• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

VonCrown

Well, I imagine it'd be mostly like an archery build, right? I'd go light armor and take Custom Fit, Unhindered, and Wind Walker. More stamina regen means more zoom use. Stealth->Backstab->Deadly Aim might be worth considering (Also possibly Assassin's Blade, always a pretty nice perk)

If you are gonna stick with heavy armor, I would recommend Conditioning. I know it's a heavy investment to get fists of steel and cushioned, which are a bit on the meh side, but if you want to focus on crossbows you'll want to stay light on your feet. Arguably even more so than a normal archer. I really would just go light armor though, you spend less perks on it, more of which are useful, -and- you spend less perks getting to dragon smithing. And there's always dragon scale armor.

Other grab-bag things to consider-
Respite and some investment into restoration magic. This might be good, more so if you go heavy armor and can't get Wind Walker. Stamina + even more tankeyness. Yum.

Alchemy, with a focus on making poisons. Crossbows are slower to shoot, everything that makes your shots count more is your friend (I assume, PC here so I've yet to get my hands on one. I'm theorycrafting here)

Conjuration- An all-around useful school of magic if you want to give your enemies something else to think about while you stay back and pew pew at them. The Summoner perk lets you drop your buddies farther away so you can start a fight with more distance.

Just my 2 cents, will edit if I think of anything else.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
first off if you want to use the crossbow as a primary weapon you should go heavy armor for the fact that all crossbows require the smithing perk on the heavy armor side, plus to make the bolts u need the heavy armor smithing side just my 2 cents though

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
You will only need 2 of the perks on the heavy Armour smithing side to make the crossbow and the bolts, and one of them (steel) is needed regardless of what side you choose.

I am currently doing the dawnguard quest line using mainly crossbows. I went with Light Armour, so you can move quicker and quieter. I would also go into sneak, up to the deadly aim perk. Really useful.

One or two of the magic schools would also work well. I went with Restoration and Destruction as i don't plan on investing too many perks into them, but illusion or conjuration could be just as good.

I also did one handed, for the Dawnguard war axe as, for me at least, no matter how careful and sneaky i am, there are some times when you can't avoid a close quarters fight, and there is almost nothing worse than the crossbow for this. (although, if you keep spamming bash while you are reloading, you will bash the enemy with the crossbow and do the same amount of damage as firing a bolt would do, you still have the bolt loaded and it gets your archery skill up).

So my character switches between having a crossbow, and either a healing, sun damage spell or flames in the left hand, with a war axe in the right. Seems to be working ok for me so far.

I've been using the Crossbow for Sneak Shots, and otherwise conserving Bolts with my Imperial Bow (Superior.) Seems kind of over-kill to shoot a fox with a bolt, you know? I went Light Armor, for Sneak, but what Perks do you need for Improved crossbows, Dwarven? Heavy Armor seems like a worse fit to me, but then, I'm using an Imperial Light Shield, and Skyforge Hatchet, instead of the Dawnguard one.

^ Yes, the "Best" Crossbow requires the Dwarven Perk
That's what I thought, so you can just get Dwarven Smithing, and otherwise run up the Light side all the way to Dragon. Just as many perks as going all heavy, but you can Sneak, and use Windwalker. I hear a Daedric Bow is more powerful, and I know it shoots faster, but this is a Crossbow build, and if you take them out with 1 shot, then being more powerful doesn't make them any deader. I'd qualify Deadly Aim as vital to this build, and therefore Light Armor as well...

Panthera

Don Gato
My first goal would be this build. After that my next goal would be to add this perks into the build. Later on what ever you feel you need. The reason why I would keep the heavy armor is because somewhat for RP reasons. Crossbows in reality needed longer to draw, so you would be vulnerable in light armor. Even though game does make it faster. Another reason is heavy Dawnguard armor looks better with crossbow than the light armor. Actually I would wear only armors which are tempered with steel ingots... If you ask me those armors fit well with crossbow on the back. And you can save perks not wasting it on blacksmith.

True steel armors are the weakest of the heavy armors but here comes enchanting in. With it and with 100 skill in blacksmith + steel perk, you can raise armor rating above legendary. Plus you will not be overpowered, but still have decent protection. The same goes for improwing weapons.

I would enchant crossbow with a paralyze with 3 seconds duration and soul trap for 1 second. Paralyze will consume a lot of power so the best way is to have Azura's black star so you can recharge your crossbow. That's why I suggest soul trap.

Also I would enchant apparel with 4 pieces of 25% fortify archery and what is possible to enchant with magic resistance.

I mostly prefer Light Armor for the Mobility, but I also wear the Gauntlets of the Old Gods, and Linwe's Hood. I already had the Archer build with that outfit, and the 45% additional damage makes up for not being able to Smith it up as high as a Bow. Instead of depending on my armor to Tank, I use the reloading animation, which is automatic, to maneuver in between shots. You can't do that with a Bow. S\For Shoot, and Scoot tactics, this makes a Crossbow a better choice, by taking advantage of this. Since it's not a stand, and fight strategy, DPS is not as critical. Since you can Improve Light Armor up to the cap, and this is a Smithning build, the on;ly difference besides looks are Stagger Resistance, and Stamina Recovery. I'm not going to argue the relative looks of the Armor, I like the Savor's Hide, GotOG, Linwe's Hood, and Dawnguard Boots at the moment. (Before that, it was Stormcloak Officer's Boots, I'll probably upgrade them later as I find something better.)

Personal preferances, but the above are my reasons for chosing Light.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I do prefer 100% light armor but I do keep an enhanced darwen crossbow in my inventory just to kill vampires while sneaking. To be honest, my dragonbone bow enchanted with absorb health + chaos is much better than the crossbow, but I like the effect of the explosives bows, shock and frost capabilities but keep me in mind that if you have the CHAOS enchantment added to your bow, you DO NOT really need those especial bolts. The Chaos effect will do the same and the dragonbone bow is much better and cause more damage than a crossbow.
Also, I would love to have the effect the Zephyr bow give you : 30% faster reloading .... it would be very nice to disenchant this bow and apply it to your own bow but unfortunately that is not possible. I also like the Black Darwen Bow that you get in Dragonborn but it is not that powerful as you own enchanted bow with chaos.
The only reason I am keeping ( for now ) the enhanced darwen crossbow is bc I do not have the CHAOS effect yet. I am replaying Skyrim and I am doing Dawnguard and Skyrim first before Dragonborn but I played it the other way around before and the Chaos effect is superb and in my opinion it is much better overall than those crossbow bolts.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts