• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wabbajack

Hey guys, I need a bit of help. I've always been a console gamer and I'm finally wanting to invest in a good gaming pc that will run any game that's out right now without any problems.
However I have absolutely no idea what a gaming pc is or what to look for. Embarrassing I know.
So if someone could explain what I should be looking for in a computer to allow me to go gaming crazy but remember I don't know any of the fancy computer lingo so treat me like I'm thick as pl*ps.. Cuz when it comes to computers, I am.

PS sorry if this is in the wrong section

Omega Dragon

Well the most important question needed to be answered before giving any other information is this: what's your budget?

kdshields

Co-founder of Applits.com
Well the most important question needed to be answered before giving any other information is this: what's your budget?

Precisely...a gaming-ready computer can cost from 500 to 5,000 dollars, so depending on your budget, you can clearly scale up ;)

Wabbajack

Well I'm from the UK so my answer will be in pounds. My budget is roughly £1000 but I could probably stretch a bit higher if I need to.

Omega Dragon

Precisely...a gaming-ready computer can cost from 500 to 5,000 dollars, so depending on your budget, you can clearly scale up ;)

It also depends on whether one builds their own or not. (DIY being cheaper, but since not everyone is willing to DIY, yeah...)

Well I'm from the UK so my answer will be in pounds. My budget is roughly £1000 but I could probably stretch a bit higher if I need to.

Oh I see. I can't entirely help you much more, since the sites I go to don't normally ship out there and I deal with them (weak-arse) dollars living in the U.S., but I can suggest a couple of brand-names (as much as I hate brand-name computers, these I'd suggest): CyberpowerPC and iBUYPOWER.

Wabbajack

Thanks for the help guys, another question which may sound totally stupid.
Is there such a thing as a gaming laptop?
And what specs should I be looking for on a gaming computer/laptop ie. Graphics card, GHz whatever that is, memory and or ram. Haha I don't even know what I just asked.

Omega Dragon

Thanks for the help guys, another question which may sound totally stupid.
Is there such a thing as a gaming laptop?
And what specs should I be looking for on a gaming computer/laptop ie. Graphics card, GHz whatever that is, memory and or ram. Haha I don't even know what I just asked.

Well I don't do laptops to begin with, so I neither can nor will be able to help on that end.

If you want to go all out on a video card, I'd say go for an EVGA product (or whatever the AMD equivalent to EVGA would be, I don't keep tabs on AMD so I can't say) like their Geforce GTX580/680 Classified Hydro-Copper 3GB line (I've a GTX580 3GB, and going SLI with it in a few months rather than upgrading to a 600-series myself). When it comes to memory, I've had best results with Corsair's Dominator and Dominator GT products (albeit I generally will recommend Corsair, Kingston, and G.Skill when it comes to memory), and general recommendations are between 8~12GB (which also has a clockspeed, and I'd honestly suggest 1600MHz or higher at least).

In terms of your CPU, I tend to stick to Intel so I don't keep tabs on AMD where the CPU is concerned either, and unless you are planning to build your own I won't go into the extra details. Anyways, you should look for a CPU with 4 physical cores, a clockspeed of the high-2GHz (like no lower than 2.66GHz), but preferably around 3.1~3.3GHz I think it is, which for Intel is the new generation of i5 processors (though Intel's i7 processors more than qualifies).

Of course there are other things to look out for, like your PSU (I'd say go with 750w so you can have room to expand in the future and to over-clock; it is actually an important device in your computer despite its usual low-ranking in suggestion posts as one bad PSU can fry the entire computer), hard drives (I'd say go for a Samsung F3~F4 hard drive or Western Digital RE4/Velociraptor if you can; most people don't usually use more than 500~750GB, but if you're like me and have lots of games, hentai, anime, roms, torrents, etc., the works, you'll need much more eventually - I have almost 5TB of hard drives filled up and working on expanding that to 10~20TB by next year as I prefer keeping a hard drive no fuller than 50%) or as some would suggest a solid-state drive/disk (I've not used one yet, but I do plan on getting one in a few months to be used for my OS & games drive).

I know I've said a lot more for someone buying a desktop PC (I can't help it), so I'll try to recap.

1. Nvidia/AMD GPU with 3GB memory. Sorry, meant 1.5GB memory (AKA video memory), otherwise perhaps a GTX560Ti or AMD equivalent at least.
2. Triple channel of 12GB, Quad-channel of 8GB, or higher. Preferably with a +1600MHz clockspeed if possible (I've quite honestly forgotten if any desktop brand-names advertise the memory clockspeed).
3. PSU with 750w for plenty of room to grow, and needs to be a good quality build too unless you don't mind your desktop frying eggs for breakfast instead of letting you play. (I've never trusted most desktop PC brand-name manufacturers' PSU to begin with though, but I do believe both CyberpowerPC and iBuypower give you good options.)
4. Intel/AMD 4-physical core 3GHz (also a higher cache is good too)
5. 500~750GB 7200 RPM hard drive (unless again you're like me) and perhaps a SSD if optional.
6. I prefer NZXT Phantom cases, they're like the best thing since cheesecake for me. (And I absolutely love cheesecake!)
7. Windows 64bit OS (preferably Windows 7 IMO... I don't like Windows 8's MetroUI for a desktop, and I don't even like Windows OS anymore (I love how Linux operates), but I'm practically forced to use it since no one wants to support what I want to use.)

Now if you ever want to build your own computer (it is always cheaper, even if you buy the parts but pay someone else to build it for you), I like to miss around with Newegg wishlists to see what could be built for what budget and that kind of stuff. XD

ArwinQuinlan

I have just recently bought this laptop I am using right now. Before deciding to buy my laptop, my wife and I searched from the internet. I am not an expert in some technical details but I can share with you how we have come up in deciding which to buy. We want a computer that we can use for gaming, too.

So, first, yes... the budget.

Next is, we looked at the graphics card "rankings" for laptop. We used this list: Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - Notebookcheck.net Tech. If the graphics card of the laptops we scouted from stores or internet is in the top 150 (normally with 2GB and above), we marked it as "PASS" for our decision-making.

Next is, the processor. We decided that i5 and i7 are alright.

Then the rest are just icing on the cake for us, like the Hard disk capacity (500GB, 1TB) and other freebies like laptop bag.

We have decided on Acer when we looked around the mall. With regards to a gaming laptop, I think Acer and Lenovo has gaming laptops. I am not sure which to pick from those but a lot I've seen are very expensive for my budget. I hope this helps.

Zefeh

Laptop:
-CPU
--If your going for a laptop do not go near AMD. Intel has the majority of the mobile CPU market for a reason and it's because AMD hasn't been developing Laptop specific CPU's like the Turion series in years.
However, AMD Fusion CPU's (Processor with a Graphics card inside it - same piece of silicon) are amazing for low end laptops etc but not for intense gaming.
--For a laptop, go with a 4 core i5 or i7, do not look at the i3's as those are more geared towards power saving etc.
Desktop:
-CPU
--AMD will be your buddy for a budget gaming system. You can get a quad-core at 4.2Ghz for 140$USD which isn't their cheapest quad-core while Intel's cheapest quad-core i5 is 180$USD and about 10-15% faster. Gaming today relays more on the Graphics Card than the CPU and the only difference between many of the expensive i7 processors compared to AMD's processors is a difference of 10 to 15 FPS in games. For AMD Processors look into the FX models, quad-cores and high speeds. The 8-core models are overkill so don't bother . . .
-Graphics Cards - same for both Laptop and Desktops -
--Nvidia makes very good mobile graphics cards but AMD is surprisingly competitive in this market more than the CPU one. The guidelines on their naming scheme is as follows -
Nvidia names there cards with 3 numbers, the first is the generation and the second is the power it provides.
The 500 Series was first released in the first quarter of 2011
The 600 Series was just recently released
For gaming you want to look for models at or above 60, for example
560, 570, 580 or 660, 670, 680
These cards are the higher end of the market and play most games exceedingly well. For brands go with Evga, XFX, MSI, PNY, Asus
--AMD/ATI have a different naming scheme with 4 numbers, the first is the generation, second is the market ranged and the third is the placement within that market range. The 7000 series was released this year, while the 6000 series was released last year. Models you want to look for would be models at or above 770, for example
6850, 6870, 6950, 6970 or 7770, 7850, 7870, 7950, 7980.
The 800's are the middle market while the 900's are the higher market, the bigger the number the better.
One last thing - Stay away from the Nvidia 690 and 590, or AMD's 6990 7990 etc as these are TWO 580's or 6980s on a single card. They are often close to double the price and often extremely unnecessary. For brands, go with Sapphire, MSI, XFX, or Asus.
RAM -
Go with 1600Mhz speed or more, more motherboards support dual channel memory now and triple channel is rare. Dual channel basically says 2 ram sticks are going to act as one which = better performance. My recommened brands would be Crucial, G. Skill, Cosnair, and Kingston. Get no less than 8GB of ram, it's extremely cheap(8Gb for 50$USD) and its useful to have extra for multitasking and alt-tabbing out of games and into browsers etc.

I was a member of a computer forum years ago and have kept with all the tech since and have built myself about 4-5 computers in 5 years so I get a little 'nerdy' talking about it so sorry about the long post xP

Wabbajack

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
From what I've gathered, I'm probably better to build a computer myself?

Omega Dragon

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
From what I've gathered, I'm probably better to build a computer myself?

Quick answer is yes.

Long answer made short: not necessarily when you've little experience with computers, but so long as you do read the instructions, you should do just fine. It's also not only cheaper and more rewarding to build your own computer than to buy a brand-name computer, but you also will have a higher sense of pride and higher sense of knowledge of your computer that you won't have to depend on a brand-name desktop manufacturer (as most have often and still do make custom components so they can only be used in their systems) in order to replace and you'll also have all the paperwork for each part to your computer.

dawidbrook

Hello Guys, Its really nice to visit in this section. if anyone have problem then please share with me, I'll help you out of your problems.

blade30p

Apretty much any Alienware desktop. If money isn't an issue go to a reputable local Pc shop & let them build u a gaming rig, that way they know what you have & can upgrade or sell u the upgrades to install yourself as that's the only way to learn ;)

5yrs ago I brought a Pc for a bullseye & it was plopse, kept on dying on me so I learnt how to sort it out myself after I had to spend over £150 at my local shop to get it fixed, so I basically read all I could then practised what I'd read, now I fix other peoples PCs for cash, plus build them for fun ;)

It's a piece of cake dude.

Sent from My Omega powered beast, using Xparent ICS

Jaeger

Stay away from laptops for a gaming computer because of heat and itty-bitty screen. You want a bigger the better tower or cyro-cooled to cool that BEAST down.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts