• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Maybe it's just because I'm such a low level do but am I correct in assuming that if you don't know magic or are particularly skilled in archery you are screwed when a dragon shows up? even if you have a follower you can't to get close enough to the dragon without getting burnEd to death or eaten. is it that way all the way up to the level cap?

Agincourt

'Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!'
yep! run! or kite them to a town/bandit camp etc and watch :p

Novelty

no. I didn't use an ounce of magic in my first play through. you just shoot with arrows (I had no archery perks) until it lands or use dragonrend when you get it. Then you simply go to the side of the dragon and beat on it for a while.

It's not very compelling really. And it's one of the reasons why i'll probably trade this game in on monday.

Agincourt

no. I didn't use an ounce of magic in my first play through. you just shoot with arrows (I had no archery perks) until it lands or use dragonrend when you get it. Then you simply go to the side of the dragon and beat on it for a while.

It's not very compelling really. And it's one of the reasons why i'll probably trade this game in on monday.

Hopefully you'll stop posting when you trade the game, and and my heart go out if you did'nt get the game maybe try board games like "snakes and ladders" or "Noughts and Crosses"

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
No actually it's very possible to do with out a lick of ranged attack. My first character is a pure warrior type. I use a 1h weapon with a healing spell in my left hand. While the dragon is in the air just try to avoid it's shouts and wait for it to land. Once it haas landed, run up on it as fast as you can and start swinging like mad. Use as many power attacks as you can and bolster with stamina potions. when the dragon goes in the air again, use that healing spell to replenish health to full. Rinse and repeat.

Agincourt

No actually it's very possible to do with out a lick of ranged attack. My first character is a pure warrior type. I use a 1h weapon with a healing spell in my left hand. While the dragon is in the air just try to avoid it's shouts and wait for it to land. Once it haas landed, run up on it as fast as you can and start swinging like mad. Use as many power attacks as you can and bolster with stamina potions. when the dragon goes in the air again, use that healing spell to replenish health to full. Rinse and repeat.

Now thats a proper answer to how to deal with the Dragons at low lvls sorta how i did it, negative the running around alot shouting oh S*** a lot :p

mainjimus

I have only fought two dragon, my character is level 7 and I am playing on Adept but I don't think you only have to only stick with ranged attacks. Over time it might vary from dragon to dragon though the tactics that you should use, someone with more experience in the game would might know that. But as far as my own experience for the first dragon I mainly used the bow. But for the second dragon I just took cover and waited for him to land you can use the NPC as a guide to the Dragon's location. Whiled he was landing I rushed him and hit him with the unleashed forced voice attack followed up by a melee attack using a one handed weapon with shield. If took I took some damage then I replaced the weapon with healing while I got out of the way. It doesnt take that long too for your voice powers to come back. You can also incorporate the Whirlwind sprint into the attack to catch the dragon off gaurd or when it is at a positional disadvantage to you.

Buzzfire

Speaking of Dragons has anyone fought the Elder Dragon yet? He is tough, I can barely do damage to him.

SussMofo

Speaking of Dragons has anyone fought the Elder Dragon yet? He is tough, I can barely do damage to him.
Yea i've now fought probably 4 or 5 of them now, they are a bit tougher but i just hide and dual cast and i do decent damage. i am lvl 42 combat now with 79 destruction and 70 one handed (100 speech, 100 smith, 88 sneak)

J747L

I've fought an Elder Dragon and an Ancient Dragon both at once (my character was probably at level 65 back then). It's quite entertaining. I'm looking forward to fighting two Ancient Dragons.

As a warning though, if you find Elder Dragons tough once you encounter an Ancient Dragon be extra careful. I remember the level gap to be quite large in terms of increased HP and damage. (BTW my opinion of Dragon strength is based on Master Difficulty. So it might end up a bit exaggerated if you're on adept.)

A5ko

Dual-Wielding Dragon Destroyer
I'm praying that Ancient Dragon's get tougher, because to be quite honest everything so far is just too easy. The only thing that's made it a little less easy is the bug with Magic Resistance.

J747L

yeah. I'm thankful for the elemental resistance bug and that I finished the game with it. The endgame was a lot more entertaining.

Even when patched I might totally remove my elemental resistances in the future.