Archery Damage?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Red5

Hi all, on my second playthrough, and while I fired off a few arrows the first time around, this is my first time with an archer focus. I have a couple questions regarding archery damage:

There is a bow damage total and an arrow damage total. What is the total archery damage total? Is it simply bow damage + Arrow damage? An average of both? Something else? The reason I ask, is I have an enchanted bow that shows that it does more damage (before buffs), than my blades sword, however, when I hover over the blades sword, it shows a green +1.

Also, as you add perks that increase damage, does it affect just the bow damage? Is it Bow + Arrow damage?

So confused o_O

Thanks in advance.

ShadowGambit

The Mechanics is the following:

Bow Damage (upgraded) x perks x enchantment (+% Fortify Archery) x sneak modifier (if any) + Elemental/Enchantment damage + Arrows

The arrows doesn't play a lot in the equation because it is only calculated on the BASE DAMAGE of the arrow and added AT THE VERY END. So, between an Iron and Daedric arrows the difference in damage is only of 14pts. Negligeable when you know that at the end, you will do HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS, of damage with your bow.

Note: on patch 1.5, there was a mistake in the formula, where the damage of the arrow was added to the bow damage BEFORE the multipliers. Therefore, it was worth it to look for Daedric Arrows. That what change on patch 1.6 and after.

Niq

Thanks ShasowGambit that is really helpful.
just one question - is that X enchantment or + Enchantment? or is it X + enchantment, as in times the plus enchantment?

ShadowGambit

if you speak about + Fortify Archery, then it is a mutiplier. Example: +147% fortify Archery, multiply your archery skills by 147% (thus enhancing your damage output).

if you speak about elemental enchantment on your bow, then it is + enchantment damage.

Niq

Thanks for clearing that up!
And wow! No wonder Archers kick ass!

ShadowGambit

You have the same mechanism for +1 handed weapon (but not for Dagger) though.

And a sneak attack with +1 handed weapon is x6. x12 if you use Ancient Shrouded Gloves. Imagine if you Dual Wield.

Niq

I suppose, but bows do alot more "Original" damage... and dont rely as heavily on sneak skill.
and with daggers imagine if you have the Assassin's blade perk X 15 i think it is....

ShadowGambit

Yes. But as the daggers don't benefits from + Fortify 1 Handed enchantments, the damage output of a fully upgraded Sword in sneak attack is higher than the one from a dagger.

The sword is just not "silent" like the dagger.

Niq

I did not know that, i thought due to the assassin's blade perk and the shrouded gloves daggers would be higher damage output... iv seen one equation working it out to be more than 30 x damage... and cant armsman be applied to daggers as well?

ShadowGambit

Armsman is applied to dagger.

But if you can get 4 pieces of apparel with +147% Fortify one Handed, your damage output with a Daedric Sword will be better than with a daedric dagger with a sneak attack.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts