choosing a race in skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

sirenssixx

Okay so first off I know the game has been out awhile but I just got it about a week ago so thank you in advance for anyone that will help me with this.
My characters race is a khajiit, only level 15, (low I know) anyway, after playing through some of the main quests and even side quests I've started to notice that my skills are way offset, I don't have strong enough skills take on foes in these beginning quest resulting in me dying several times from things as simple as saber tooth cats. I spent my perks oddly so my character isn't balanced and I just over all made bad decisions with my character. Just the other day I finally made it to the college of winterhold (having to run away from nearly every foe from lack of strength) being at the college for a bit made me realize that I want to have a character that focuses on magic but is still capable at fending off enemies with 1 handed weapons (since I tend to cast with 1 hand and fight with the other). After looking at some more detailed information about each race I've narrowed it down to 3 races, The Altmer, (+10 Illusion, +5 Conjuration, +5 Destruction, +5 Alteration, +5 Enchanting), The Dunmer (+10 Destruction, +5 Alchemy, +5 Illusion, +5 Alteration, +5 Light Armor, +5 Sneak), and The Breton (+10 Conjuration, +5 Alchemy, +5 Illusion, +5 Restoration, +5 Alteration, +5 Speech). When it comes to spells I like using conjuring spells (even though i only have 2) but I know I also need high restoration and destruction for those times when I don't have enough magicka to cast a conjuration spell and need to heal.
Which race would be best for me? and also if you have any tips on how to apply my perks 'responsibly' so to speak and what sort of armor to use, how to increase specific useful abilities ect. they would be greatly appreciated. :)

P.S in case it isn't obvious, which I'm sure it is, this is my first time playing a game from the elders scroll series, and my first time posting to a forum of any kind.
and I'm playing this on my 360 so I can't and wont use any hacks.

xsneakyxsimx

I'd say try to play defensively, so got for the Breton. They start with a 25% resistance to magic, which is always helpful. Also, the skill bonuses aren't that important, as pretty much any race can be prolific at any playstyle with good leveling and perk selection.

As for skills, I'd say pick at least a minimum of a main offensive and defensive, as well as a passive/utility one (like an armour skill). Destruction and Restoration is a decent combo, but magic does tend to be underpowered in the late game without alchemy (for Fortify Destruction potions). You've mentioned the use of using One Handed, which is always a solid offensive skill. If you have trouble staying alive, you may want to consider using the Block skill.

In Conjuration, you have three options; bound weapons, atronachs and necromancy. Consider the use of the bound sword in the right hand with either a summon or a raise/resurrect spell. Bound weapons are very powerful with spending only two perk points (Novice Conjuration and Mystic Binding) so would be very useful in your case.

Hope this helps in any way. :)

Edit: If you want to plan out your character, why not try this: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

ShadowGambit

At the end of the day, the bonuses in skills you get for choosing a race is not important.

Racial attributes (like for Breton, Altmer, Orcs) may play a role in the kind of character you WANT to roleplay. But even so.

The most important thing is what type of character you want to play. From there, you will have to choose which fits the bill the best. For example, an Altmer Berserker Tank is not very adapted. An Orc would be better. But NOTHING is stopping you from playing your Altmer like that if you want to.

Skyrim is not much about class/races/attributes like other RPG. You have so much freedom in designing your character that pretty much the sky is the limit. Well, not the sky: the way you want to play is the limit.

xsneakyxsimx

Also, don't try to play a character that does everything. It gets old really fast. And avoid powerleveling Smithing, Enchanting and Alchemy. This can make the game either, (a too hard or, (b too easy. And most importantly (like ShadowGambit said), play Skyrim how YOU want to play it.

sirenssixx

I'd say try to play defensively, so got for the Breton. They start with a 25% resistance to magic, which is always helpful. Also, the skill bonuses aren't that important, as pretty much any race can be prolific at any playstyle with good leveling and perk selection.

As for skills, I'd say pick at least a minimum of a main offensive and defensive, as well as a passive/utility one (like an armour skill). Destruction and Restoration is a decent combo, but magic does tend to be underpowered in the late game without alchemy (for Fortify Destruction potions). You've mentioned the use of using One Handed, which is always a solid offensive skill. If you have trouble staying alive, you may want to consider using the Block skill.

In Conjuration, you have three options; bound weapons, atronachs and necromancy. Consider the use of the bound sword in the right hand with either a summon or a raise/resurrect spell. Bound weapons are very powerful with spending only two perk points (Novice Conjuration and Mystic Binding) so would be very useful in your case.

Hope this helps in any way. :)

Edit: If you want to plan out your character, why not try this: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

Thank you for your advice. I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying, I decided to go with the Brenton, with the help of the the perk calculator I've appointed perks to 4 different places. 2 on heavy armor (juggernaut 2/5), 3 on block (shield wall 2/5, deflect arrows), those would be my planned defense that you mentioned. As for my offense I'm going to take your advice in conjuration With 6 perks going towards it for novice conjuration, apprentice conjuration, mystic binding, summoner 2/2, and atromancy, and with 3 on one handed (armsman 2/5, bladesman 1/3).

This plan is supposedly up to the same level I'm at now with my current character so I think as long as I use these specific skills often they should build up enough for me to level them without a problem.

Thank you again for your help it really cleared things up for me.

xsneakyxsimx

With any character that is going to use magic regularly, consider going into the Restoration tree and getting 2 out of 2 in the "Recovery" perk. The 50% magicka regen is definitely helpful.

I have created a build with your skill selection in mind. It's quite extensive, but is an idea of what sort of endgame situation is achievable. The build is here: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!. Also, consider having a look at this, if you want a truly unstoppable character: Complete Character Design Freedom (Damage Resist Caps and Ridiculous Damage) Thread 10 - Bethesda Softworks Forums.

System of Solace

The Dunmer race is a personal favorite of mine. You can make a stealthy character that can cast a wide array of spells and stand up to tough enemies in melee combat.

One mistake I made early on was to improve areas that were of no value on offense or defense (speech, lockpicking etc.) These raise your level, and more importantly that of your opponents, but give you no additional ability to fight or survive.

xsneakyxsimx

One mistake I made early on was to improve areas that were of no value on offense or defense (speech, lockpicking etc.) These raise your level, and more importantly that of your opponents, but give you no additional ability to fight or survive.

Yes, leveling those types of skills by themselves does make the game more challenging. But, as long as you level up the skill that do help your character survive as well, leveling the non-combat skills isn't complete suicide.

sirenssixx

i actually ended up making what i can only assume is considered a battlemage. putting my perks towards heavy armor, archery (using the bound bow), and conjuration, i'm just hoping that the level cap is 81 not 50 because i want to max out my smithing so i can make my dragon armor

xsneakyxsimx

i actually ended up making what i can only assume is considered a battlemage. putting my perks towards heavy armor, archery (using the bound bow), and conjuration, i'm just hoping that the level cap is 81 not 50 because i want to max out my smithing so i can make my dragon armor

Level 50 is considered the 'soft cap'. Level 81 is the the highest you can go without cheats/hacks, so you will have a maximum of 80 perks to spend.

Edit: What level are you at currently? What's your armour rating? The max damage reduction is 567. Anything above that is wasted.

sirenssixx

Level 50 is considered the 'soft cap'. Level 81 is the the highest you can go without cheats/hacks, so you will have a maximum of 80 perks to spend.

Edit: What race are you currently playing? And what level are you at?
im playing a Brenton right now level 25 i believe, this is my current build (Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!) im thinking thats as far as ill go with heavy armor, maybe add 1 more to finish juggernaut, and then move to improving enchanting to help my spels.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts