Defeated First Dragon, Question....

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

RGKID144

So, I just defeated my first dragon and I picked up the scales and bone that he left behind. I ended up having to leave one set of bone I believe because I couldn't carry it. What is the purpose of the scales and bone that dragons leave behind? are they to sell? or much more important? should I not have left one piece of bone?

Thanks all.

nogz

You can sell them, they cost a lot of septims. Or you can level up your smithing to 100 and you will be able to make Dragon Armor, light and heavy.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
What they said. I usually just offload them onto my henchman and forget about them - I'm miles off 100 smithing. :)

nogz

You can reach 100 smithing easily. Don't know if it is a bug or intended but iron daggers cost basically nothing and give a ton of smithing exp. Something like 50 iron daggers gives you like 20-30 points in smithing.

RGKID144

You can reach 100 smithing easily. Don't know if it is a bug or intended but iron daggers cost basically nothing and give a ton of smithing exp. Something like 50 iron daggers gives you like 20-30 points in smithing.
sweet thanksss......yeah im a ton off of 100 smithing also, but iron daggers seems like a legit move to improve smithing. Does every dragon give off bones and scales?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Every dragon I've killed has both the bones and scales. And usually coins.

wheato

Premium Member
Since my first dragon kill (the one you kill by order of the Jarl early in the main story), I've not seen anymore dragons at all. Are there specific places they fly around, or do they attack randomly in any area?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, there are some specific locations you learn about. I think some are just random. How far into the game are you? Without spoiling, can you tell me where in the mainline quest you are? I have noticed a definite increase as I've played in the amount of dragon encounters I've had.

Dzylon

I'd like to recommend NOT grinding smithing (or any other skill(besides speech, lol)) for several reasons. The big reason is at a low level grinding will increase your level by quite a bit, and enemies level with you. Basically, you have 100 in five skills, 25 in two-handed, and 30 in heavy armor, but your level is 40. You obviously will be underpowered against a level 40 enemy.

wheato

Premium Member
In the main story, I'm only a couple of quests past the one where you first battle a dragon. I've mainly been doing other stuff like exploring and smaller quests along the way.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I think the dragon occurrences may ramp up as you move a bit further into the main quest. At least, it followed this trend with me. Now, almost every time I fast travel, I hear the rumble overhead. I'm not sure how far into the main quest I am (I've been avoiding spoilers about it) but I visited the crazy scholar as my last main storyline quest.

nogz

I'd like to recommend NOT grinding smithing (or any other skill(besides speech, lol)) for several reasons. The big reason is at a low level grinding will increase your level by quite a bit, and enemies level with you. Basically, you have 100 in five skills, 25 in two-handed, and 30 in heavy armor, but your level is 40. You obviously will be underpowered against a level 40 enemy.

That's "balanced" by the fact that weapons and armor made with smithing are incredibly OP and at low difficulty levels you are basically one-clicking and OHK your way to victory. Once I hit 100 in smithing I changed the difficulty level from expert to master cos it was pointless playing otherwise. I think they need to change somehow the smithing. Maybe not leveling so fast or taking more materials to make the good stuff or something. The game is way too easy once you make ebony or daedring armor/weapons. ( at least daedric armor/weapons is harder to make )

Mehoe123

I am 100 in smithing plan on making a full set of Dragon Scale armor just to level up light armor. Don't need Dragon Plate armor got a full set of Daedric legendary status. :)

eskimoletdinov

Dual Wield Warrior
Since my first dragon kill (the one you kill by order of the Jarl early in the main story), I've not seen anymore dragons at all. Are there specific places they fly around, or do they attack randomly in any area?
You seem to find more and more as you go through the game, im 100 hours in and seem to come across them at most towns when fast travelling and pretty regularly just roaming around the lands.

You also found them guarding Thu'um walls.

Dragons drop dragon scales, dragon bones, X amount of gold and maybe a few arrows too. the number of bones and scales vary but the most ive seen a dragon drop so far is 3 of each. Hope this helps.

RGKID144

Awesome. I appreciate the help as always people. One more question. So, In Bleak Falls Barrow, I found the golden claw, escaped the cave and whatnot, but it says I need to return the golden claw to someone. So I went into my quests, and when I highlight that specific quest, it wont show up as a triangle to follow on my on screen map......so I have no idea where to go for this. Any advice?

nogz

You have to return the golden claw to the general trader in Riverwood.

nogz

You probably didn't highlighted the quest. Here, it will be easy to explain:

For the normal quests you just mark it with a click and an arrow will appear in the quest menu ( as shown in the red circle ) and you should also have a quest mark. Unless you have to read something like a letter or note or book and so on.

For the misc quests you have to have to click on the misc so an arrow appears and you also have to click on the quest you want to do so you have a quest mark on your map ( as shown in the green circles ). But be aware some quests are bugged as of now if something is wrong check with google the name of the quest and you should find if the quest is one of the bugged or something is wrong on your end.

eskimoletdinov

Dual Wield Warrior
A warning regarding some Claws. I dont think it includes the Golden Claw for the above quest but some other claws work in more than one cave so be careful not to sell them as im not sure if you could buy them back.

although, i have gotta say ive only found 2 caves that have needed to use a claw from another cave, one of those had 2 different claw doors in the one cave.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts