Dawnguard Crossbow Glitch

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

miked86

I've just installed Dawnguard and have been having trouble with the crossbows. After following some of the advice in [this]([Dawnguard DLC] Crossbow Questions ? - The Nexus Forums) thread, I've been able to get the crossbow to work for myself, usually. Sometimes I'll have to equip it, un-equip it, then re-equip it for it to work right. However I cannot use the crossbow in third person (no big deal really) or while sneaking. Every time I've tried to fire it while sneaking it will jump to an animation scene, but instead of firing in slow-mo, all my character does is stand there. When the animation is over the crossbow is unequipped.

I haven't seen any NPC's able to fire the crossbow either. The only instance I've seen is where Isran gives the farmboy (forgot his name) a crossbow and he expects both of you to test it out. I finally got mine working, but farmboy just stands around holding the crossbow by the end in an unarmed fighting stance. I haven't played much farther than that to see if other NPC's are having that problem to keep from ruining the story/making it difficult to use for myself (I sneak a lot).

I'm not using any mods either.

rowynyew

For third person, and from the forum you mentioned, I did this and it worked.

1) FNIS (RE-)INSTALLATION fix (should work in most cases):
- remove data/meshes/actors/character/behaviors/mt_behavior.hkx
- (re-)install Fore's New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS. Make sure GenerateFNISforUsers.exe is run
FNIS will overwrite the most common cause of animation glitches (due to old defaultmale.hkx, and defaultfemale.hkx)

2) BEHAVIOR CLEAN-UP:
delete the following files, or move them to a different folder:
- data/meshes/actors/character/*.hkx
- data/meshes/actors/character/behaviors/*.hkx
- data/meshes/actors/character/characters/defaultmale.hkx
- data/meshes/actors/character/characters female/defaultfemale.hkx
Now of course all animation mods which need behavior files need to be re-installed

Actual parts I did:
I did the FNIS part as stated. I did not use the mod before I saw this fix but though I would give it a try.
Then removed the other files as mentioned. the * means to take all the .hkx files out of that folder.

I had no other behavoir mods so did not have to do anything else. Also taking from the next post in that forum I was able to fix the use in 1st person by doing this.
- Data\meshes\actors\character\_1stperson\behaviors\*.hkx
- Data\meshes\actors\character\_1stperson\characters\*.hkx

I unequipped, re-equipped and have not had trouble since then.

I do not use sneak often so don't know if there is an issue for me or not. Hope this helps.

Lukerem

I literally made an account for this forum cuz I saw this solution and it frikken worked. I was giggling in my seat to see my guy not do that weird standing thing when he pulls out the crossbow. It even fixed my mounted combat glitch which I was willing to live with anyway. I just wanted to say you're awesome rowynyew!!!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts