Xbox 360 Blood on the Ice

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

mbrkpp

I know you guys probably get these questions ALL the time, and I was yet to question it until after I downloaded the update today.

I can not, for the life of me, get the Blood on the Ice quest to trigger.
I do the whole fast travel multiple times trick, and that has no results.

I got the key to the house off a woman who committed suicide in her home, and took the journals/amulet from the house. I also pickpocketed Calixto and stole HIS journal from his chest.
What should I do? I have all the "proofs" I'm sure the actual quest would ask me to get. I have the strange amulet as well, should I try to sell it to Calixto? I haven't gone and spoken to him yet but I saw stuff about it on the other forums.

EDIL correction, his "house of Curiosities" is never open anymore, and I can't break-in and sell it to him, for obvious reasons.

Things that could possibly interefere:
I a little over 200 hours into the game
I'm a level 49
I completed the Stormcloak quest line

Has anyone run into this issue? Anyway to fix it or know how I could possible get the body in the graveyard to trigger?

Ghost town

I have the same problem. I have three different characters and not one of them has succeeded in this quest. When I go to Windhelm and see the dead girl in the graveyard, there is never a guard present, only the three onlookers. Without the guard, I can't get the dialog I need to start the quest.

mbrkpp

I have the same problem. I have three different characters and not one of them has succeeded in this quest. When I go to Windhelm and see the dead girl in the graveyard, there is never a guard present, only the three onlookers. Without the guard, I can't get the dialog I need to start the quest.

Hey, at least you get the dead girl! haha, all of the supposed "victims" for this quest are still alive roaming around town for me.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
This quest has been problematic since day 1. Some of the patches are supposed to address it but it's only guaranteed to work on new games. Here's the link to the known bug/solution list for this debacle:

Skyrim:Blood on the Ice - UESPWiki

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Talked to Viola? She accompanies you to Hjerim... you then take your findings to the Windhelm Steward.

mbrkpp

Talked to Viola? She accompanies you to Hjerim... you then take your findings to the Windhelm Steward.

Yeah, I see her around town but it just let's me "talk" and she drones about worrying about the women being murdered, but it gives me no options to actually conversate with her. Is there a place to find her (like her house or something) that might let it trigger correctly? I found the key to Hjerim on the body of the woman that committed suicide because she lost her two daughters.

mbrkpp

This quest has been problematic since day 1. Some of the patches are supposed to address it but it's only guaranteed to work on new games. Here's the link to the known bug/solution list for this debacle:

Skyrim:Blood on the Ice - UESPWiki
Unfortunately I've read this article up and down but it only addresses bugs if finding the body becomes problematic, but the body in the graveyard doesn't exist for me, none of the murders do.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately I've read this article up and down but it only addresses bugs if finding the body becomes problematic, but the body in the graveyard doesn't exist for me, none of the murders do.

This was true in my first playthrough as well. The whole quest never trigger off at all. Like I said, I know it's supposed to be addressed in some of the subsequent patches. With Xbox, you can't fiddle with console commands either to try and get the thing to go off. Does your Xbox have the latest patch? Should be 1.5 now.

mbrkpp

Have you talked to the Steward in Palace of the Kings?

I have, yes. He simply gives me the usual list of options and if I click on wanting to purchase the home he just states that it isn't available. No options to show him evidence (which is ridiculous that I can just carry it all around, even the journal with Calixto admitting he's the butcher)

mbrkpp

This was true in my first playthrough as well. The whole quest never trigger off at all. Like I said, I know it's supposed to be addressed in some of the subsequent patches. With Xbox, you can't fiddle with console commands either to try and get the thing to go off. Does your Xbox have the latest patch? Should be 1.5 now.

As far as console commands, I know, it's incredibly frustrating to see that on the pc certain things can be altered and trigger quests. It seems on the consoles it might just be plain broken.

Yes I have the latest patch, downloaded it today. It seems that the only thing it "fixed" was that a woman committed suicide and I could get the key off of her and then access the house. Nothing else, no quest. It just...allowed that to happen.

and this is unrelated, but it finally allowed me to be the thane of Riften. I had been SO frustrated with that glitch before. At least the patch fixed something

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Now, most patches have at east some component that won't fix things unless a new character is started. So, it may be forever broken in your current playthrough. It's not an essential quest inasmuch as you can finish the main story without it (which is what I did in my first playthrough).

Do make sure you do whatever Xbox's version is of 'clearing the cache'. I don't have a console myself so I'm not sure the specific mechanics of it. But this is a good habit any time you do patching anyway. To get the quest to intiate, I remember reading somewhere that you had to enter Windhelm 3 times then walk toward the graveyard somewhere around 2am or so. I don't know if that advice still holds true with the patches, but it probably can't hurt.

mbrkpp

That's what I had heard, concerning glitches that are already happening, but a few of my other missions actually got repaired even though I was stuck in the middle of them (there were 4 or 5, though the Forsworn one is never going to be fixed, I don't doubt it). They all started working after the patch release so I suppose it was just wishful thinking that it might work for Blood on the Ice as well.

As far as entering/exiting Windhelm and going to that damn graveyard, I did that for 4 hours or so earlier today (before giving up and posting this thread!) and I'm thinking I might just have to accept that it's a permanent no-go.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'm afraid that might be true. I gave up on it in my first playthrough (which was before the patches were out) and I spent hours traveling, waiting, swearing, reloading and such. I'm just glad it wasn't required.

ben price

if you have completed the dark brotherhood quest that asks you to kill her daughter that may be why nthe new patch says its been fixed but it hasnt get working bethesda

i have the same issue my problem is that the Windhelm, stable mans wife is dead and i think she becomes the body you find and that starts the ball rolling if she could be put back in place and made so she cant die except for the quest that would be a great fix im trying to get all of the homes in the game and this one quest makes a huge mess of that lol

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts