Defeated First Dragon, Question....

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nogz

I'm pretty sure the claws only work in their respective caves. The problem is that some of the quests that you get from the Greybeards about learning a new shout word are in caves you already been in and you may need the claw again. Even some of the normal quests are in caves you've been before. So I highly suggest that you keep all the claws you get. It might also be a good idea to get back to Riverwood at some point and steal the golden claw. Just in case.

wheato

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the claws only work in their respective caves. The problem is that some of the quests that you get from the Greybeards about learning a new shout word are in caves you already been in and you may need the claw again. Even some of the normal quests are in caves you've been before. So I highly suggest that you keep all the claws you get. It might also be a good idea to get back to Riverwood at some point and steal the golden claw. Just in case.

I did just that, but with the intention of selling it to the woman in Thiefs Guild. I think I'll keep it instead.

eskimoletdinov

Dual Wield Warrior
Well as i said, 1 cave (cant remember which 1) needed both the emerald and ivory claws.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone ever needed the one claw that you retrieve for someone else? That's poorly worded... Has anyone had cause to get that specific claw back from the guy after you return it? I keep all the other ones in my inventory because I come across dungeons that use them often enough.

Garrison

So, I just defeated my first dragon and I picked up the scales and bone that he left behind. I ended up having to leave one set of bone I believe because I couldn't carry it. What is the purpose of the scales and bone that dragons leave behind? are they to sell? or much more important? should I not have left one piece of bone?

Thanks all.

I waited a long while before defeating that first dragon and kicking off the quest line. Up until that point, I hadn't seen a single one. Even the set Dragon shrines were unoccupied. Now they are quite common, and frankly as you level up, not especially challenging. My point being, while the bones and scales are valuable both to sell and as armor components, they are also fairly easy to replenish as well.

Garrison

Since my first dragon kill (the one you kill by order of the Jarl early in the main story), I've not seen anymore dragons at all. Are there specific places they fly around, or do they attack randomly in any area?

That's a bit odd, as their appearance became pretty common after that quest. Maybe hit up one of the Dragon shrine location just to make sure that the game has triggered their appearance following your quest completion.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
Regarding the dragon claws, I know three of the claws are used for one specific quest - which involves visiting at least four different caves/ruins.

[WARNING - SPOILER AHEAD]
It's the Amulet of Gaaldur questline. The Gold one gets you into Saarthal but you have to give it back to the guy in Riverwood; the other ones both get you into their respective caves AND are used to get into the last cave.
[/SPOILER]

sweet thanksss......yeah im a ton off of 100 smithing also, but iron daggers seems like a legit move to improve smithing. Does every dragon give off bones and scales?

Go to whiterun and buy leather, leather strips and iron ingots from blacksmith (first building to the right when you enter). Then go to skyforge (blacksmith also in whiterun) and buy more leather...etc. Wait 3 days and repeat process. When you can't carry any more then go and forge the iron daggers and watch your smithing level climb pretty fast. You can drop all the daggers you made as they will weigh you down. Repeat this process until smithing is 100.

I did this in whiterun because their are two blacksmiths and it was quicker (took about 1 and a half hours and a few thousand gold) However, the ability to make legendary armor is worth it. Hope this helps some of you guys and gals!

brandon

I'd like to recommend NOT grinding smithing (or any other skill(besides speech, lol)) for several reasons. The big reason is at a low level grinding will increase your level by quite a bit, and enemies level with you. Basically, you have 100 in five skills, 25 in two-handed, and 30 in heavy armor, but your level is 40. You obviously will be underpowered against a level 40 enemy.
no way dude i did my smithing by killing a bunch of bears wolves and any other furry animals i could find. i had legendary dragonscale when i was in the low 20s. and now that im 41 i had my first fight in a longtime that almost took half my healh cause i was effing around with a master mage and a couple lower level mages. it felt good to lose that much health again.

brandon

Regarding the dragon claws, I know three of the claws are used for one specific quest - which involves visiting at least four different caves/ruins.

[WARNING - SPOILER AHEAD]
It's the Amulet of Gaaldur questline. The Gold one gets you into Saarthal but you have to give it back to the guy in Riverwood; the other ones both get you into their respective caves AND are used to get into the last cave.
[/SPOILER]
what if youve already been through saarthal and gotten the amulet. but it didnt come up with a quest in my list either. only reason i knew it was a quest is bc i tried to sell it.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
You need to find out about the legend elsewhere before you can pursue the rest of the pieces...

[WARNING - SPOILER AHEAD] Look for the book 'Lost Legends'. [/SPOILER]

RGKID144

You probably didn't highlighted the quest. Here, it will be easy to explain:

For the normal quests you just mark it with a click and an arrow will appear in the quest menu ( as shown in the red circle ) and you should also have a quest mark. Unless you have to read something like a letter or note or book and so on.

For the misc quests you have to have to click on the misc so an arrow appears and you also have to click on the quest you want to do so you have a quest mark on your map ( as shown in the green circles ). But be aware some quests are bugged as of now if something is wrong check with google the name of the quest and you should find if the quest is one of the bugged or something is wrong on your end.

So i finally found the owner of the Golden Claw, but I guess it was one of those bugged quests? It was able to highlight the main quest, but no arrow would show up for it on the game map. I think this may have been because i had moved on past that point in the main quest so the game was incapable of showing me that quest's path? not sure, but thanks again for the help!

RGKID144

O yeah, and one more thing, I literally played for 4 and a half hours night, accomplishing barely anything in the main quest, moving on to a million side quests, opening up new landscapes etc...etc.....its unbelievable how easily you get lost in this game, and how entrenched you get in the music characters, abilities etc......game is so awesome.

wheato

Premium Member
O yeah, and one more thing, I literally played for 4 and a half hours night, accomplishing barely anything in the main quest, moving on to a million side quests, opening up new landscapes etc...etc.....its unbelievable how easily you get lost in this game, and how entrenched you get in the music characters, abilities etc......game is so awesome.

The gaming World is so immersive, that it's hard not to get carried away just doing random things once you load the game up. I love how you're never short of stuff to do, and the side-quests are as well thought out and fun as the main quests.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I've spent hours just rearranging inventory between houses...

To make me feel better, my daughter then spent hours on Oblivion trying to put potion bottles in buckets.

"Look, Mom! They jiggle!"

RGKID144

The gaming World is so immersive, that it's hard not to get carried away just doing random things once you load the game up. I love how you're never short of stuff to do, and the side-quests are as well thought out and fun as the main quests.
Definitely.....its wild just roaming around and finding new areas, demons, creatures, friends etc......And your always leveling up which is great.

LordTalos

I throw my dragon pieces away because of the weight. I'm level 50 with some max levels so money is not a problem I think I have around 30k in gold at the moment. I search high and low

wheato

Premium Member
I throw my dragon pieces away because of the weight. I'm level 50 with some max levels so money is not a problem I think I have around 30k in gold at the moment. I search high and low

Do you do anything like smithing to get your cash, or does it just come easier at lvl 50? I'm on lvl 11 right now, and although I do get a fair bit of money from pickpocketing, questing, and stealing, I could do with making more.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts