• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

REN951

How can I get more gold for the items I create? It seems a little strange to me that raw materials cost more than you can sell the finished product for!

dbukalski

its an exponential curve with the crafting items. eventually you can create weapons that sell for 20k a peice for like 1-2k in item cost. Of course youll only get like 5500 from any of the vendors I ever ran across

Doomy

Don't buy your raw materials, collect them. Then you make a profit.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.

dbukalski

the best merchants come from completing the thieves guild questline. Once your the guildmaster fences have 4k gold on them + 500 for investing in them + 1000 for top merchant perk

Kuurus

Money is so easy to come by that I would never waste perks for financial gain. I never took any speech perks, never power leveled crafting skills to make coin, and I still have 200k in gold, plus at least another 100k in found loot I never got around to selling just sitting in a chest in the house in Markath, with nothing to spend it on. I think it's wiser to spend your perks on things that have a tangible benefit for your character.

Of course if someone just likes having more money, by all means go for it. Just consider it a word of caution to those starting out who think they are well spent perks when they need more money early in the game, only to later regret taking them.

REN951

Its not the money I am after, would just like to improve my smithing perk without blowing all my cash!

Thanks for the reply's

dbukalski

speech is low on the list of required perks. But if you have spare perks it does ease the unrest some of us OCD players feel when a merchant only has 1k to give us for our mad loot :)

Being able to sell anything to all merchans is also useful if grinding the crafting skills.

mellojoe

Its not the money I am after, would just like to improve my smithing perk without blowing all my cash!

Thanks for the reply's
If you buy the iron ingots and leather from the merchants in order to make a bajillion iron daggers and hide bracers just to level up smithing, then YES, you are going to lose money on the deal. Iron Daggers and Hide Bracers do not yield a lot in selling, so you end up spending coin to level smithing. It is eventually worth it in the end, since you will have the ability to craft the best gear.

Once you get either the spell Soul Trap or a weapon with Soul Trap on it, you'll want to keep your eye open for soul gems. The lesser and the petty are cheapest and most abundant to come across, but they also yield the smallest gains when used in enchanting. Take the daggers and hide bracers you made to an Arcane Enchant table and start enchanting them. Even the worst enchantment should increase the value of the daggers from 25 coin to about 50 coin. Eventually, with better enchants and bigger soul gems, to same daggers will sell for 200 t0 250 apiece. Yes, you lose money at the beginning, but eventually you will start to break even, and then finally become profitable per item. If you steal the soul gems from the Mage's College, then wander around killing wolves in forests, you can get free materials. Take the hides and turn them into leather and leather strips. Turn those into hide or leather bracers. Enchant them using the soul gems you just filled. Sell for 100 or 150 apiece.

Good luck.

dbukalski

if you start crafting by doing alchemy first youll be 200k rich by time finished with alchemy then it wont matter how much anything costs. After alchemy I did enchanting and smithing. I just bought all the materials including filled soul gems(lesser, petty) rather than fill them myself

REN951

Again thanks for the help, Guess I will blast through alchemy first and get some extra gold! Just so you all know I am doing this on a second profile and just wanted to get my level up quicker.

My first character is a Nord male called Vlad currently at level 58 with 100 in one handed, two handed, archery, heavy armour, block, smithing and speechcraft.

Second is a female high elf called raven and she is pure mage so I am not using any armour or weapons except the odd staff.

On my third playthrough I will go for a wood elf and focus on stealth/archery/light armour

Phobos

On my third playthrough I will go for a wood elf and focus on stealth/archery/light armour

That is what i am playing as for my first character. Only invested two perks into the light armor tree because i rarely get detected im so darn sneaky. Most are dead before they can smell me.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Money is so easy to come by that I would never waste perks for financial gain.

I half agree with you, I don't think I'll ever be able to sell all the legit spare items I have, making transactions better for me would make it even more painstaking. For RP purposes though my character is a Smith and those perks certainly fit a Smith (everyone has to retire one day right?) Plus I like the idea of my Orc being able to intimidate anyone when he has to so that perk is a must for me. Speech is the last on my list of perks but it is still on the list.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts