• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hershangames

Now I know this question is older than Skyrim itself, maybe even older than the stormcloaks vs imperials one.
But I just wanr to know your opinion about it.
Is it better to be an assasin who silently slices his enemie's throats and is almost never hit, or a fearsome warrior who charges right through the main entrance and smashes everybody's skulls, taking a thousand arrows to the knee and still be and adventurer?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
and I'm gonna give you an answer older than skyrim itself; it's all about personal preference :p

Skyrimosity

Firstly, the Stormcloaks vs. Imperials question is not older than Skyrim itself because without TES V: Skyrim, there would be no Stormcloaks vs. Imperials question.

Anyway, the clear cut answer to your question is whichever one you like more. That's the glory of Skyrim! You can play whatever kind of character you want.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
I prefer to be sneaky in Skyrim though, it is a little more interesting to methan going in and just meleeing enemies to death in heavy armor.

Mithro'I

c7NJRa2h.jpg

sneaking up and getting dat sweet 54378x bonus for one hitting everything
or rushing in without a care smashing up the whole place surrounded by enemies...

why not have a character for each....

or one that does BOTH :O

I love both.

And setting people on fire. :oops::ashstab:

hershangames

Now that's something to consider

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I prefer sneaking, myself. Not because I am a sneaky person irl. I just love using the crossbow and it's more fun to take out an enemy whom is completely unawares.
If I make a male character, he is usually more melee.

hershangames

Hmm I've never tried that. Maybe that'll be my next character. I can even see the battle:
Summon an atronarch, use the distraction to sneakly kill the archer or mages, then get up and crush the remaining ones.

Kattus

I l both ike to have a character for everything and to mix the different types. So I can just pick one according to my mood.
Generally speaking, I find that sneaky characters offer you more variety of stuff to do. Melee gameplay is often just the same old swordwhirling bloodbath, while with stealth you can choose to go close range with a dagger, wide range with bow or crossbow, you can choose to steal stuff, and of course the poison thing makes stealth extremely attractive. You can be much more creative. Same goes for magic and its numerous schools. I like melee a lot, don't get me wrong, but apart from adding werewolf and using shouts I haven't found much to add variety to it.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Stealth, especially stealth with ranged attacks, has always been a little too powerful in Bethesda games for my taste. The issue is control. Control of combat. When it happens, where it happens, if it happens at all, is totally in the hands of the stealthy character. You can sneak past whole dungeons of foes, or take them out one at a time.

If you fail and find yourself in over your head, you can turn the corner and couch again, with the right perks, dropping out of combat and back into stealth. The sneak initiative bonus on attacks is a little too good, crushing an enemy with some pretty significant damage multipliers while his allies stand sometimes inches away, clueless.

It's all a little too tidy for me.

I prefer the fighter. There's chaos and adrenaline. You will be outnumbered. You will have archers and mages pelting you with bolts, quarrels, fireballs and ice-lances. You will square off against towering men in plate armor from heel to crown that block your attacks and laugh as they stagger you. And you will live or die by your wits, your bravery, your still in battle!

You'll have to learn to evaluate a situation. To know your foes at a glance. That mage throwing ice-storms at you has to go. Ignore the noodle-armed bandit with his iron dagger, save him for last. Bash that steel-clad behemoth bandit-chief with the haft of your axe and rush at his mage friend while he staggers! There's no time to waste, each ice spell depletes your stamina and slows you. Hew your mighty axe through his soft robes and feeble body then turn on the rest! Let the blood-lust overcome you!

hershangames

Hmm that's true, I myself have sometimes thought about how ridiculous that x30 damage was. But it's also true that when you screw up, you screw up big. No matter how fast those daggers are, they're not enough to kill an entire falmer dungeon once you've been spotted.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Mages can be assassins too :oops: *hugs Festus Crex plushie*

But hybrids are always the prefered. Recently I made a "hunter of dangerous quarry" who snuck around in light armor and used a bow... until the enemy spotted him then he whipped out a big compensation tool of a two handed sword.

Overall I would say to consider the old counter chart. Wizards counter wariors who counter rogues/assassins who then counter mages.

I made an assassin but I was so high level I couldn't do the companions final mission. Turns out draugr deathlords are tough sons of b*tches.

But yeah hybrid... if you do magic warrior rogue you are a bard and I support that :p

hershangames

Hmm the assasin-warrior seems cool and useful, but I'm not so sure about mage-assasin, unless it's illusion magic.
Magic always gets you discovered, which isn't handy at all for an assasin.

hershangames

There's such a thing as silent casting?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Yes. It is a high level perk, 70 illusion I believe. That basically applies muffle to your spell casts. Another reason illusion is really a superior magic choice for investment along with Alteration or Restoration in my book.

Pete

Very first play thru, I did warrior. I found that enchanting works well with the class. Then I discovered conjuration (summon flavors) work well too. Mindset was honor and valor. Shouts were the most important 'game changer' in battle.

When I played an assassin, I did it in the style the game presents. No shouts during battle, but plenty of potions. Funny thing is that I didn't work up the 1H, bow trees and instead worked up stealth, potions, light armor and speech. Some of my vampires become assassins / thieves since it fits so well. Either way, my mindset was totally different. Cool and private.

Rebecca2042

I'm totally an archer that likes to shoot people from the next room. Mostly because I basically suck at the fighting thing. I like my enemy dead before they have a chance to kill me.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts