Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Paigethegamer

Here to burn down buildings
I went with both, finished both but found myself enjoying the Thieves Guild quest line more then the Dark Brotherhood. I also hate most of the Dark brotherhood members, especially Astrid and Cicero (he's funny at times though).

lordeisenburgh

Lord Gottfried Eisenburgh
Cicero and Babette are the only ones from the dark brotherhood I like. Astrid ruined dark brotherhood for me with her "I am queen assassin. Obey me or my wolf lover will kill you" attitude.

Storm777

Thieves Guild was way more fun for me. I enjoyed the TG characters a lot more as well. Brynjolf is a pretty sly character and I loved his line about Falmer during the quest.

UndeadDollface

Professional Corpse
I like the characters from the Thieves Guild more than the Dark Brotherhood (the only DB character I liked was Nazir and that was only because his voice actor was also Three-Dog from Fallout 3). However, in terms of story and quests I preferred the Dark Brotherhood. Ultimately I found assassinating an Emperor a lot more exciting than messing around with Nocturne (One of the less interesting Daedric Princes imo).

Paigethegamer

Here to burn down buildings
Ultimately I found assassinating an Emperor a lot more exciting than messing around with Nocturne (One of the less interesting Daedric Princes imo).

That was the only quest I liked from the Dark Brotherhood. I agree with you about Nocturne but the amour you get is pretty good if you're a sneak/thief/archer build

Serebro Moniker

He who moves it moves it
I'd love to say Brotherhood, I really would, but when I play the Thieves' Guild questline I feel like it's the only one that's completely finished :/

mamali

Thieves' Guild 's questline was so fun , specially the last missions with karliah and the other guy . dark brotherhood questline was also great but i think thieves guild was better .
about the members , thives guild guys were so much better , i mean really , Cicero was a disaster :p i killed him when i had the chance

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Dark Brotherhood. In the Elder Scrolls world, they are my family. I don't understand all the hate they get, mainly Cicero. The only thing I wished I could have been able to do was rebuild the Brotherhood, restore the Black Hand. Recruit Speakers, Silencers, basically all the ranks that were introduced in Oblivion. In reality, the Listener isn't the one who is supposed to be going out and killing people.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I lean more toward the Dark Brotherhood because of there "family" dynamic and the story that's told in the questline. It's a simple one, but with a couple of twists and turns. All the outcasts are huddled under one roof, living happily and whatnot. My vampire fit in perfectly for the first time. Plus, the emotions I felt when the Sanctuary was being over run and destroyed are still fresh. For some reason, the DB questline really got to me. Enjoyed it the most.

sticky runes

Dark Brotherood would be better if Astrid didn't turn out to be such a dick and get her husband and followers killed. I was just starting to like those guys, and I would like to have taken them as followers on other quests and random wanderings. The new recruits you get when you take over the Dawn Star sanctuary don't even have names and backstories.

Serebro Moniker

He who moves it moves it
The thing about the DB questline is that so much more could have been done with them.
You've got a new Sanctuary, a new Listener, two new members, and endless flow of contracts, and then... nothing. Why can't we rebuild the Brotherhood? Break into prisons and free some murderers from jail to recruit them, accept contracts on Nazeem and Heimskr among others, hunt for more lost Sanctuaries across Skyrim, take revenge on the entire Penitus Oculatus, finally respond to Maven Black-Briar's Black Sacrament, help train the new recruits and send them on missons...
There is a ridiculous amount of things Bethesda could have done. So many missed opportunities.

Serebro Moniker

He who moves it moves it
but the thieves guild has an ex member of the dark brotherhood, who is also a master obtainer of items, and someone else whose ex morag tong
Delvin has ties to the Brotherhood, but he's not an ex-member as far as I'm aware. And who's ex-Morag Tong?

I hated ass-dread *ahem* Astrid and Cicero so much. Astrid was a stubborn bitch, and Cicero was just annoying, creepy, and not even funny. I liked the others, though.

Oh, and Brotherhood > Guild, IMO. I really liked the Brotherhood storyline, but the Guild's gameplay was awesome. I kind of liked the assassin thing more than just sneaking, though. Do you have any idea how hard it is not to kill people?

SprSynJn

I just killed the leader of the Dark Brotherhood and have no intention of joining the Thieves Guild. Am I missing out?

Docta Corvina

I'll admit I'm biased, in that I've only fully completed the Thieves Guild questline. With the Brotherhood, I started it in my first file ever, then quickly stopped because I wasn't enjoying it and also wanted to play a more "lawful good" type character. The joke's on me, however, since she wound up becoming a vampire and has since effectively joined the Volkihar clan. But that aside...

I find that I love the Thieves Guild characters a hell of a lot more. Several of them are among my game-wide favorites (ie. Brynjolf, Mercer, Rune, etc.) and I've had fun with the missions. When I play as my main character, my Legionnaire/thief character, the way I RP her, she's definitely more of a Robin Hood-esque type who's only really involved with the Guild for information for a much more personal quest that brought her to Skyrim in the first place. I've just had much more fun with it overall.

I suppose that if I ever roll a more shady or devil-may-care character, I'll give the DB a proper playthrough. But as it stands, the only characters I like from that group are Nazir and ghostly Lucien, the latter whom I have rendered no longer spectral and a follower via the Creation Kit. ;) I think that the DB will suit me much better in Oblivion rather than Skyrim and the TG will likely remain my favorite questline, in addition to the Imperial Legion.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts