Xbox 360 armor cap questions

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

gbux

So I know theres an armor cap of 80% damage reduction, which is ~500 something but is that the number you see when you click on your items/apparel ? im at about 900 right now in daedric armor with chants using a shield, and id love to go back to blades armor/steel plate, cause frankly IMO daedric is ugly as hell and not fit for a character im trying to play as a paladin. Im reasonable sure I can stay armor cap with those two armors with chants.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
If you put your cursor over any piece of armor in your inventory which you are currently wearing it will show your total displayed armor rating at the bottom of your screen.

gbux

Ugh im on xbox :sadface: but i know having around 500 something armor is the 80% cap i just wanna see if anyone knows if I just have that amount if im ok, since i have all the enchants and a shield.

gbux

ugh i miss read that comment half asleep last night. but i guess what im worried about is, again asd long as it says that i have enough armor rating, im in the clear? that would def either free up some enchants for maybe more 1h damage (as if i really need more, i 4-5 hit dragons, and 2 hit mammoths), more block, or more health/sta. I am having some survivability issues against mages so some resists might be in order

Dagmar

If your displayed armor rating is 567 or higher you'll get the maximum physical damage resistance that armor can provide.

mellojoe

The other thing to consider ... some weapons (maces, I believe) can ignore a percentage of your armor rating. Let me use some round numbers for easy math:

600 armor rating = 80% physical damage reduction
100 point attack = 20 damage recieved, 80% absorbed by armor

if the weapon ignores 50% armor:
600 armor rating = 80% physical damage reduction
weapon ignores 50% armor = 300 armor rating = 40% physical damage reduction
100 point attack = 60 damage recieved

So, it can still be beneficial to wear armor above the theoretical armor maximum. or another way to view this is like this: Just because your armor rating is 567 or higher does not mean you are impervious to all physical damage. Sometiems out of nowhere a dorky opponent can put the hurt on you if you aren't paying attention.

Dagmar

The other thing to consider ... some weapons (maces, I believe) can ignore a percentage of your armor rating....
I've seen this claimed but never with evidence to support it. There is an archived UESP Wiki discussion page for the Armor article that gives the Bonebreaker and Skullcrusher perks as examples but no one has ever been able to present evidence that any NPC in the game has those perks and the general evidence available is that NPCs do not have perks e.g. most followers do not appear to have any perks based on using the console to get their stats and observing their damage output from weapons. Given the lack of evidence to the contrary, there is no practical benefit to displayed armor rating above 567

mellojoe

My current armor rating is 769, including shield and matching heavy armor bonuses. I have had Falmer knock serious chunks of life out of me with un-enchanted falmer weapons. I have, infact, been killed by Falmer.

I don't know how their weapons get through where others don't, but they do somehow.

Dagmar

Falmer use poisoned weapons. It's actually possible for them to kill you after you've killed them if you get hit with an arrow or blade tipped with lingering damage poison.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts