• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ryel

Hey everyone,

I got the game over a year ago, but just started playing. I've gone through a little bit and feel like I've learned enough about the game to attempt a proper build and go through for real. I've already narrowed it down to a couple of builds and will finalize my new build in the next day or two.

My question is this - Is it worth it to get the DLC right away, or should I wait for a certain point in the game to download the DLC? Also, is it worth it to get all the different DLC's?

Thanks,
R

Yukari Yakumo

The Countless Violet Clouds
I would say yes. They add a lot to the game, but it's your choice. Here's a small list of things added on with each dlc

Dawnguard: new equipment, enemies, shouts, horse, perk trees for Lycanthropy and Vampirism, Vampire Lord form, can get Lycanthropy again if previously cured, :pinkdragon: craftable Dragonbone weapons:bluedragon: , arrow fletching(smithing), crossbows, Serana<3

Hearthfire: 3 craftable fully customizable houses(ex: can make all smithing amenities and shrines to all 9 Divines in the basement:Dragonborn: ), adoption system allows 2 children

Dragonborn: whole new area, equipment, enemies, shouts, reward for the main dlc questline allows you to redistribute perk points in any category in exchange for 1 dragon soul

Ryel

Thanks for the advice. Should I get the DLC's right away or is there a certain point in the game where it makes sense to get them? Also, Hearthfire doesn't seem like it adds a ton - is there something I'm missing about it? Do the extra adoptions help with anything at all?

Thanks,
R

If you haven't ever finished the main quest line I personally would do that before starting the DLCs.
Just my personal opinion. But there is nothing wrong with getting the DLCs immediately cause you don't have to actually start the main DLC quests immediately.

GreatorGood

Lost One
I would say get Heathfire you'll be able to build homes from scatch. complete the main quest then you can get the other dlcs.

Yukari Yakumo

The Countless Violet Clouds
Thanks for the advice. Should I get the DLC's right away or is there a certain point in the game where it makes sense to get them? Also, Hearthfire doesn't seem like it adds a ton - is there something I'm missing about it? Do the extra adoptions help with anything at all?

Thanks,
R
You don't have to get them by any specific time.
As long as your not totally fresh(i.e. have gotten at least to level 8-12) you'll hear about the vampires in Dawnguard and encounter the Cultists in Dragonborn. There's also some unique dialogue in Dragonborn depending on if you've finished the main questline and the Discerning the Transmudane quest where you meet Hermeas Mora.

For Hearthfire, it doesn't add a new quest or anything. It adds the adoption mechanic which is similar to marriage(quaint but not game changing) and the ability to create and furnish up to 3 homesteads which can be fun and useful in its own way.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts