By Popular Request - the 10 WORST perks Skyrim's new leveling system has to offer!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Balance

Own Face.
As with everything I post here, you can read the full article below - or on my website at http://balance-reviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/10-worst-perks-skyrims-new-leveling.html

The 10 WORST Perks Skyrim's New Leveling System Has To Offer

So thanks to all the feedback stemming from last weeks similar article - The 10 Best Perks Skyrim's New Leveling System Has To Offer, I've come up with a polar opposite addition - The 10 WORST Perks Skyrim's New Leveling System Has To Offer. Enjoy!

Rune Master (40 Destruction) - Comparatively speaking, for a perk this low down the skill tree, it has almost nothing to offer. Runes are only useful and mana efficient when not cast during combat, IE. used to set up and trap an area before engaging enemies. This perk lets you cast runes five times further away - that's awfully useless since I could just walk there and trap the area, and spend the perk-point elsewhere and actually have an impact early-on, instead of wasting a point for this 'time saving' perk.

Disintegrate (70 Destruction) - Your lightning based spells turn low-health enemies into dust when it kills them. Cool, so not only are they dead, but I can't animate their corpses. This doesn't do any damage, it's a strictly aesthetic effect. Sure, its great eye candy, but it ultimately doesn't do anything except deny you a summoned companion, if that's your thing.

Illusion (The entire tree except for Quiet Casting) - I can't keep droning on about how easy the game is, and how ultimately worthless crowd control is in the game. Most enemies die quickly, and it isn't worth casting (fear) on them when you could just as easily kill them outright. Also, bosses can't get feared. Just kill them, whats the point?

Wax Key (50 Lockpicking) - If you successfully pick a lock, you get a copy of that lock's key - if possible. So in a random dungeon you can save yourself the five seconds to pick a lock and open it instantly. Opening a lock with the wax key also denies you the chance to raise your lockpicking skill. Oh, and most locks don't have keys; something like 70% of them, from what I've read.

Golden Touch (60 Lockpicking) - Gold is more or less infinite in this game, especially if you invest any points into the speech tree. Even if this doubles the amount of gold found in chests, its still not worth it - almost all your income stems from dragon slaying, grinding out your enchanting or smithing skills, or just selling random loot.

Deflect Arrows (30 Block) - This skill isn't TOTALLY useless, as it's required to get further up the Block skill tree, for Elemental protection (which gives you 50% elemental resists when blocking). However, the actual benefit of this skill really makes me question why they even tried to implement this mechanic into Skyrim. So, with this perk, if you manage to block an arrow with your shield, it'll do no damage. Aside from a few VERY high level bosses, I can't remember when I was even concerned about an enemy wielding a bow, let alone threatened by them enough to try and block arrows instead of just walking up to them and owning face. It's also pretty gimmicky at best, even at point blank range - being able to consistently block arrows with your shield isn't very reliable.

Ward Absorb (60 Restoration) - Wards in and of themselves are 100% useless. I quote myself from my Skyrim review article; "They put wards into this game too. Spells that take up a hand and let you block other spells. Every character comes with two wards, the A and D buttons, which safely let you dodge every spell in the game except lightning-based ones, which don't hamper physical damage dealers in any way, and are really just invitations to smear the caster's face on the ground with a hammer."

Poisoned (40 Pickpocket) - This gem lets you place poisons onto enemies after you sneak within inches of them. This poison then hurts them. I'm dumbfounded at anyone who even considers this perk. Poisons are mediocre sources of damage at any level. Also, you can quite easily raise Sneak (enough to even allow you to get close enough for a poison attempt in the first place) and just backstab them for a 15x multiplier, often two to three times consecutively, instantly eliminating the threat and the need to stand right next to them and risk detection while you try to plant a poison in their inventory.

Bribery (30 Speech) - Why would I want to bribe a guard? At level 25, my latest character has over 17,000 gold. I have nothing to buy, and am carrying around at least another 20k worth of gold in equipment. Also, I don't commit crimes because there's generally no reason to. If I feel like going on a rampage and leveling an entire city, I save the game before hand and get it out of my system. Since the random crashes force me to quick save at least twice a minute while adventuring, I always have a fallback in case I mistakenly shoot a guard in the throat. Pointless.

Thanks for reading all this, hope you enjoyed! Please feel free to comment below, I'd love to see if I missed something with these :)

Also, if you've enjoyed this article and want to read more, why not head over to my website and see if I've written something else about Skyrim, or any other game, that you'd be interested in reading? Thanks! http://balance-reviews.blogspot.com/

Touchstone

I feel like I need to disagree with your final perk assessment. Being a lawbreaker myself, and occasionally getting caught, it's much easier to just bribe the guard than try to hunt down everything I've taken (that they then take from me). It is also much easier than re-loading a previous save, and adds nice gameplay flavor to the game.

Otherwise, I feel you're pretty spot on.

The Balance

Own Face.
Yeah, I see how it could be time saving in that way - perhaps I've become too quicksave happy since I seem incapable of tracking down the random crashes I experience. This really means I'm never out more then 2-3 minutes of playtime in a game.

Metallipath

Premium Member
I think a couple of these are good for roleplaying purposes, but things like Rune Master and Wax Key... I just don't understand the use of them.

The Balance

Own Face.
I think a couple of these are good for roleplaying purposes, but things like Rune Master and Wax Key... I just don't understand the use of them.

Well... sure, I can see that. Just about anything could be used as roleplay-fodder though, that's not much of an excuse for designing perks that, in comparison, provide little to no benefit to your character.

Metallipath

Premium Member
Well... sure, I can see that. Just about anything could be used as roleplay-fodder though, that's not much of an excuse for designing perks that, in comparison, provide little to no benefit to your character.

You don't have to use them.

Edit: It's also nice to have the option to use them for a specific character design.

Allaric

You forgot Allure. %10 better prices with merchants of the opposite sex. Talk about useless. But hey, you cant get to the rest of the good speech perks without wasting a point on this one

harpwood

Well, sometimes some perks are not so worthless. Depends on role-playing and your fighting style...

Dylanj70

I used to be a Guard, Then i took a curved sword
I agree with you on the Wax Key, the Poisoner and Rune Master perks. But I personally like Illusion. The Calm spell really came in handy when I had 7 Necromancers around me casting Frostbite. One blast of it (I was 85 Illusion at the time) And BAM! I had time to recover and drink my potions and get to a safe spot before starting again.

P.S. If you think that because I had 85 Illusion then my levels should have been high enough to smash the Necro's, I spent all my levels practicing Illusion and Conjuration and nothing else :D

Eturnus

I thought the same thing about the runes but i actualy just saw a youtube clip yesterday where somone placed a rune at somones feet instead of trapping a corridor. it was almost like using a fireball it seems. They were running turned, aimned the rune at their feet and BAM! i never thought to use it in that way

Eturnus

Yeah - but aren't fireballs more damaging and mana efficient?

yes fireballs are much more mana efficiant, but only do 40pts of damage where a rune will do 50pts of damage. Also the rune is an aprentice skill needing only 25 skill points to learn, and 40 skill points for the perk. Fireball is an adept spell needing 50 skill points.

Even once you get fireball, even though more mana efficiant, Fire Rune will still be your biggest nuke untill you get the "expert level" spells at 75 skill points.

Also as long as your going with "Fortify Destruction" which i see a lot of people are these days for free spells, the mana cost becomes irrelevent.

What this means is untill you hit lvl 75 skill ponts and acquire the expert spells, runes are actually your biggest Nukes

Fate

>Living, Loving, Learning<
I dont know that answer too that one as for some odd reason I have the 5 rune perk but I still can only cast 1 rune..

theriel

Illusion - disagree. If you play a mage you can base almost all your fights on illusion and win them easily. Perks are necessary to get the level multipliers and affect some types of creatures. I could equally say that sneaking is totally useless - why bother if you can fireball everyone... o_0.

You forgot Deep Freeze, Intense Flames and many others... but hey, it's your list! ;).

P.S. I assume you are talking about expert and master level gameplay. On anything below you can probably go through the game with one or two spells and no perks whatsoever...

The Balance

Own Face.
Illusion - disagree. If you play a mage you can base almost all your fights on illusion and win them easily. Perks are necessary to get the level multipliers and affect some types of creatures. I could equally say that sneaking is totally useless - why bother if you can fireball everyone... o_0.

You forgot Deep Freeze, Intense Flames and many others... but hey, it's your list! ;).

P.S. I assume you are talking about expert and master level gameplay. On anything below you can probably go through the game with one or two spells and no perks whatsoever...

Deep Freeze and Intense flames are pointless, if they're that low - just kill them. Aside from a potential cool/RP opportunity, they add little to actual game Play, although when people on fire run away they do say some hilarious stuff.

Yeah, expert or master, any other mode the game is a cakewalk - especially with the laughable AI in place.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts