character creation addiction

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Saozig

Hippy
The site needs a "Writing and Grammar" rating.
The "Writing and Grammar" rating will give -5 reputation , maybe then people will learn how to write.
Oh, how quaint. Here I was thinking someone was going to whine about so-called thread necromancy.

Anyhow, since you are so concerned about good writing and grammar, allow me to assist you:

The "Writing and Grammar" rating will give -5 reputation , maybe then people will learn how to write.

The space before the comma shouldn't be there. In English, we never use commas like that. Fortunately, that is easy enough to fix: just take a half-second to delete that space. Viola!

Now, look at this whole sentence. You have two complete sentences improperly joined together in one sentence. That makes it a run-on sentence and that's a writing and grammar no-no.

There are a few different ways you can fix this, depending on your writing style and personal preferences.

1. You can separate them into two distinct sentences:

The "Writing and Grammar" rating will give -5 reputation. Maybe then people will learn how to write.

2. You can use a conjunction:

The "Writing and Grammar" rating will give -5 reputation and maybe then people will learn how to write.

3. You can also try something that's a bit more formal and higher register, in terms of English writing, by using a semi-colon, which would replace the conjunction entirely. This would allow you to retain, in a written sense, the flow of ideas from the first sentence to next that might be lost when using a period:

The "Writing and Grammar" rating will give -5 reputation; maybe then people will learn how to write.

Just be sure to not add a space in between the semi-colon and the word preceding it. ;)

I hope this helps. Personally, even though I paid my bills as an undergrad and a grad student by proofreading and copyrighting everything from doctoral dissertations to books published by the APA and AMA, I try not to engage in critiquing other people's writing online, since I have already done so much of it for a paycheck. Besides, despite my proofreading experience, I have dysgraphia, a disability similar to dyslexia, that affects how my brain processes language as I am writing or typing it, and I've been know to make some pretty bad errors myself. So I am sensitive to the fact that some people may have a disability or some other obstacle when writing online, and since I have no way of knowing to whom I'm talking most of the time, I simply employ a modicum of basic etiquette and civility and try not to needlessly waste my own time online haranguing, gaslighting or snarking others over silly typos or clumsy grammar. For someone so concerned about the issue of writing and grammar, however, I have happily made an exception.

Darth Brogan

Sith Lord
I usually think about the character I'm about to make, think of his personality, create a backstory. Then I come up with a name, I get all attached, then I actually create the character, and get pretty immersed. I make a new character every now and then, but I always go back to my Dark Elf mage because I developed a connection with him. My advice is to not just make a character on the fly, although sometimes, it turns out cooler than if you put too much thought into it.

I'm not compulsive about it, but I think I've proven to my satisfaction that there's practically endless combinations of skills, perks, and gear that can be effective, and fun. I save the ones that Role Play the best, but if I have a specialty in games like this, it's cranking out unique variations to prove it can be done. Most of my inspiration comes from this very forum, where people ask for advice on a new build, and if it's something I haven't tried, then I just have to playtest it for troubleshooting purposes so I can say definitively that it's viable, or why it isn't. That's all it is, I don't have a problem, seriously. No, really, I'm not in denial at all.

Stormy

The right hand of Talos.
I think the reason people are like this is because that character is essentialy "you" in skyrim... And if you feel as if anyone in the game would be judging you on your appearence then its like they are judging your real life tastes, Therefore you will stop at nothing to make a character or "Your skyrim personality" the best looking person they can be.... and if not then hey im just a crazy nord xD and concerning the matter of perks etc my very first character was a khajit and i felt like he wasnt developing like a true khajit would... he wore heavy armour and used a big dirty 2h axe to cleave enemies.. when cats are stealthy and thieves... therefore i wasnt happy with him and made my current character (2nd character ever) the mighty nord who i am completely satisfied with and who will see out the entirety of skyrim with me! Talos forever!

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I have a flash drive with over 40 characters, levels 10-30 on it, like some mad scientist, who every bride he builds is flawed, so he tosses it on the corpse pile and creates another one!

HEFFAY

I too am addicted to making characters.... here are some of mine...

Vladenov - Mage/vampire/necromancer - Breton
Scotch - Thief/illusionist/conjuer - khajit
Tai-Raine - Thief/assassin/illusionist - Argonian
Gurag Smashsmith - Enchanter/blacksmith/two handed heavy armor - Orc
Black Wolf - one handed/archer/blocking/werewolf - Nord

all of those characters i have spent hours upon hours developing.. and there has been dozens of characters i got sick of by the end of the escape from helgen tutorial....

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts