• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Reshiram337

Leader of DEFHA
-Raven, honestly I haven't chosen yet, but I plan to soon. My level 81 wants attention and wants to complete everything (except Cival War, because honestly, it ruins the environment). I was planning to create a High Elf for the mage character when I actually get around to creating them, once my Lvl 81 completes almost everything...maybe

-BIGwooly, problem is, I never played a mage character other than my LVL 81 Duel-Wielder and thats only because of Vampire Lord. Besides the only magic school tree he invested in was Restoration.

Skarv

In my honest opinion, I think making a pure mage is boring, you have to add your taste to it, like instead of Alteration use Light or Heavy Armor and that stuff!

Sohn07

Mage is really awesome, if you find it boring some time. Just download "Spells and Powers by WarriorKeKe" it makes it a lot of fun, with all the new spells you can buy! :D Oh ya and High Elf really makes a good mage, because of their magicka regeneration power, they start with 50 more magicka and they start with high levels in all schools of magic! Hope it helped! :)

Reshiram337

Leader of DEFHA
-Skarv, Ever since my decision to use Dragon Priest masks on my mage, Alteration would be almost useless. At least the Mage Armor perk. To be honest I dont really like Alteration, so its always good to try things differently. Just like making a decision to use Crossbows (although for a mage this is pointless, but I just love Crossbows :)

-Sohn07, I'm sure that mod is very nice, the problem is I play on a Xbox 360, so I cant download and use mods.

zane

Over powered is never a problem in my opinion, I've seen most people just crank up the difficulty settings =o

Try battle mage instead.

Pure Mage (I.E. no armor, or weapons) is just not a "No Brainer" style of play. You have to think, because with the heavy investment of Magicka, they have little Health, and without armor, they can be considered a little squishy. So don't Tank, the trade-off is, they're unencumbered, and with an Altmer being the tallest, they're also the fastest. The real advantage is versatility gained from the vast number of magical effects they have at their disposal.

Here's where the thinking comes in. You have to know what to use, and when. I just finished an entire article of Battle Tactics | Skyrim Forums (scroll down to the second post) for the Wizard archetype. Not to shamelessly plug it, but I really don't feel like repeating them again, when I just wrote them all in 1 convenient place. A Warrior can rule the battlefield, but in the end, it boils down to get your armor up to survive just about anything, then attack until everything is dead, and finally, look for a new battlefield to do it all over again.

A Wizard can Control the battlefield. In fact, I highly recommend the Civil War for large enough battles to actually use it to the fullest. You can use Illusion to set everyone fighting each other, then AOE destruction spells to hit everyone at once. I don't really care for Alteration's protection spells, but I don't depend on armor too much anyway. They do an adequate job of keeping you alive, as long as you don't let them wear off, and stay out of the thick of the fray. It's much safer to be outside it, where you have a more strategic view, and can direct the tide of battle without worrying about the other half of it behind you.

Is it worth it? That really depends on the player. There's only one way to find out!