• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters
If you pirate you're a thief. It's really that simple.
It's actually more complicated than that.
I agree that pirating is generally wrong, and I haven't done it in a very long time, but given the nature of digital property, it doesn't meet the definition of theft. It's just a bad comparison. The *idea* behind your point, I agree with though.

Again, I'm not condoning pirating in any way, just saying that the terminology is wrong and there's a better argument to be made somewhere.

The only comeuppance that's truly "Fair" would be to get caught, and fined an offal lot more than $60 for their crime. The police don't work that way, but it would be fitting.

It's actually more complicated than that.
I agree that pirating is generally wrong, and I haven't done it in a very long time, but given the nature of digital property, it doesn't meet the definition of theft. It's just a bad comparison. The *idea* behind your point, I agree with though.

Again, I'm not condoning pirating in any way, just saying that the terminology is wrong and there's a better argument to be made somewhere.
The term you're looking for is Fraud. There's a few more, but none of them are positive. From any angle, it's wrong.

The term you're looking for is Fraud. There's a few more, but none of them are positive. From any angle, it's wrong.
Oh, I agree, but the terms being used such as 'theft' are innaccurate to the point that when US congress tries to curb the problem, they just make things worse. The wording can be very important in a debate.

Well... I guess it's better than being a butt pirate.

"Why are butt pirates butt pirates? Because they just aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr fruits."

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
Who's fault is it really? The people who pirate it or the people that make it possible to pirate it? If someone was giving out free skyrim games on the street corner which happened to be stolen whose fault is it, the person who takes it or the person who gives it?

Both. Be responsible and don't do either.

Thallik the Orc

Blacksmith
I would have, but my computer sucks at gaming so I bought it for the 360.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Sociology, and Psychopathology, yes. Nothing other than Antisocial Behavior. Same as shoplifting, sexual harrassment, and gay bashing, it's not all the same, but the self serving rationale is. A sociopathic personality is all about looking out for #1. I'm the only one who's important, and any excuse I can make to justify whatever serves me, at the expense of others is "good".

Piracy is wrong, illegal, immoral, and self serving. It's not about wearing an eypatch, and starting every sentance with "yar!" but boils down to "Mine, fu** you." On the scale of evil, it's quite low, but it's still wrong, and no self serving denial is going to change that. All the excuses I've seen in this thread are pretty much the same thing evil people use to justify their much worse behavior. Now, a lot of people tried to explain that in gentler terms, and failed. So, I decided to shew exactly where that behavior comes from, and the worst examples of where it leads. Go ahead, and steal, just don't try to tell me that doesn't make you a bad person. Most of the worst people humanity has created didn't consider themselves "evil", and used the exact same excuses to "prove' it.

While I can't speak for others I can certainly speak for myself when it comes down to the motivation for pirating games. While I may not be a perfect individual, I do not have the sociopathic personality trait. I'm not looking out just for my own self, and I especially don't have the “fluff you” mentality either. I realize that if I don't pay for a product that I enjoy that I would be hurting another party therefor I contribute by paying for the game.

The fact to the matter is Bethesda didn't even bother to release a demo version for us to try therefor they forced us to take an unfortunate route, and that is piracy. Yes it's wrong but so is not offering your potential consumers the right to try it out before they buy.

To end this debate with a positive note piracy, for me that is, gave Bethesda business.
5f2ef2b2.jpg

I once played Skyrim illegally, but now switched over to the legal side. I can't possibly be a bad person for contributing to the company.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
The fact to the matter is Bethesda didn't even bother to release a demo version for us to try therefor they forced us to take an unfortunate route, and that is piracy.

You've got to be kidding me. They didn't FORCE anything on you. I'm sorry, but your statement is ludicrous. They FORCED you to break the law? (laughs)

Yes it's wrong but so is not offering your potential consumers the right to try it out before they buy.

And again, it's not ILLEGAL for them to not offer a demo. However, it is ILLEGAL for doing what you did.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
MushroomGenius I'm sorry but you're giving me an equal amount of laugh over here. Since I closed my debate I'm not obligated to respond back to you because it would only reopen this endless debate. It would encourage more people to repeat the famously known words "Illegal" and "Law". I call it the Took an arrow to the knee syndrome.

MushroomGenius

MushroomGenius I'm sorry but you're giving me an equal amount of laugh over here. Since I closed my debate I'm not obligated to respond back to you because it would only reopen this endless debate. It would encourage more people to repeat the famously known words "Illegal" and "Law". I call it the Took an arrow to the knee syndrome.

Ask a cop dude.

Would you tell your kids that it's okay to do what you did?

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
I don't really care much about upholding the law, but I do hold myself accountable for being a detriment to great artistic works. I'd feel terribly guilty for stealing something I loved from an artist who I respected, it just doesn't make any sense to me to steal from those you care about.

I wouldn't steal from my friends or family, because I care about them, and they are positive things in my life. As well, I wouldn't steal from a game development company who made games I liked because they create positive things in my life. I think its fine to pirate anywhere along the line, as long as you buy it at some point.

MushroomGenius

No I'm not going to ask a cop, why should I when I already bought the game? No harm was done.

Ask him if what you're doing is harmless.

Raijin" said:
I don't have kids, other than my dogs and a couple of Guinea pigs, so that would be quite difficult to do since neither species can use a computer or play a console game.

You don't have kids, but many of us do (or plan to). Everything I do is influential to them. If I'm there breaking laws, what kind of role model would I be?

You can't "sample" everything in life Raijin and then make amends by paying for it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts