• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
I bought the Xbox 360 version initially, back when my laptop was broken.
In June, I got a new laptop and bought the pc version then.

I don't really agree with pirating a game I love so much. I WANT Bethesda to be rewarded for their hard work. I want them to know how awesome they are and to see my appreciation. It wouldn't sit right with me to pirate Skyrim.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
You do... acting like police here, like you never broke a law?

You never cross the street when it was red light? ...don't give me excuses there was no traffic... the law is a law and you broke it.

You see it's easy to be unreasonable.

Nobody is sugar coating... ok maybe some of them, but all of them are saying their own reasons why they did it. It's just a discussion.

But all you see are excuses and then go attacking with guilty and stuff, trying to reeducate... like you can change society. Wake up! The world we live is not the in roses, there are much grave criminal acts in the world than pirating game! Making big deal of it like world will collapse... grown up!

(That is for all, not just for you personally)

I never said I've never broke the law. However, I don't come onto a forum and gloat about how I downloaded something illegally. That's the difference. As I said, when someone comes on here and freely admits they pirated it, they are opening themselves up for ridicule. If they don't want to deal with the backlash, they simply don't post anything.

And it's a discussion where I'm telling them they did something illegal. Seriously, one of them joined up on these forums just to boast about pirating the game. They deserved to be mocked.

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
"I'm a cheap, selfish, miserly bastard who won't pay for anything if possible." Obviously the TS felt plopsty about doing it, and is looking for some sort of "validation" in knowing that there are other turds floating in that toilet.

Panthera

Don Gato
I never said I've never broke the law. However, I don't come onto a forum and gloat about how I downloaded something illegally. That's the difference. As I said, when someone comes on here and freely admits they pirated it, they are opening themselves up for ridicule. If they don't want to deal with the backlash, they simply don't post anything.

And it's a discussion where I'm telling them they did something illegal. Seriously, one of them joined up on these forums just to boast about pirating the game. They deserved to be mocked.

I think people are old enough to now that piracy illegal without telling them. And even if they pirated the game that doesn't mean they can't be helpful to this forum community... after all, having pirate or legit game we all have in common that we enjoy the game. Look just keep forum peaceful and friendly that is all. :)

Jersey Dagmar

I think people are old enough to now that piracy illegal without telling them. And even if they pirated the game that doesn't mean they can't be helpful to this forum community... after all, having pirate or legit game we all have in common that we enjoy the game. Look just keep forum peaceful and friendly that is all. :)

Usually have a pirated version of the game means you won't get the updates, so I don't see how they could be helpful to anyone. Also, as I said, this thread was long forgotten. Until some asshat decided to bump it back to the front page and brag. And are you Mod/Admin or something? I don't have to be friendly to anyone.

Panthera

Don Gato
Usually have a pirated version of the game means you won't get the updates, so I don't see how they could be helpful to anyone. Also, as I said, this thread was long forgotten. Until some asshat decided to bump it back to the front page and brag. And are you Mod/Admin or something? I don't have to be friendly to anyone.
There are updates for Skyrim. No I'm neither of that, I only know Mods and Admins want to keep it that way. :)

Jersey Dagmar

There are updates for Skyrim. No I'm neither of that, I only know Mods and Admins want to keep it that way. :)

Yea, there are updates for Skyrim. But, normally those who pirate the game have difficulty getting them. I had a friend who downloaded it illegally and he couldn't get the updates. Learn to read please.

And me asking if you were a Mod/Admin was a rhetorical question. I know you aren't one. So please, stop acting like one.

Aquillus

I have no respect for those who pirate games. A lot of effort and time goes into creating these games, and the least the community can do is pay for a copy to support the designers and their families. I also believe that those who torrent have absolutely no right to complain about bugs etc, because they never paid to have them fixed to begin with. At least be happy with what you stole.

So to answer the poll, no I didn't. I have never pirated a single game for that matter, and that's why I don't have the most extensive library of titles possible. But I'm perfectly fine with that.

Panthera

Don Gato
Yea, there are updates for Skyrim. But, normally those who pirate the game have difficulty getting them. I had a friend who downloaded it illegally and he couldn't get the updates. Learn to read please.

And me asking if you were a Mod/Admin was a rhetorical question. I know you aren't one. So please, stop acting like one.
Maybe you should take your own advice... Like I sad before I'm neither of them but I know they want to keep it that way.

You remind me of someone... Jersey the Jester or something like that... is that you?

KritikalPT

Honestly, I did when it was launched. Pirated it, tested it on my laptop, saw that it ran pretty well, uninstalled the game and deleted the folders and whatnot, and a few days later bought the game.

Say what you want about pirating the game. The reason I do it is mainly for playing them as a demo, since nowadays it seems like demos are not being made, which is a problem from where I stand. So yes, I'm going to pirate your game and see if it runs good on my computer. If it does and I like the game, I'm going to buy it, if not, well, tough luck, I will uninstall the pirated game, but you won't have me as a costumer.

I was highly suspicious about Skyrim since I knew it was developed for consoles first, and then they ported it for the PC, and the thought of not having PC optimization really bothered me, but it was an Elder Scrolls game. No matter how much I think how Bethesda is making these games crappier and crappier (again, my opinion, if you have a problem, then it's YOUR problem and I don't care), it was still worth a shot, and I liked it enough to buy it.

Now, can we stop raising threads from the dead? This ain't the best place to train Conjuration, you know?
Also, all this arguing make you look like teenagers. How about leaving, each one on seperate ways, and leaving this thread to die in peace?
Sounds good?

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Justifiable or not, if you download the game illegally that is breaking the law. Period! I don't care about your reasons for doing it, you broke the law, no Google around that, and you can't justify it, illegal is illegal.

While I agree with you the fact to the matter is companies like Bethesda pushes people to pirate their games because their too lazy to either put a trial period date on their games to allow people to get a feel for it or release a demo.

How many people do you know would go out and buy a car without taking it out for a test drive? If you know some then I guess I should go into the car selling business, and hope that you will bring these people to my shop.

While you don't care for my reasons for pirating Skyrim the fact is that piracy was on Bethesda side. As I said before I wand up paying for the game including a guidebook, even know I don't need it. I bought it anyways to contribute to the company.

Piracy isn't all that bad if you stop and think about it... For as long as people don't abuse it. If you like it go out and buy it, and that's what I did :)

TJ GORY

Not of this Plane...
pirating the game is wrong no matter how you look at it, if you don't think the game is worth the money then you don't get the game. its morally OK to pirate the game if you bought it on a console but its still legally wrong.

Raijin

pirating the game is wrong no matter how you look at it, if you don't think the game is worth the money then you don't get the game. its morally OK to pirate the game if you bought it on a console but its still legally wrong.

If pirating a game is wrong no matter what then why is it morally OK to pirate the game if you bought it on console? Isn't that double standards? Why would you even say something like that if you're totally against piracy?

Nick_Tbolt

If pirating a game is wrong no matter what then why is it morally OK to pirate the game if you bought it on console? Isn't that double standards? Why would you even say something like that if you're totally against piracy?
Because Morally and Legally are totally different, pirating it illegal, but he is saying that ssome instances it can be morally justifiable but still illegal

HTC ThunderBolt running AOSP!

Raijin

Because Morally and Legally are totally different, pirating it illegal, but he is saying that ssome instances it can be morally justifiable but still illegal

HTC ThunderBolt running AOSP!

Wrong. Piracy is illegal no matter what. Theirs no such thing as mortals in piracy. Either you're a law breaker or a goodie two shoes that would never dream of conducting piracy acts because it's a god forbidden sinful act against the divines in all.

But seriously this is double standards. According to TJ "its morally OK to pirate the game if you bought it on a console" Yet is not mortally OK to pirate the game for the sole purpose to try it out prior to purchasing the game.

While I have no respect for people who pirate games, I think Bethesda could do something that would undercut one of the ‘justifications’. People make the point that there is no way to see if they will like the game, other than buying it. Some companies put out quite extensive but crippled demos (The Combat Mission series are a good example). This gives you a chance to try out much of the mechanics, and a feel for the story before plunking down your money. A demo that allowed you to get to the first dragon kill, but no further should be enough for anyone to decide whether they want to buy it.

Raijin

While I have no respect for people who pirate games, I think Bethesda could do something that would undercut one of the ‘justifications’. People make the point that there is no way to see if they will like the game, other than buying it. Some companies put out quite extensive but crippled demos (The Combat Mission series are a good example). This gives you a chance to try out much of the mechanics, and a feel for the story before plunking down your money. A demo that allowed you to get to the first dragon kill, but no further should be enough for anyone to decide whether they want to buy it.

Exactly. According to No Skyrim demo say Bethesda | PC Gamer

Bethesda have admitted in an interview with Gameplanet that there will not be a demo of Skyrim.

In the video interview found by Eurogamer, producer Craig Lafferty says: “No, we won’t be doing a demo. For a game of this size and complexity it’s really hard to do a demo the represents the game truly. And it would have to be a gigantic demo. So we won’t be doing a demo.”

While I hate having to pirate games technically it isn't my fault. Had I been the CEO of Bethesda I would've made damn sure that all of my potential costumers can get a taste of what Skyrim is before they buy it.... even if I had to hire on an additional script writers that specializes in writing up trials, or blocking certain missions from trials.

You know Bethesda can learn a thing or two from World of Warcraft. Anyone can play W.O.W for up to level 30 if I'm not mistaken. If you want to progress even further you must pay a subscription fee. This is how you get costumers. Let 'em get a taste before they buy. Why would I pirate W.O.W when the company is allowing me to try it out for free?

Remember in the business world the costumers are ALWAYS right no matter what.

If anything Bethesda is just as guilty if not more for selling broken software to people. I don't know how many times I've read (or watch peoples YouTube videos) on forums where people having issues with the game because of glitches and bugs. The true crime is that you can't return the game because of stores policy. Isn't that downright robbery? Yet the goodie two shoes online cops on this board want to shove the law book at us for pirating games to try out before we buy.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts