• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

dale112

so i haven't done the main quest and want to buy a house for about 7k. who do i talk to and here do i go? thanks :D

Onyx

The price of a house depends on the city.
The cheapest is the one in Whiterun, but requires you to do some of the starting main quests in Whiterun.
This costs around 5k to buy the house and around 2k to decorate.

The next cheapest is in Riften. There you need to do the Skooma Side Quest (speak to the Argonian in the docks - fishery I think) as well as help 5 people which misc quests. Once done you will be able to purchase a house for around 8k and about 5k or so (maybe less) to decorate.

The most expensive is in Solitude I think. Costs 25k to purchase (have to do 5 misc quests and the Wolf Cave quest, received when you go to the Jarl's palace). It costs around 11k to decorate.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
The easiest one to get is in Whiterun; you can buy this house after (spoiler)you've killed your first dragon.(/spoiler) It'll set you back 5k.

Houses in the other towns, as LordBlades said, require you to do some quests for the Jarl. Most Jarls will want you to do some odd jobs around town before they make you Thane of the town, and offer you residence. :)

EDIT: Onyx put it better than I ever could. :p

The price of a house depends on the city.
The cheapest is the one in Whiterun, but requires you to do some of the starting main quests in Whiterun.
This costs around 5k to buy the house and around 2k to decorate.

The next cheapest is in Riften. There you need to do the Skooma Side Quest (speak to the Argonian in the docks - fishery I think) as well as help 5 people which misc quests. Once done you will be able to purchase a house for around 8k and about 5k or so (maybe less) to decorate.

The most expensive is in Solitude I think. Costs 25k to purchase (have to do 5 misc quests and the Wolf Cave quest, received when you go to the Jarl's palace). It costs around 11k to decorate.

Lol, I never actually felt the need to buy houses in other towns as I do most of my stuff in Whiterun and being a werewolf I don't really need to sleep so I assumed they were all 5k.

Onyx

Lol, I never actually felt the need to buy houses in other towns as I do most of my stuff in Whiterun and being a werewolf I don't really need to sleep so I assumed they were all 5k.

True, I got the Solitude one as I could not have my wife continueing to mingle with the Rif-Raf of Riften....sigh...so after ALL that work to come up with the money and move her into the new luxury mansion...I do not even get some much as a thank you! *grumble grumble* :p

psyk0

Hey, at least she makes you a home-cooked meal once in a while, and gives you a bit of an experience boost when you sleep with her. Maybe that's her way of saying thank you. Maybe she's shy. Maybe she's sick of wandering around the house alone all day while you're out killing dragons. Ever think about that? HMM?

You thoughtless animal.

Onyx

I guess I should not mention the first thing I do when I see her (after being gone for weeks) is ask her how much money she has made....does that make me a bad person?

psyk0

All I'll say is, don't be surprised if she steals all your dragon bones and runs off with the blacksmith. Those blacksmiths know how to treat a lady right.

Volsung

Fortune favours the Bold
Solitudes house is amazing, but Whiteruns is the most effecient. Theres more bookshelves & chests etc.

Onyx

All I'll say is, don't be surprised if she steals all your dragon bones and runs off with the blacksmith. Those blacksmiths know how to treat a lady right.
Doh! That is where they went!

psyk0

The one in Riften is really nice - you can put an Enchanting Table in there, and it's got a nice little garden out front. The Whiterun one is just fine, though; you're only 30 seconds from the Dragonsreach enchanting table anyway.

Onyx - keep an eye out for your wife coming home with coal stains on her blouse... telltale sign.

Onyx

The one in Riften is really nice - you can put an Enchanting Table in there, and it's got a nice little garden out front. The Whiterun one is just fine, though; you're only 30 seconds from the Dragonsreach enchanting table anyway.

Onyx - keep an eye out for your wife coming home with coal stains on her blouse... telltale sign.

I would consider making the Blacksmith having an unfortunate accident (slipped and face fell in the forge...oh dear!)...but then I would have not wear to sell all my crap and I like money more...guess that makes me even less of a good person :D

Onyx

You have to speak to Mamal in Riften (either in the inn or temple of Mara) and speak to him about Mara/Marriage. You can then purchase an Amulet of Mara from him for 200g (or find it in dungeons etc). When you wear it, any eligable people will comment and ask if you want to marry! Note: You usually have to do a favor/quest for the people before they will want to marry you. If you become thane, your housecarl's are also eligable for marriage. You can also marry some guild companions but you usually have to finish all the main guild quests before you can.

Once you and your spouse have decided to marry, you need to speak to Mamal again in the temple of Mara to arrange your wedding. You then need to wait until the following date (8am). Then your spouse and some guests will arrive and you will be wed. You then need to speak to your spouse and arrange where you want to live (their place or yours).

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
The easiest one to get is in Whiterun; you can buy this house after (spoiler)you've killed your first dragon.(/spoiler) It'll set you back 5k.

Houses in the other towns, as LordBlades said, require you to do some quests for the Jarl. Most Jarls will want you to do some odd jobs around town before they make you Thane of the town, and offer you residence. :)

EDIT: Onyx put it better than I ever could. :p

It should be noted that you can get the house in Whiterun before the aforementioned spoiler. You need to have completed the quest prior to battling the dragon. Damn, I play the beginning so damn much.

Onyx

It should be noted that you can get the house in Whiterun before the aforementioned spoiler. You need to have completed the quest prior to battling the dragon. Damn, I play the beginning so damn much.
Me too...

My name is Onyx and I am an Altaholic....

psyk0

More importantly, can you divorce the whining bitch when she becomes just too annoying to live with?

Who needs divorce when you have a greatsword?