Character Build?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
Hey there, I'd like to introduce myself first, My general online name is Mazzy, I'm a long time elder scrolls player, new here on the forums, and I was looking for a build for a new skyrim character. I would really like a mage-type character that doesn't focus on doing immediate damage, but rather slowly burns enemies down with diseases (except there isn't disease spells in skyrim, but i'm sure there's alternatives) I was thinking about conjuration, (atronach side) to do most of the damage for me, but I need to be doing something myself. Any ideas? (Give me race too) and again, I'd like to have conjuration in there, and use robes.
Thanks in advance -Mazzy

Tivo

Dovahkiin
That's actually the road I took.

High Elf race for sure.

I use master illusion, conjuration, and alteration. (With a little bit of destruction here and there)

I actually don't use robes. I use 2 sets of daedric armor.

One with a total of -100% conjure and alteration mp usage.

One with a total of -100% conjure and illusion mp usage.

I use the Steed Standing Stone which makes armor weigh nothing (like the perk) and increases carry weight by 100.

I am only able to pull off a good heavy armor mage because I have 100 blacksmith and Enchanting.

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
Interesting, what health-magicka-stamina ratio did you use? also, I would like a skyrim skill builder link :p PS. I play on master, so I want to make sure this works on master (confirm for me?)

Tivo

Dovahkiin
I started off nothing but magicka until I got to 280 or 300ish. Then I put a few points in health so I didn't get 1hit by bosses and such. Then I got to a 350 magicka base and started dumping everything else in health.

I thought I was the only person that wanted to go mage without getting really in to destruction. I absolutely love illusion.

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
Yeah, I see what you mean by Illusion being good for this, The fury spell really works out for what I want to do. My build will be something like this ( The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Skills Builder - IGN ) I will probably focus on conjuration illusion alteration and restoration, prioritizing Conjuration and Illusion more at the start, then sort of now and then I'll go with restoration and alteration. Thanks for the help!

Tivo

Dovahkiin
You're welcolme. I rushed to get 100 conj alt and ill, now I just level destruction and restoration as I progress in the game. I got 100 sneak speech enchanting smithing and those 3 mage schools before I did a single quest (other than the 1st one of course)

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
I just posted the build on the character builds topic, if you don't mind. :)

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
Character Build: The Salamander - The Skyrim Blog

I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, but I thought I would bring it to your attention for some ideas for you. It's a build that focuses on not attacking directly, but wears Heavy Armor and a Shield. Uses Destruction Cloak and Wall spells for some damage, and Atronachs as well. And Alchemy for poisons, applied to a weak sword to administer.

Welcome to the forums, both of you.

Tivo

Dovahkiin
I just posted the build on the character builds topic, if you don't mind. :)
Not at all. I just replied to it with something you can add to your post (not sure if posts that aren't builds are allowed in that thread lol)

Thanks.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
Not at all. I just replied to it with something you can add to your post (not sure if posts that aren't builds are allowed in that thread lol)

Yeah, the guy who started the Thread, Cristian Lazaro, is very strict with giving out negative marks for people who comment on the thread without builds, so you can delete it if you want.

Can Mazzy double post his build into this thread also, so you can give him feedback here in a safe environment?

Tivo

Dovahkiin
I took my post off the build thread and put it here instead.

The Summoner
Race:High Elf
Alignment: Chaotic/Neutral
Factions:College of Winterhold
Major Skills:Conjuration, Illusion, Alteration
Minor Skills:Restoration, Destruction
Perks: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Skills Builder - IGN
Guardian Stone: Mage
Shouts: Dismay, Become Ethereal (for when you are in trouble)
Equipment:Whatever you want, I went with Robes.
Obs. Put your alteration shield up, fury the nearest enemy, summon your atronachs, (I used frost atronachs or dremora lords) and then cast some apprentice destruction spells, (not really intended for direct damage, so only apprentice)

If you don't have 100 enchanting and don't want to create your own armor, the armor acquired upon completion of the College of Winterhold quest line is by far the best armor for mages (all schools).

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
I took my post off the build thread and put it here instead.

If you don't have 100 enchanting and don't want to create your own armor, the armor acquired upon completion of the College of Winterhold quest line is by far the best armor for mages (all schools).
Aha, I see, but I probably will, like most of my characters, end up making my own gear.

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
Character Build: The Salamander - The Skyrim Blog

I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, but I thought I would bring it to your attention for some ideas for you. It's a build that focuses on not attacking directly, but wears Heavy Armor and a Shield. Uses Destruction Cloak and Wall spells for some damage, and Atronachs as well. And Alchemy for poisons, applied to a weak sword to administer.

(sorry for double post) Interesting... I'll look into it. Thank you for the suggestions, and thank you for the warm welcome :)

Tivo

Dovahkiin
Aha, I see, but I probably will, like most of my characters, end up making my own gear.
Then you're gonna want to go with dual enchanting conjuration with any school you don't want to use up magicka to cast for. Oh and I noticed people on youtube using enchantment potions to go higher than 25% deduction. There's really no reason to do that if you're putting the enchants on 4 pieces because 25% on each makes your spells cost 0 and you can cast spells using a negative amount of magicka so its pointless.

Those enchants work on hat, top, ring, necklace. Enchants on other pieces are up to you and for those you're probably gonna want to use an enchant potion to make them that much better.

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
Then you're gonna want to go with dual enchanting conjuration with any school you don't want to use up magicka to cast for. Oh and I noticed people on youtube using enchantment potions to go higher than 25% deduction. There's really no reason to do that if you're putting the enchants on 4 pieces because 25% on each makes your spells cost 0 and you can cast spells using a negative amount of magicka so its pointless.

Those enchants work on hat, top, ring, necklace. Enchants on other pieces are up to you and for those you're probably gonna want to use an enchant potion to make them that much better.
I know all this already! (Played Skyrim since release, so yeah :D) I've seen a guy on youtube who doesn't go for 100% mana reduction, his destruction spell is like, 7 magicka or something, so he still has the risk (a very low risk) of running out of mana.

Tivo

Dovahkiin
Yeah I was actually thinking of going with something like 2 pieces with 30%ish conj/alt and 2 pieces with illusion/desctruct and use fire or frost thrall and fire or frost master level aoes. (coordinate aoes with the thrall so you don't kill them of course). I just started skyrim a week ago, but I learn quickly.

I wanna get my alchemy up to 100 so I can make my own enchanting potions instead of having to buy elixers. Then I can just make magicka pots and go with the 30% enchants and use pots when I need magicka.

Off topic: What's the fastest way to level alchemy?

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
If I had to point you somewhere. I would point you to this youtube video
it's one of my favourite youtubers, and he has 2 characters with 100 alchemy, and I've used his method, and it goes up extremely fast, it also gives you other stuff, like effects of ingredients, ect ect. so check out that video!

Tivo

Dovahkiin
If I had to point you somewhere. I would point you to this youtube video
it's one of my favourite youtubers, and he has 2 characters with 100 alchemy, and I've used his method, and it goes up extremely fast, it also gives you other stuff, like effects of ingredients, ect ect. so check out that video!
Thank ya much.

Mazzy

Space Marine Assassin
What are your thoughts on the video, then? I found them very helpful when I was getting into alchemy

Tivo

Dovahkiin
What are your thoughts on the video, then? I found them very helpful when I was getting into alchemy
I can tell you it will save me a hell of a lot of time trying to learn what ingredients do what.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts