Argonian, Khajiit, or something else?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Alright, so thanks to some quests glitching, and my urge to take a different path on some of them, I'm willing to create a new character in Skyrim. My first was a wood elf.

First, I was thinking Khajiit, but I'm not sure I'd care for it. Then I turned to Argonian, but I see no real difference in the two.

Point is, I'm not really sure what to go for next. Anyone have feel like sharing their insight?

Cannabyss

I've never played either race for more than an hour or so. During my rough patch between my first character's deletion and my current character, I tried every race. Maybe it's because I like racial traits that are actually useful, or maybe I'm just racist against cats and lizards, but neither race does a thing for me. They look cool, but I always end up reverting to the human races. Or an Orc, my main in Oblivion. But Orcs just own. So the moral of the story is, go with what you think is cooler. Every race is capable of the same fate as far as class goes. Just pick between water-breathing or seeing better in the dark. Both are pretty worthless.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I've never played either race for more than an hour or so. During my rough patch between my first character's deletion and my current character, I tried every race. Maybe it's because I like racial traits that are actually useful, or maybe I'm just racist against cats and lizards, but neither race does a thing for me. They look cool, but I always end up reverting to the human races. Or an Orc, my main in Oblivion. But Orcs just own. So the moral of the story is, go with what you think is cooler. Every race is capable of the same fate as far as class goes. Just pick between water-breathing or seeing better in the dark. Both are pretty worthless.

LOL Khajiits and Argonians can do more then just seeing in the dark and water breathing.

Argonians are also 50% resist to disease. They are also better at lock picking.
Khajiits are obviously great at sneaking, and can deal extra damage with their fists/claws.

There are other bonuses too, just can't remember off the top of my head. I have both a Khajiit and Argonian character. I like having a tail. :p Though, thinking about starting a Wood Elf character, they have kinda grown on me.

Cannabyss

Oh yeah...I forgot about the disease resistance for Argonians and stronger hand-to-hand for Khajiits, my apologies. But the better lock picking for Argonians and sneak for Khajiits are only helpful in the beginning of the game.

You could pick an Orc and get to the 25 sneak in the tutorial if you really wanted to. Which is why it's really all a matter of preference and the only thing that separates races is racial abilities like water breathing. But I agree, Wood Elves are legit.

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
Depends what kind of build you are doing if you are that worried about it. Some classes make certain builds easier to do but in the end, the Nords rule skyrim. Pick your side wisely :D

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Oh yeah...I forgot about the disease resistance for Argonians and stronger hand-to-hand for Khajiits, my apologies. But the better lock picking for Argonians and sneak for Khajiits are only helpful in the beginning of the game.

You could pick an Orc and get to the 25 sneak in the tutorial if you really wanted to. Which is why it's really all a matter of preference and the only thing that separates races is racial abilities like water breathing. But I agree, Wood Elves are legit.

Exactly what you say. It's only helpful in the beginning of the game, but so are the racial bonuses for all the other races. You could pick an Argonian and get your heavy armour and one-handed up, and yet it will be no worse than picking anything else. The abilites probably aren't as good as the ones for Orcs, yes, but some just like the look of beast races and there's nothing wrong with that.

Cannabyss

Exactly what you say. It's only helpful in the beginning of the game, but so are the racial bonuses for all the other races. You could pick an Argonian and get your heavy armour and one-handed up, and yet it will be no worse than picking anything else. The abilites probably aren't as good as the ones for Orcs, yes, but some just like the look of beast races and there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh, of course there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not trying to bring anyone down or judge. The Orc racial is awesome and always useful and so is Breton (my preferred race) and High Elf. Unless I'm mistaken the rest are pretty useless in higher levels.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
The one for Imperial isn't bad, but yeah, at higher levels it's probably not as helpful.

I Play as A Khajit and it works , on a higher level the bonuses are great however it all depends on what character type you are going for Magic, Warior , Assasin etc My personal experience is that Khajit is good however not that stroang against magic

Guerito

I am playing a Khajit too at the moment - maybe because I have 2 cats and the younger one of them is as much an assassin as my Khajit. Basically I am sneaking and murdering my way through the game, and I'm having fun.

I don't know the Kajit one, but the Argonian once a day power is a regeneration buff, iirc it is 10x regeneration rate for 60 seconds. Not too shabby. Called Histskin I think.

Necromis

honestly, as has been pointed out, it is all a matter of style and roleplaying of your character as all things balance out in the end. I absolutely love my kitty, he is fun to sneak around with and for the first 15 levels, besides my bow, i only used the claws with the gloves of the pugilist. Right now I am playing a mystic archer/sneak and I chose a Breton for that character. So really first decide what type of character you want to be, warrior, mage, thief/sneak. What your main weapon style will be, and then figure out what race you think would fit well into that equation for you.. Nothing says you could not have a sneaky Orc, or a straight up warrior high elf....etc.

Champion8877

i just made an argonian and i love just swimming around in rivers and lakes. its actually a lot of fun, and i have found a couple sunken ships with chests in them. its pretty cool, i like the argonian race a lot.

i personally dont like the kajiits simply because i really dont like cats in real life, im a dog guy. so in skyrim i kill the kajiits any chance i get, i am very racist against them.

BSE

I liked the perks of the Argonian. The water breathing has helped quite a bit, 50% resistance to disease which is nice. Also, theyre once-a-day power called Histskin allows for 10x health regeneration for 60 seconds. Really helps in a super tough boss fight when youre a lot lower level than you should be.

As for starting higher skills, I dont think those matter that much. Skills level up so quickly to start the game that the difference between 15 and 20 are almost negligible, especially if its a skill that you use a lot.

BSE

i personally dont like the kajiits simply because i really dont like cats in real life, im a dog guy. so in skyrim i kill the kajiits any chance i get, i am very racist against them.
Haha, I do the same thing. Then again, most of them are drug dealers and deserve to die anyway.

Necromis

sounds like you should do the companion quest then and become a were-puppy. :D

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I'm currently playing as a Khajiit... for my next playthrough, I'm really going to miss NightEye (spammable night vision for Khajiits).

I usually have this as the default "power" equipped and not one of my Shouts. I run into problems at times when I forget that I had previously equipped a Shout and ended up either "IceForm"ing or "FusRoDah"ing someone while I'm trying to sneak... happens to my Followers from time to time. :oops:

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Oh, of course there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not trying to bring anyone down or judge. The Orc racial is awesome and always useful and so is Breton (my preferred race) and High Elf. Unless I'm mistaken the rest are pretty useless in higher levels.

I consider the Orcs a beast race too. They really do't fit in any other category. And I think my Skyrim guide puts them alongside the Khajiit and Argonians too.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts