• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Would you enjoy the ability to play with a friend?

• Total voters

Keyllan

Any reason a cooperative function wouldn't work in Skyrim? Just think the ability to play with a group, or even one friend would make Skyrim an even more awesome experience. Not sure if there is obvious tech reason this can't be done but if not I'm not sure why it couldn't be implemented into the series.

D3STR0Y3RD33K

The problem would be joining when other people joining that have quests done that others don't and if that would take away from the experience. If they did something like borderland or a random generated character then it could work... idk it would be sweet to have co op for skyrim

Umbranar

Or just have the option to choose singleplayer or co-op game at the start and be stuck with your mate in that save.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I don't think TES games are in anyway designed for multiplayer games. you pause time to drink potions and pick weapons/magic so there's one limitation though that could probably be easily overcome. but the real issue is that you are in your own world. the last thing I need is a buddy coming into my game session and take all the loots, or just ruin the quest experience. I wouldn't ever look at TES games for multiplayer experience. there are other games designed for that. I would be very disappointed if Bethesda forces multiplayer into their game just to increase potential sales.

NoVa

Bossmer
I have been waiting for a decent mmorpg on console. Phantasy Star Universe came kind of close to what I was looking for but it doesn't have the persistent-open world thrill that draws me to games like TES and Fallout. Fable III also almost had it down but the gameplay is pretty crap. If Bethesda could put out a mmorpg for console where both players could use their own customizable characters, I would probably never see the light of day again.

BlackRat

I would straight up LOVE a multiplayer option in TES.
Play together.. or wander the world separately. I'd love it.
Limited players... 1-4 Max. When in multiplayer... you need to have your butt covered for drinking potions and the like.

Fast travel and the passage of time would be a wrinkle, though.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
I would straight up LOVE a multiplayer option in TES.
Play together.. or wander the world separately. I'd love it.
Limited players... 1-4 Max. When in multiplayer... you need to have your butt covered for drinking potions and the like.

Fast travel and the passage of time would be a wrinkle, though.

Time is just a factor in the game, nothing important to it just day and night, not like you can only do certain quests on this date till this date at this time kinda thing, so to solve the wrinkle players can just see there on time, example: i was at 6 am, traveled to whiterun and now its 3pm, but meanwhile my co-op buddy here stayed at the cave we were clearing, and to point of view its still 6 am. just a quick thought could be better options

Al'Amar

The Wood Elf
Like Hexperiment said, I really think that if cooperative game play was brought into the Skyrim World it would ruin the whole whole point of the game aswell as the entire story line. It just doesn't seem right, everything would have to change considering quests and many other important things. No Co-Op for me!

KITTEH

Khajiit
Like Hexperiment said, I really think that if cooperative game play was brought into the Skyrim World it would ruin the whole whole point of the game aswell as the entire story line. It just doesn't seem right, everything would have to change considering quests and many other important things. No Co-Op for me!

I might fit better for those having problem in the game cough cough The Empire cough cough

CharlesD

Have a separate area where you can go in and select specific coop missions. There is a lobby where people can join up and do missions that have no bearing on wherever you are in the single player game. One mission might involve meeting up with three other players in Riverwood and marching on Whiterun to take it back from some Thalmor who recently captured it. There could be capture an enemy fort missions where you all start in a camp and you assault the fort together, or clear a cave together. The possibilities are endless.

brandon

borderlands did this but they didnt do the whole day night thing. but if they were gonna do coop in any tes game. past present or future. they would have to revamp the enemies leveling system to were they always stayed one or two lvls above you. and borderlands did an exelent job with that aspect. but i wouldnt mind running missions with a couple of my friends.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
As a practical matter it can't be done. They would have to dedicate servers and move the entire playing environment over to the server side which would require a complete recoding and they would have to recode the players so they could function on the server side environment and interact with one another. They would have to also revamp the game engine in terms of mechanics and redesign many of the perks. It would essentially be an entirely new game with the Skyrim skin on it and you would have to play with a new character. All this would also cost money to maintain so you would have to pay for a subscription just like any other game. You could also expect a lot of bugs as well as all the other things that come with an MMOG platform including griefing, training, ninjalooting etc.

Couthful

Tamriel Adventurer
I love co-op in theory but probably not until TES 6, kinda late for Skyrim for the reasons Dagmar has listed. Just imagine the recoding needed to simply resolve this question: What would happen if two people approach a word wall?

CharlesD

I love co-op in theory but probably not until TES 6, kinda late for Skyrim for the reasons Dagmar has listed. Just imagine the recoding needed to simply resolve this question: What would happen if two people approach a word wall?

That's where my idea comes in. It wouldn't be on the single player quests at all. You have a whole separate area kind of like the shooters do it, maybe even with different maps that aren't part of the single player game.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
That's where my idea comes in. It wouldn't be on the single player quests at all. You have a whole separate area kind of like the shooters do it, maybe even with different maps that aren't part of the single player game.
It's still not that simple. If they didn't code it for multiplayer when they originally designed it, which they didn't, they'll have to reimplement almost everything on the server side, including all the coding for the player characters, not just the environment. This is why I said you would have to start of with a new character as well.

CharlesD

It's still not that simple. If they didn't code it for multiplayer when they originally designed it, which they didn't, they'll have to reimplement almost everything on the server side, including all the coding for the player characters, not just the environment. This is why I said you would have to start of with a new character as well.
That's how the shooters do it. Whole different character than what you use in single player. It would involve a whole lot of work, but I was just looking at it from the player's point of view, how it would play out after all the grunt work is done.

brandon

That's how the shooters do it. Whole different character than what you use in single player. It would involve a whole lot of work, but I was just looking at it from the player's point of view, how it would play out after all the grunt work is done.
basically unless coop is designed in the game to start with then itll never be able to be coop. maybe for tes 6 but i hope not. even though it would be cool i dont wanna see coop on a tes game. a tes style game yes but tes no.