• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

qoncept

I've never liked RPGs and I've always felt like I've been missing out on some great games. I've been playing games for 25 years and I'll try an RPG every once in a great while but nothing ever stuck.

My favorite games aren't even close to RPGs. Doom (1 and 2, not 3), Unreal Tournament, GTA, Red Baron (from WAY back in the day), sports games, racing games. Most recently the Left 4 Dead games have been a lot of fun. I think the closest game to an RPG I've ever cared much for is Metroid.

Tell me why I would like Skyrim. I want to give it a chance but without some convincing there's no way I'd pay retail for it.

Skyrimosity

As a fellow member on this forum who's yet to get Skyrim ( I'm getting it tomorrow), I used to share your view. But what really convinced me is really just going AGAINST the common ways of games. Used to, 10 hours of story I thought it was long. When I read about this game, you can play 100 hours of story and not be close to finished, just really convinced me this was a game worth getting. The fact you can make SO many different characters and character types is amazing as well. So, this is probably not the post you wanna see, someone who hasn't got Skyrim, but I thought I'd tell you why I personally decided this game was a must-get.

SeaDog

Tell you what. Save your money. At least save $60. Go find a used copy of Morrowind or Oblivion for $10 or $20 bucks. Play the heck out of it/them. If you really decide you like it, THEN go spend your $60 bucks on Skyrim. You won't be disappointed. But at least if you decide that this type of game is still not for you, then you only wasted 10 bucks instead of 60.

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
Tell you what. Save your money. At least save $60. Go find a used copy of Morrowind or Oblivion for $10 or $20 bucks. Play the heck out of it/them. If you really decide you like it, THEN go spend your $60 bucks on Skyrim. You won't be disappointed. But at least if you decide that this type of game is still not for you, then you only wasted 10 bucks instead of 60.
lol, there's no way Skyrim would still be $60 if he played through those games. Maybe for the game of the year edition 18 months from now when he's done with those.
OP, to be honest, it's no skin off my back if you don't buy it. I'm not going to waste words trying to sell it.

Jaeger

Well, it's just doom, unreal with choice on how to go with the character. Pound for pound you can't play a dark elf assassin like an Orc basher. So instead of just buying one game, you're getting infinity games (ten races, tennish builds -warrior, rogue, assassin, Mage, spell sword, etc).

Doom and unreal are linear. A maze. Skyrim is open sandbox. You're a little kid playing with dump trucks in a walled up space. Which with the Cryodil and Morrowind DLC...WEEEE!!! Does Skyrim take the war to the Imperials...and then on to the Vallenwood and Summerset Isles? With ships? Inquiring minds wants to play SKYRIM!!!

Now, the games you mentioned had modern or future guns and these are medieval and magic... Are you going to expand your mind to new concepts?

qoncept

I do like sand box types of games (I mentioned GTA above). I've never really been in to magic and fantasy but honestly the setting/theme isn't all that important to me. I liked Warcraft as much as Starcraft.

One big setback is the time I have. I probably won't play anything more than maybe 5 hours a week.

I think buying Oblivion is probably the answer. I'll try it out and if I still end up hating RPGs I'll just be out 10 bucks.

Titus

To be honest 5 hours a week will really limit how much I can recommend this game for you. The game is immensely long if you play it to its fullest, but with that amount of time I would guess you may get bored and just finish the main quest and it would leave a sour taste in your mouth.

With that being said, and this coming from a full time worker with family and kids and a life outside of Skyrim I think you will have a hard time only playing for 5 hours a week. I think my friends would have filed missing reports if they were not also in touch with my GF. I have totally neglected my social life and even regrettable my work life on some days, don't worry I have paid time off, but yes it is sick to miss work for a game but what can you do. If it were not for my 14 month old I would probably never leave Skyrim. So outside of work (most of the time) and my child there is only skyrim to fill my time.

As a back story I am not a huge RPG fan but action RPG is great. I did love oblivion and also played morrowind but did not devote the time enough to get into that. Looking at your ideal or favorite games to play it would seem that you have a need or want or are only available to play in short spurts for a quick reward. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just the impression I get from what you have listed. I think it would be possible but not ideal to get that same experience from Skryim or a game like it. Plus if you do like it you may have to start coming up with excuses for why you are missing the big game day party, bar hoping, sleeping in bed at the same time with your wife/gf/significant other and let me tell you those excuses especially for the last one are hard to come by. That is unless you are lucky enough to be with someone that enjoys playing/watching you play games.

End nerd rant

p.s. buy the game if you think you can play it longer then 5 hours a week

Tiddleykong

Craft-Master cat man Lae Rashea
Me AND my gf that doesn't play games (like we do) play it like it like its our jobs...... and it isn't. I have over 225 hours she has somewhere around 175

Verac

If you dont like medieval, fantasy themed RPG games dont get it. nuff said. besides the games overly glitched to hell anyway and bethesda isnt fixing jack squat.

Stone

Retired Moderator
Bethesda made it.

It won game of the year.

"nuff-said"

Tiddleykong

HAHAHAH
If you dont like medieval, fantasy themed RPG games dont get it. nuff said. besides the games overly glitched to hell anyway and bethesda isnt fixing jack squat.

HAHAHAHA what a sad sack of **** it isn't a generic medieval RPG in any small way. This clown obviously doesn't know the storyline. And also if it is "overly glitched" how come my character with 200 hours playing time hasn't encountered one annoying glitch yet... just funny mistakes

jramey

go rent it first. im definitely not an rgp kinda guy either and this is the first rpgish kinda game ive actually broke down and bought. with that being said, this game is definitely one of the best games ive ever played, there is just so much in the game to do. i think the biggest thing that sets this game apart from the rest is just how many features it has, from charater customization to a endless flow of quest, to a world thats so diverse and beautiful to roam around, unlike gta you dont have to do a bunch of missions to finally get to the other parts of the world. just get on youtube and watch some gameplay videos of it

Verac

HAHAHAH

HAHAHAHA what a sad sack of **** it isn't a generic medieval RPG in any small way. This clown obviously doesn't know the storyline. And also if it is "overly glitched" how come my character with 200 hours playing time hasn't encountered one annoying glitch yet... just funny mistakes
Obvious troll is obvious, i have played all that the game has to offer Dark brotherhood quests...everything...and the fact you dont know the glitchs shows how much of an idiot you are for not noticing them but i know this is most likely a troll post so i wont bother argueing.

Titus

HAHAHAH

I am a huge fanboy, but even I can admit that the game has alot of glitches. I have not experienced any of the game ending or quest ending glitches, but there are too many people having the issues for me to simply dismiss it as it has not happened for me. As short sided as the response you replied to may have been you can not be this blind or unempathetic with others to dismiss the problems. I am glad that there is at least one other user that has had no big issues, but you have to admitt the patch to remove magic resistance got you at least, or maybe you play off line and never got it.

Tiddleykong

I have over 225 hours playing I have done literally every quest except misc. I know bout white phial glitch, cowl glitch, werewolf glitch, and all the weird companion stuff, but I still haven't once been bothered. So simply turn down the suck and get over it

Verac

I have over 225 hours playing I have done literally every quest except misc. I know bout white phial glitch, cowl glitch, werewolf glitch, and all the weird companion stuff, but I still haven't once been bothered. So simply turn down the suck and get over it
Point is troll-lord is that some others are bothered but my problem is Bethesdas lack of initiative to actually fix it i bet they're working solely on DLC which im guessing is going to be just as glitchy. you can wail and gnash your teeth all you want but new vegas is a prime shining example of bethesdas "hard work" *sarcasm*

Skyrimosity

Don't you think your overreacting? I mean really. A whole game world that has its own history and amazing details and your honestly going to say it's overly glitched with just a FEW glitches here and there.

Tiddleykong

New Vegas isn't TES, but seriously forums are for people to state their opinions quit your sad replies please

Verac

New Vegas isn't TES, but seriously forums are for people to state their opinions quit your sad replies please
New vegas was made by the same people and suffers nearly the same glitchs as new vegas, and seriously are you even old enough to play games? who am i kidding? parents these days are irresponsible and let children play whatever they want and go wherever they want and annoy whoever they want. i bet you were a mistaken birth to....it would be sad if it Wasn't funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.