• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
You know Bethesda can learn a thing or two from World of Warcraft. Anyone can play W.O.W for up to level 30 if I'm not mistaken. If you want to progress even further you must pay a subscription fee. This is how you get costumers. Let 'em get a taste before they buy. Why would I pirate W.O.W when the company is allowing me to try it out for free?

Well you can't really compare Skyrim to WoW. WoW is subscription based. They make money off month-to-month fees, not a one-time purchase (w/ DLC). Also, I don't recall WoW being free when it was first released, I could be mistaken as I've never played it.

A demo would have been nice, perhaps just letting you play through Bleak Falls Barrow or something. Still it's not justifiable to pirate it "just to try it out".

Someone brought up a car dealership... that's a big difference from a video game, you're talking thousands of dollars vs. less than a hundred. You're also considering safety and something that you use as transportation everyday.

We could throw analogies back and forth, won't make a smidge of difference. I can't just open a box of cookies in a store "just to try it out", then put it back on the shelf can I?

Another poster mentioned stealing the game from Walmart, and I'd agree, isn't that essentially the same as what you're doing by pirating? But because it's not a brick and mortar store, that makes it okay?

I'm kind of in the grey area and not to bring up another subject, but I initially bought the 360 version used from Gamestop, so while at the time I wasn't technically a Bethesda customer, I was a Gamestop one. Beth made no money off of my purchase since the original buyer was the one they profited from. However, I did purchase the PC version via Steam a few weeks ago (as I posted earlier).

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Well you can't really compare Skyrim to WoW. WoW is subscription based. They make money off month-to-month fees, not a one-time purchase (w/ DLC). Also, I don't recall WoW being free when it was first released, I could be mistaken as I've never played it.
WoW only became free on a limited basis when there was so much added content that playing on the free version, which not only is level limited but severely content limited was like being second class citizen where you could see all the dangling candy (full content and capabilities) but couldn't touch it. You're also right regarding the distinction of it being a subscription based game. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar

I'm not comparing skyrim to WoW. I am simply explaining how Bethesda can use the concept of severely limiting people who are running trials. People can download the full version of the game, but to login you must obtain a key, of course. You can get the trials key which restricts you to most of the things in the game, or you can get a full license which then gives you full access.

A demo would have been nice, perhaps just letting you play through Bleak Falls Barrow or something. Still it's not justifiable to pirate it "just to try it out".
Bethesda could very well release a demo if they truly wanted to. The fact is that they were keen on releasing the game on a specific date (11/11/11) and that was it. That's why when people bought the game they were surprise to see dragons flying backward.

Someone brought up a car dealership... that's a big difference from a video game, you're talking thousands of dollars vs. less than a hundred. You're also considering safety and something that you use as transportation everyday.
Cars and DVD's are both products/Items. No matter how expensive or how inexpensive they're still the same, and should be treated the same. Theirs no excuse.

We could throw analogies back and forth, won't make a smidge of difference. I can't just open a box of cookies in a store "just to try it out", then put it back on the shelf can I?

No but if theirs something wrong with the cookies I can take them back to the store for a full refund where you're unable to do it with broken down software.

Well, not to mention W.o.W. is a multiplayer online game, and TES is offline single player. You buy Skyrim once, or maybe 3 times for cross platform, and then they come out with DLC, that's how they make money. I'm not going into the legal ramifications, the Law is such that if you haven't committed one crime in your lifetime, then you're probably a shut-in. It's simple economics, really. The company has a bunch of employees, and they get paychecks. To pay those, they have to make money on the game. If some people pay for it, and others don't, then they have to set the price for a profit from the ones who do.

So, Piracy is one of the reasons it's a $60.00 game, along with the thousands of man-hours they have to pay labor on, promotion, and distribution. If you All bought one, or more copies, then Bethesda would be able to lower the price, and undercut the competition. Some of the ways they prevent this is by making Steam authenticate copies, so you can use the Creation Kit, up/download Mods, and share your trophies with your friend. These things take money to develop too.

I'm not moralizing here, but the next time you're standing in line for the cash register and you got the Dovakiin theme stuck in your head, thank Bethesda for providing months of addictive entertainment for free. While you're at it, try and remember all the suckers who pay for it so Bethesda can stay in business, and keep producing the franchize. No, they don't have to provide a Demo. They didn't have to make the game in the first place. That's no excuse for committing fraud so you can get free entertainment. There's plenty of free games online. What, they suck? That's right, because they don't have the resources to make a massive, beautiful intricate game with thousands of re-playable hours because nobody gives them money for them.

Do your part, send them some money so maybe the next game doesn't have to cost a measly $60. Seriously, is that a month's cable subscription? Phone service? It's a 1 time fee for potentially years of time wasting. If you can't bring yourself to call that a deal, then don't play it. Try RunEscape, and see what a free game's like. Or pirate it, and play it for free.

Just don't make me read your sociopathic justifications. You know anything about Serial Killers? Sexual Predators? Not all of them, but quite a few start with Dehumanizing the Victim. (It's a victimless crime", or "She wanted it," or "She shouldn't have been going out dressed likeat." Another popular one is the NAMBLA party line of "I was sexualized as a child, and it didn't make me grow up into a monster!" Sound familiar? Well try this: They're just a faceless company, and they've got plenty of money, amirite? They're probably sitting like fat cats, thinking of new ways to jack up the price. It's not like they'll notice 1 copy here, or there. It's their own fault for not providing a Demo. I grew up recording music off the radio, and it didn't make me into a pathological fraud, did it? The other broad type are the Power Assertives, Sexual Sadists, and Thrill Killers. They know it's wrong, and do it for teh evulz. I can almost respect them more, because at least they aren't self deluded.

Now, I'm not saying that software fraud makes you a serial killer, just pointing out that it's the same rationale. I used a Pirated Copy, but you don't see me making excuses for it. If you did too, you committed Fraud. (Technically, you steal goods, like a Disk, and defraud services.) Denial doesn't change that. So Admit it, or STFU. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Raijin, you must be new to video games. Because the bugs and glitches argument is getting old. I remember back when I had a NES that the games could bug and glitch out. It's nothing new to the video game industry. And it only makes sense that the more complex the games became, the more issues that could arise. It's code. Code likes to fluff up. Bethesda isn't the only developer that has games with these kind of problems. Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption was riddled with glitches and bugs, in both the single and multi player games.

Even game you purchase has risk attached to it. That it may in fact have issues. And anyone who has played a Bethesda game before should be EVEN more aware of the problems their games have. I know I did when I purchased Skyrim. Because I played Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas. I knew going in what could await me. And I've never once regretted slapping down that 60 dollars. Skyrim has provided me with so much entertainment and replay value it's insane. The game has paid for itself multiple times over. Even amid some of the bugs and the glitches.

th_6DdDc2.gif

MushroomGenius

Cars and DVD's are both products/Items. No matter how expensive or how inexpensive they're still the same, and should be treated the same. Theirs no excuse.

There is no LAW that states a software producer/manufacturer needs to provide a demonstration model for you to test. However there are LAWS that state you cannot use their software without purchase. I honestly don't see the big deal and how you're continuing to justify theft.

Could they have created a demo? Sure. Did they need to? Judging by sales numbers and hype? Nope.

No but if theirs something wrong with the cookies I can take them back to the store for a full refund where you're unable to do it with broken down software.

Like I said, we could continue tossing analogies at each other and subsequently shoot each other down from our own viewpoint. You brought up DVDs above, no retailers that I know of will allow you to return a DVD once it's been opened unless it is truly defective, and even then you would only receive the same product again.

Going back to cars.. you testdrive a car for what, 10-15 minutes tops, then drop 20-40 grand. "Self-Justified Pirate" probably played Skyrim for 100 hours before deciding to actually legitimately spending $60, and even so, I'd wager that half of those that claim they bought it, never did.

Whether you ended up paying for it in the end or not, you still stole it initially. If you aren't sure about how the "latest and greatest" new things are, how about just waiting for a while before deciding to purchase? I'm sure within the first week of Skyrim's release, there were thousands of reviews and videos online. Whole forums were created to discuss the merits and flaws of said game. Oh look, that's where we are!

You're a smart man Raijin, you know full well that you could have researched every bit of Skyrim prior to purchase including how it would fare on your particular machine.

Nick_Tbolt

Wrong. Piracy is illegal no matter what. Theirs no such thing as mortals in piracy. Either you're a law breaker or a goodie two shoes that would never dream of conducting piracy acts because it's a god forbidden sinful act against the divines in all.

But seriously this is double standards. According to TJ "its morally OK to pirate the game if you bought it on a console" Yet is not mortally OK to pirate the game for the sole purpose to try it out prior to purchasing the game.
I agree, I think it's wrong in every instance, but I was trying to say what I thought he meant

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Diisk

Nothing's wrong with pirating games. I'd do it if I used a computer, but I quit using them. First time I played skyrim was a pirated copy on my laptop. But I sold the laptop, got skyrim for the ps3 then sold the ps3.
After that I just stole skyrim from Walmart.
But pirating is awesome because it's free games, saves you the outrageous 60$ they charge you for games.
Last game I bought was prototype 2, with both the dlc, came out to be like 75$ that's outrageous I will never buy a game again.

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
Well, not to mention W.o.W. is a multiplayer online game, and TES is offline single player. You buy Skyrim once, or maybe 3 times for cross platform, and then they come out with DLC, that's how they make money. I'm not going into the legal ramifications, the Law is such that if you haven't committed one crime in your lifetime, then you're probably a shut-in. It's simple economics, really. The company has a bunch of employees, and they get paychecks. To pay those, they have to make money on the game. If some people pay for it, and others don't, then they have to set the price for a profit from the ones who do.

So, Piracy is one of the reasons it's a $60.00 game, along with the thousands of man-hours they have to pay labor on, promotion, and distribution. If you All bought one, or more copies, then Bethesda would be able to lower the price, and undercut the competition. Some of the ways they prevent this is by making Steam authenticate copies, so you can use the Creation Kit, up/download Mods, and share your trophies with your friend. These things take money to develop too.

I'm not moralizing here, but the next time you're standing in line for the cash register and you got the Dovakiin theme stuck in your head, thank Bethesda for providing months of addictive entertainment for free. While you're at it, try and remember all the suckers who pay for it so Bethesda can stay in business, and keep producing the franchize. No, they don't have to provide a Demo. They didn't have to make the game in the first place. That's no excuse for committing fraud so you can get free entertainment. There's plenty of free games online. What, they suck? That's right, because they don't have the resources to make a massive, beautiful intricate game with thousands of re-playable hours because nobody gives them money for them.

Do your part, send them some money so maybe the next game doesn't have to cost a measly $60. Seriously, is that a month's cable subscription? Phone service? It's a 1 time fee for potentially years of time wasting. If you can't bring yourself to call that a deal, then don't play it. Try RunEscape, and see what a free game's like. Or pirate it, and play it for free.

Just don't make me read your sociopathic justifications. You know anything about Serial Killers? Sexual Predators? Not all of them, but quite a few start with Dehumanizing the Victim. (It's a victimless crime", or "She wanted it," or "She shouldn't have been going out dressed likeat." Another popular one is the NAMBLA party line of "I was sexualized as a child, and it didn't make me grow up into a monster!" Sound familiar? Well try this: They're just a faceless company, and they've got plenty of money, amirite? They're probably sitting like fat cats, thinking of new ways to jack up the price. It's not like they'll notice 1 copy here, or there. It's their own fault for not providing a Demo. I grew up recording music off the radio, and it didn't make me into a pathological fraud, did it? The other broad type are the Power Assertives, Sexual Sadists, and Thrill Killers. They know it's wrong, and do it for teh evulz. I can almost respect them more, because at least they aren't self deluded.

Now, I'm not saying that software fraud makes you a serial killer, just pointing out that it's the same rationale. I used a Pirated Copy, but you don't see me making excuses for it. If you did too, you committed Fraud. (Technically, you steal goods, like a Disk, and defraud services.) Denial doesn't change that. So Admit it, or STFU. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Very nicely put. That's exactly how I feel. It is a matter of respect to pay for the game. I'm not saying I've never pirated anything. I have. I don't make excuses for it. Theft is theft. But, I've loved Bethesda games for years. I would be ashamed to steal them. So I will always, and gladly, pay for their games.

Diisk

You can't compare rape and murder to stealing a video game. That's fluffing ridiculous. Just mentioning those in the same sentence is retarded. That just pisses me off. Even if your not comparing them your using rape to get your point across that pirating a game is wrong. That's ridiculous rape is horrendous my sister was raped. Agh I'm just gonna end this now before I write something I regret

You can't compare rape and murder to stealing a video game. That's f***ing ridiculous. Just mentioning those in the same sentence is retarded. That just pisses me off. Even if your not comparing them your using rape to get your point across that pirating a game is wrong. That's ridiculous rape is horrendous my sister was raped. Agh I'm just gonna end this now before I write something I regret
Sure I can, I just did. Of course it's not the same thing, just the same mentality. I see something I want, I take it. If I'm caught, or called on it, Blame the Victim. Whether it's software, a candy bar, a new Mercedes Benz, or an entire nation, it's the same antisocial behaviour. All adolescent males go through a stage in adolescence that's clinically indistinguishable from Sociopathy, that's why ASPD isn't diagnosed before age 25 (Except for extreme circumstances with pathological markers.) The difference is, most of us out grow it, and become adults.

Statistically, 1-in-3 women is sexually abused before the age of 18, (Probably because of all the sociopaths running around.) so odds are everyone either knows a victim, or is one. This can range from harassment to exposure to rape, to sexually motivated murder, the difference being a matter of scale, and intensity. Whether he patted you on the ass, or stabbed you long after you're dead, and played with your blood, it's the same motivation, and you're still a victim. I was a victim myself, and guess what, my abuser blamed me, society, and his parents for abusing me. Anyone but himself.

Pirating a game is wrong, maybe not as wrong as Rape, but blaming the company for your lack of impulse control, and self centered greed is antisocial. Grow up, be an adult, and admit your Fraud, or shut up, and suffer in silence. $60 is too much money? How long did any employee work on it for Bethesda? Months, years, longer than you're going to play it? If they'd been payed merely $60 for their trouble, they'd say it wasn't enough. If Bethesda didn't pay them anything, just took their hard work, and published it they'd go straight to court, and sue them for Fraud. You can lie to yourself all you want, as long as you keep it to yourself. Try to lie to me, and I will expose you for it.

GayGoblin

I'm the One who Stole Your Sweetroll
Nope, I would never pirate (even if pirates are sexy ;) ...). I understand people might not have a lot of money - I understand that really well, being one of those people - but whenever I want a new game, or clothes, or something that is a treat and not essential to my living... well, I go find a way to earn money - I will clean and organize houses, work on farms, sell livestock, babysit, etc etc anything I can do in my community to earn a few bucks.

And it might take a while, but I will save it all up until I have enough to treat myself. And even then, I usually will wait until I have a reason to treat myself - like recently I got my driver's permit and had to get my wisdom teeth out the next day, and I did really well in both situations. Soooo, I treated myself by finally buying Skyrim like I had been planning to :)

I also insist on buying all my electronics myself because then it ensures that they are mine and cannot be taken from me - as in, my parents, my cousins, whatever, they cannot just take it from me because it is my personal property.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
May I ask you, I'm trying to be as friendly as I can possibly can, what does piracy have to do with serial killers, sexual predators and being a sociopath? Isn't that going over the edge? I assume you took classes on forensic science, right? Rest to sure that pirating a game is definitely not the same rationale, and should not be treated otherwise.

Google

My mom bought the game for me for the PS3. It was a gift for a successful semester in college.

May I ask you, I'm trying to be as friendly as I can possibly can, what does piracy have to do with serial killers, sexual predators and being a sociopath? Isn't that going over the edge? I assume you took classes on forensic science, right? Rest to sure that pirating a game is definitely not the same rationale, and should not be treated otherwise.
Sociology, and Psychopathology, yes. Nothing other than Antisocial Behavior. Same as shoplifting, sexual harrassment, and gay bashing, it's not all the same, but the self serving rationale is. A sociopathic personality is all about looking out for #1. I'm the only one who's important, and any excuse I can make to justify whatever serves me, at the expense of others is "good".

Piracy is wrong, illegal, immoral, and self serving. It's not about wearing an eypatch, and starting every sentance with "yar!" but boils down to "Mine, fluff you." On the scale of evil, it's quite low, but it's still wrong, and no self serving denial is going to change that. All the excuses I've seen in this thread are pretty much the same thing evil people use to justify their much worse behavior. Now, a lot of people tried to explain that in gentler terms, and failed. So, I decided to shew exactly where that behavior comes from, and the worst examples of where it leads. Go ahead, and steal, just don't try to tell me that doesn't make you a bad person. Most of the worst people humanity has created didn't consider themselves "evil", and used the exact same excuses to "prove' it.

MushroomGenius

He answered your question here:

Sure I can, I just did. Of course it's not the same thing, just the same mentality. I see something I want, I take it. If I'm caught, or called on it, Blame the Victim. Whether it's software, a candy bar, a new Mercedes Benz, or an entire nation, it's the same antisocial behaviour. All adolescent males go through a stage in adolescence that's clinically indistinguishable from Sociopathy, that's why ASPD isn't diagnosed before age 25 (Except for extreme circumstances with pathological markers.) The difference is, most of us out grow it, and become adults.

Statistically, 1-in-3 women is sexually abused before the age of 18, (Probably because of all the sociopaths running around.) so odds are everyone either knows a victim, or is one. This can range from harassment to exposure to rape, to sexually motivated murder, the difference being a matter of scale, and intensity. Whether he patted you on the ass, or stabbed you long after you're dead, and played with your blood, it's the same motivation, and you're still a victim. I was a victim myself, and guess what, my abuser blamed me, society, and his parents for abusing me. Anyone but himself.

Pirating a game is wrong, maybe not as wrong as Rape, but blaming the company for your lack of impulse control, and self centered greed is antisocial. Grow up, be an adult, and admit your Fraud, or shut up, and suffer in silence. $60 is too much money? How long did any employee work on it for Bethesda? Months, years, longer than you're going to play it? If they'd been payed merely $60 for their trouble, they'd say it wasn't enough. If Bethesda didn't pay them anything, just took their hard work, and published it they'd go straight to court, and sue them for Fraud. You can lie to yourself all you want, as long as you keep it to yourself. Try to lie to me, and I will expose you for it.

Well said Psi.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
Who's fault is it really? The people who pirate it or the people that make it possible to pirate it? If someone was giving out free skyrim games on the street corner which happened to be stolen whose fault is it, the person who takes it or the person who gives it?

Oh, there's another rationale, right up there with "It's a victimless crime." If you buy stolen goods, you are helping support that criminal. If you recieve them for free, you're still an accessory, and legally liable. The law doesn't recognize these distinctions, it's still wrong.

MushroomGenius

Who's fault is it really? The people who pirate it or the people that make it possible to pirate it? If someone was giving out free skyrim games on the street corner which happened to be stolen whose fault is it, the person who takes it or the person who gives it?

The people who pirate it as well as the people that support those who do.

If someone runs a fruit stand with all of their goods out in crates on the street, do you assume that it's okay to steal an apple just because they "made it possible"?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts