Conjuration based build help

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ryokozan

Recently i had the idea to make a character that used atronachs to tank while he picks off enemies with a bound bow, Do you think this could work? What armour should i use if any?

Recently i had the idea to make a character that used atronachs to tank while he picks off enemies with a bound bow, Do you think this could work? What armour should i use if any?
Oh yeah, works great. You want Atromancy ASAP, so the duration is the same as your weapon. When the Atro times out, you know your bow is next, but when that disappears, the spell in your other hand comes back, so recast, recast, and go back to fighting. then, the only reason you have to sheathe is if it gets killed early. Stock up on Potions, maybe even use alchemy for healing, and poisons, so you don't have to use your hands for it. Once you get up to Dremora Lord, or Thralls, and Twin Souls, it's pretty unstoppable. With just 2-3 skills, (none of them all that perk intensive compared with hand weapons, and Restoration) you can even do it at fairly low level. I don't suggest Alteration, though, because even with Stability, the Armor spells only last a minute, and a half. Better pick between light, or heavy armor, unless you're good at not getting hit.

Ryokozan

im thinking of going with light armour and should i use a normal bow until my conjuration hits 50 or spam cast bound sword until 50?

A variation I've used is a Spellsword with Bound Sword, so I can also juggle _flesh spells. Works good on a Redguard. Were you thinking Altmer, or Breton? The former only needs a Novice Hood to cast the bow (which you can get free in Fort Amol Prison) while the latter fills out all the requisite pers about 1 level lower.

im thinking of going with light armour and should i use a normal bow until my conjuration hits 50 or spam cast bound sword until 50?
No, just use an Altmer, and a Mage Hood. Work up Archery First, the Atronachs when you have the perks, and magicka to cast both. You start with 20 Conjuration, and 15 Archery anyway, so you need to even it up to start. You may find that with Light Armor, you won't get hit enough to earn much experience in it. it's basically just a backup, so you can take a few arrows, but not have to invest in Health over Magicka the first few levels.

Ryokozan

but dont you need 50 conjuration to buy the bound bow spell tome? and i was thinking breton because of the 25% resist magic and ive never made a breton before

Go to Fort Amol Prison. Kill the two mages therein (you may need a real bow for this.) In left rear corner, next to a bookshelf is a bucket with a lamp in it. Under the lamp is a Spellbook: Bound Bow. Go out, around the pond to Lost Knife Hideout, and get some practice. Throw away your old bow, or hang onto it, in case you get screwed for Magicka.

thanks ive already started with a breton should i restart and use an Altmer?
If you like, the nice thing about Breton is Spell Absorbtion, which eats your Atronachs. Altmer run faster, and can cast Bound Bow at level 1 with nothing but a Novice Hood you can get out of the cage in the Helgen Dungeoun. Also, Highborn really helps if you get Magicka screwed, like you just cast a Flame Atronach, and have to wait to cast your bow. So, up to you, how quick do you want that bow? By level 2, it's 48 damage with Mystic binding. I concider it THE Disk 1 Nuke in Skyrim.

Light Armor is a good plan, because there's lots of it to Fortify Archery. I'd run to Krosis next, because that's also a lot of Armor rating, especially this early in the game. Stack up some Magic Resistance, or swing by the Atronach Stone while you're in the area. Make sure you kill the Dragon before you wake up mr. grouchy, though. It can be tough to take them both on at once. Hide behind the rubble until he shoots a fireball, straffe out quick for a shot, and duck back before he fires off another. You can do this all day, and he doesn't Heal.

Then, I'd go get the Lord, so you can actually cast Atronachs, and make up for not being born Breton. After that, do either the Thieves' Guild, or Dark Brotherhood, because both have hoods that give you 35%, and head for Markarth for the Gauntlets of the Old Gods, which is another 20% None of these can be disenchanted (Linwe's hood can, but there's nothing you can put it on, so don't waste it) but they should last you until you find a necklace, or circlet you Can disenchant. I'd say DBH, because you wind up going to Markarth anyway, and you can pick up Miuri's Ring while you're there.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I would restart with Altmer personally, but Breton can do it just as well but won't be able to do so as early on. The best build in my opinion for this type of concept is this: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!
Huh, I went a little higher, but left some stuff out:
Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!
It'll take you forever just to get to 60 in Light Armor, but Wind Walker is nice. Like I said, it's a backup. Either Conjuration, or Archery are good at keeping you from being attacked as much, alone. Combined, you'll probably have to intentionally tank some for XP. Stealth just for Deadly Aim, crouch long enough for the multiplier, otherwise stay on your toes. Nice opener, though. Alchemy, because Restoration won't work with Bound Bow fast enough to reliably save your life, and a splash of Enchant for high levels. You shouldn't need any more than this for the rest of the game.

Oh, and a word about Flame Thrall. 1 thing that rocks about this build is the warning you get when your summon/s time out. That tells you your bow is next, because you cast first one, then the other. Handy for not getting caught with your pants down. Also, Atronachs die, not a lot, but the semi-permanency of the Thrall Spells are tempered by having to stop, and spend spend 3 seconds doing nothing but recasting. Then pull your bound bow spell, "Who Hah!" then go back to shooting. This takes a while. Plain old Atronach, or Dremora lord pops right back to hand when you sheathe your bow, or it times out. Recast, recast, takes a little over a second, or less than half the time it takes just to cast Flame Thrall. A lot less Magicka too, so you can afford more Health, or stamina.

Squirrel_killer- Rarely do I post even close to the same build as anyone, and it's almost never as many perks as the other guys'. You came in 11 LEVELS LOWER THAN ME!i! That's awesome.

Summons/Followers:

I could just blithely assume you know what to cast when, but there's no telling who will read this later, so here's some pointers: Flamey is good at low level, and you can savescum Faralda for her (look at it, cant call them "He") for a measly 30 gold. Also, she's highly mobile, but when she does get CFed, there's a good chance that she'll take a few with her in the death throes. Frosties are a good mid level tank, especially for blocking doors so they can't escape, or to give you a breather. Slow, though. Stormies excell at antidragon, and can do light tanking a la Frosty. If you wanta Tank, it's hard to come up with a better one than Sir Stompy the Dremora lord. In fact you pretty much have to make a better one, but with Twin Souls, you can have all three.

The best Chassis for a DiY Tank is Mjoll the Lioness. It's a tough thing just to get her, involving a Dwemer Ruin crawl, Steam centurion, and eventually, you should get rid of her Ducky. So worth it, though. Heavy Armor, 2H, and Immortal. Grab Grimsever before going to pick up Esbern, then the three of you should be able to clean out Forelhost. Not for you, Mjoll loves Rahgot, and then do The Cursed Tribe for a full suit of Orcish Armor, and the Fellhammer. Done, son. I've seen her mash a Dremora Lord flat, unbound, on the roof of the College of Winterhold, "No Match at all!" Just cast it, stood back, and watched. That was the build I used.

Mjoll, Stormy, and Stompy will win any fight for you. You can help out with your little bow if you like, but you don't really have to. I warn you, this is an extremely OP build. Side effects may include boredom, and rerolling a new character.

ShadowGambit

To hit 50 is easy:

Cast your Flame atronach. Cast Bound sword in BOTH hands. Attack your flame atronach. After 3 hits, your flame atronach becomes hostile. Congrats, you just level your Conjuration skill.

Little advice: don't take Mystic Binding yet when doing this. That may kill your Flame atronach BEFORE the 3rd hit. You need your flame atronach to turn hostile to be able to level your Conjuration.

Jaeger

Don't forget the bosmer follower/archery trainer in Riverwood. Give him your money, take it back. You mentioned spamming bound sword. Just kill something and spam soul trap on the body.

Well, if you're going to "Train" likeat (after I told you how you don't have to) just go to a giant camp, aggro them with 1 arrow, and find a safe spot to cast Bound Sword. One hand, then the other, then sheathe. Or, you could run the quests to get everything else in the build with the Bound Bow, and Flame Atronach, and earn your experience by actually playing the game. Bound Bow is actually the most overpowered in the beginning, when you, and everything else is still low level. But if you really want to grind it up like it's smithing, go clean out Silent Moons Camp, kite some mammoths over there, hide in the little cupola out front, and shoot them with the bow. No bound sword needed.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts