other hand, we have evidence that Torygg did not allow Argonians into Solitude—Ahtar the headsman (most definitely not a Stormcloak, by the way) says "I'd fancy a chance at that Jaree-Ra's scrawny neck. Filthy Argonian never would have set foot in this city, if High King Torygg was still alive, I can tell you that." Yet, Solitude doesn't have the same issue of potential violence between Argonians and Dunmer, as not a single Dunmer lives in Solitude.

Then again we also have every generic Stormcloak call Argonians by the racial slur of "Lizard".
I don't think that's Stormcloak-specific, but a generic line of dialogue for all Nords. Or at least city guards. I know city guards, and not only in Windhelm, have called me "lizard" or "cat" or "elf" when I'm playing those races.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
@DrunkenMage, weren't the Argonians kept out of Windhelm to lessen the risk of Argonian/Dunmer fighting?
Yes, they were. They weren't segregated because Nords are racist against Argonians, but because Argonians and Dunmer have a long and bloody history, and Ulfric is trying to keep that enmity from exploding.

On the other hand, we have evidence that Torygg did not allow Argonians into Solitude—Ahtar the headsman (most definitely not a Stormcloak, by the way) says "I'd fancy a chance at that Jaree-Ra's scrawny neck. Filthy Argonian never would have set foot in this city, if High King Torygg was still alive, I can tell you that." Yet, Solitude doesn't have the same issue of potential violence between Argonians and Dunmer, as not a single Dunmer lives in Solitude.

I don't think that's Stormcloak-specific, but a generic line of dialogue for all Nords. Or at least city guards. I know city guards, and not only in Windhelm, have called me "lizard" or "cat" or "elf" when I'm playing those races.
I would fancy giving him a chance at Jaree-Ra's neck. :beermug: If a nuke were to hit Solitude, the only life remaining would be the roaches and Jaree-Ra.