• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

chade

I am having a issue with the main quest line. I actually hit this progression blocking problem a couple of months ago and was hoping there would be a patch to fix it to no avail. I have also done a fair bit of reading around the place and can see its an issue that people have come across but can't find a resolution. Hoping someone here might know what I am doing wrong and / or know a fix.

After learning the Clear Skies shout I now need to clear the mist at the top of the South East stairs in the High Hrothgar courtyard. When I use clear skies the quest updates for clearing the path but the path does not clear. I can't proceed through the archway....

Any idea's or help would be appreciated. I'd rather not start this over again. I've put quite a few hours into completing all the side quests I can heh.

sorry I play on a xbox I sure there some kind of console commade to get you over the archway.

You might try and climbing the mountain form some othere side using a horse or jump backwards to get to the top because you said "When I use clear skies the quest updates for clearing the path" your next checkpoint is talk to Talk to Paarthurnax right?

chade

Okay np. I have spent a bit of time trying to climb that mountain but don't seem to be able to find the glitch to let me do so. Also, I don't think you can get a horse into the courtyard?

My next checkpoint is Paarthurnax though yes. So hopefully if I can get a / command to get past or climb the mountain he will land.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well you have to make it a certain distance before Paarthurnax will land so even getting yourself up to the top may not be useful. You also do't want to bring a follower.

Just a few questions. Are you sure you have the clear skies shout activated in your list when you're using your 'z' button (or however you have it mapped)? Can you please type the exact thing that appear in your journal as the next thing you need to do? It sounds like you'll want stage 25 or 30 but you really want to exhaust every opportunity to try and get past this without using the console if you can.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
What about the "Become Ethereal" shout? Would that be a usable exploit to get through the mist? It does render you immune to damage for its duration. I at least used it to go back down the path after going up for the first time, and took no damage from the mist which had reappeared.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I know Become Ethereal has been used to get through, yes. And if chade is at the right part of the quest progression, it -should- work because just the walking through the 'checkpoints' should trigger Paarthurnax to settle on his roost. If the walk itself is circumvented, he ends up not being there as I've read. So yes, chade, this is definitely something to try. Thanks for suggesting it, Monolith. I had forgotten all about it.

Halkin

pzzzztt
i must admit when i looked at the topic i expected an epic eve online vid thread, am leaving disappointed

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
What about the "Become Ethereal" shout? Would that be a usable exploit to get through the mist? It does render you immune to damage for its duration. I at least used it to go back down the path after going up for the first time, and took no damage from the mist which had reappeared.

I don't think you can spam it though... would you end up taking severe damage at some point while waiting on the cool down? Not sure if there are gaps in the "mist" that you could wait it out... or if those gaps are caused by actually casting Clear Skies.

At this point though, I guess it's worth a try.. great suggestion none the less.

chade

Sorry for the late reply. Did a re-install of the game content to see if it would make a difference. Unfortunately not.

Basically...

- I enter the courtyard and receive the update for "Learn the Clear Skies Shout"
- I equip Clear Skies
- I walk up the steps and aim the clear skies directly through the archway at the whirling mist (holding "z")
- I receive the update for "Use the Clear Skies Shout to open the path"
- The path does not open, I can't make my way through and me and my companion just take damage.

I've tried using Ethreal but doesn't seem to get me past the first bit :sadface:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts