• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DWFII

I wanted to buy a house in Whiterun but I don't know where to find the real estate office. I thought there was a scribe or something on the second floor of dragon's reach but I couldn't find him.

I really don't care if I have a house or not but I'd like somewhere secure to store stuff.

any thoughts or ideas?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
If the Jarl's Steward isn't in Dragonsreach then try looking out on the Dragonsreach Great Porch or in the Dragonsreach Living Quarters.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Once you do the Dragon Stone quest for the Jarl the house will become available to buy from the Steward.

DWFII

Once you do the Dragon Stone quest for the Jarl the house will become available to buy from the Steward.
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Didn't have enough gold at the time...still not sure I have enough gold but as I am looking for a secure place to store stuff I thought I would check it out.

I heard about a free house somewhere (not a hack). Anyone know about that?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Didn't have enough gold at the time...still not sure I have enough gold but as I am looking for a secure place to store stuff I thought I would check it out.

Well if you have been there & done that then you already know the name of the Jarl's Steward & that the Jarl has informed his Steward that you can purchase property in Whiterun.

DWFII

Well if you have been there & done that then you already know the name of the Jarl's Steward & that the Jarl has informed his Steward that you can purchase property in Whiterun.

It's been a while...I didn't buy a house immediately because I didn't have enough gold...I simply don't remember who the Jarl's steward is or what he looks like.

mellojoe

Look for Proventus. he's kind of a bald guy. he's usually near the Jarl's throne, but sometimes he wanders up to the porch out back. If he's upstairs at the porch, sometimes he doesn't give the option to purchase the house, but if you follow him back to the main dining hall or to his bedroom, it should be availible after that.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
The Jarl's Steward is called Proventus Avenicci & he looks like this....

250_Proventus_Avenicci.jpg

DWFII

Aye, that's what I was looking for--I've seen him (he's not too enthralled with the whole idea of Dragonborn) I just couldn't find him last time I was in Dragon's Reach.

thanks.

DWFII

OK. I bought Breezehome. A little more expensive than I had hoped.

My question is how do I get the place cleaned up, repaired, and furnished. I suppose the furnishings can be bought somewhere?

There are boxes in the house that will not open...how do I get rid of them, along with the straw? Repair the flooring upstairs and start a cozy fire in the hearth?

Somewhat related--I read somewhere that you could give commands to followers that weren't the rote commands or questions that appear when you speak to a follower. I have Lydia as my housecarl now and don't know what to do with her. I ken I might want to take her on some quests or, or other times leave her at the house but will she cook and clean?

DWFII

Thank you. I finally figured that out--when I got to the house and began unburdening myself of items, I found the home decorator's manual.

But one question that popped up which doesn't seem to have a ready answer...upstairs there is a bedroom with a closed door and a bed. I thought that would be my room.

But when I went to take a short nap, I found out the bed was "owned" and I cannot use it!

So obviously Papa or mama bear owned the house before me.

How do I exorcize the bed?

In Skyrim, I don't sleep well...no rest for the wicked, apparently. But Lydia might need a place to stay.

mellojoe

The bed is owned by Lydia, your housecarl. Your bedroom is to the right of the top of the stairs. The one to the left is Lydia's.

If you talk to Proventus and get the "bedroom" upgrade, I think you get a large king-sized bed for your master bedroom.

DWFII

Thank you! I did the bedroom upgrade after I asked this question and suddenly I had a new room! But it wasn't until you replied that I understood that the first bedroom was for Lydia. Convenient that.

But what if I had bought the house without Lydia...I left her in DragonReach for most of my journey so far. I had a follower from Riverwood with me and she didn't seem to want to play second fiddle to him.

Eventually I took the follower home to marry Camilla. Picked up Lydia only a very short time ago.

I am guessing that since she was assigned to me as housecarl there would have been a bed provided for her no matter what.

mellojoe

Correct. Lydia is your housecarl, which means her HOME is in your house. If you get bored with her as a follower, she will go home: to Breezehome. And it works the same way with any other house you purchase. If you get a housecarl assigned to you as "thane", their home is your house. I guess it is kind of the definition of housecarl: they live in the house with you.

tigersauce

Caravan Guard
Well you buy Breezehome (Whiterun's house for sale) from Proventus Avenicci, and you can usually find him in Dragonsreach. During the daytime hes usually at the dining table, during nighttime, you can find him in his bed in the Jarl's Quarters. To buy the estate in the first place, you need to have slain the dragon in the beginning, but I'm sure you already know that.

RedVideo

His Excellency
I believe each of the houses has a room for a housecarl. Sometimes you get the house first, so even when you furnish it there will be one unused room. Once the housecarl moves in their room gets furnished. What's handy is you can use their cabinets, wardrobes and such for more storage.

Oh, you will notice that Lydia almost never goes to her own room. she spends all her spare time sitting in your room, munching bread and watching you sleep, or change cloths, or whatever else you do in there (Lovers comfort). Lydia is a creeper.

DWFII

I believe each of the houses has a room for a housecarl. Sometimes you get the house first, so even when you furnish it there will be one unused room. Once the housecarl moves in their room gets furnished. What's handy is you can use their cabinets, wardrobes and such for more storage.

Oh, you will notice that Lydia almost never goes to her own room. she spends all her spare time sitting in your room, munching bread and watching you sleep, or change cloths, or whatever else you do in there (Lovers comfort). Lydia is a creeper.

Well, I kind of like Lydia. She's got an attitude but I always did like a woman with a little spunk. And she's saved my butt many times.

But she never sleeps (neither do I) and I've never seen her sit down and eat anything. I've left her in hotel rooms for the night but she's always in the same place I left her when I come back in the morning.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts