Another Miraak glitch

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Meowkitty

Yes this is my first post. I'm generally a lurker, but I really felt the need to share this information with everyone, or anyone. Please excuse any rookie posting mistakes.

First, I have been suffering from the now infamous Miraak glitch where I absorb the dragon souls instead of him (on Xbox 360). I scoured the web trying to find any and all possible solutions to try. So far, every time one of them seems to work, another glitch occurs! Here are the current tips and how they did not work for me:

Reload before you even went into the final Black Book: Tried that, multiple times, definitely didn't make a difference.

Kill him very slowly and only to about 80% or so health: Did that. Not only did I do that, but I tried times when I didn't attack him at all, he just fought with my dragon for awhile (10+ minutes) until his health got low. Did not work.

When he's ethereal in the middle, try hiding behind something until you are "hidden", then when he is not in fight mode he should slowly regain his health on his own and eventually snap out of it: This worked in part. First, the dragon I rode in on has to be dead, otherwise the dragon is constantly trying to fight him, which keeps him in fight mode, which means he doesn't heal. I tried killing my dragon while he was ethereal, but guess what, new glitch and I can't hurt him. I tried riding him and having the other dragons kill him, but they won't. In fact, they started trying to kill Miraak (happened 5+ times). So I have to kill him before Miraak goes ethereal the first time, which leads me to my next point...

Kill all of the dragons first: After I managed to kill the dragon I rode in on first, then it seemed like smooth sailing. I did the hiding thing, and Miraak did actually regain his health, snapped out of it, and started attacking me. But unfortunately, a new glitch occurred when he is just constantly calling down and killing dragons that aren't there (in one battle he called down 7 dragons). This all happens even though Hermaeus Mora was supposed to come out and kill Miraak after he absorbed the 3rd dragon soul.

The others that didn't work included restarting the console, reloading various points, dying instead of reloading, deleting saves, changing difficulty, letting him finish all of this dialogue, etc, etc, etc.

So basically any time I managed to find a "fix" to the glitch, another glitch would come up and ruin my day.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? I am a huge fan of the game, but a glitch in the final battle of the main story line of a DLC is absolutely NOT acceptable.

Meowkitty

Update:

Uh well, I'm still trying combinations of all of the above and then some, and now something totally random has started happening. All of a sudden these random "Ancient Dragonborn" guys (who look like the Dragon Aspect armor ethereal with no body) just show up and start attacking Miraak!

Velya

I am having EXACTLY the same glitches/results! Down to the ancient dragonborn attacking Miraak after using the dragon aspect shout. After hiding and letting him regain his health so I can beat him down for the dozenth time, I decided to rage quit. Any chance they'll release a patch so we can finish this quest?

Meowkitty

Everything I've seen online says no, but I haven't heard/seen anything official. You'd think this would be somewhat of a priority since it's the final battle of the main quest line! It isn't some random miscellaneous quest!

So your guys showed after using the dragon aspect shout? Because I didn't use mine when they showed up!

I literally got so frustrated that I just stopped, then I started a new character because I truly could not deal with it. My boyfriend has yet to start Dragonborn DLC, but I'm trying to get him to do that soon because I've heard reports of people who had problems then another person on the same console had no problems at all. It's so random!

JacobMarley1075

I appreciate the community effort to assist in fixing this bug but the bottom line is that there are indeed two separate glitches going on, and that fact should be understood before wasting any time trying to bypass the bug.

Firstly I'm really , really disappointed in Bethesda for not even acknowledging the bug/glitch in the Miraak boss battle on their support or community forums. That is the most basic form of customer / public relations. People spent good money on this game and then spent real-life hours only to reach what could be an insurmountable glitch without a Bethesda patch.

As many of the other threads around the web note, the worst of the two glitches occurs when you install the DLC before installing the most recent skyrim patch. The order of the installation actually matters. Installing the DLC and THEN patching the game with the most recent patch actually breaks those boss scripts. The clearest indicator of this was that you probably weren't able to find the boat after you first installed the DLC until you patched the game. Most likely you spent a while searching the docks and waiting to be visited by the cultists etc...Remember that? When this didn't happen that's when you most likely patched your game. If this scenario sounds familiar you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO KILL Miraak no matter what you do. Smaller weapons, killing/not killing dragons, invulning, insta-blinking him- none of this matters. What will happen repeatedly is that you will absorb the dragons souls instead of Miraak , causing him to keep invluning. I even tried to do the hide trick (if you hide long enough he'll exit his invlun stage) but it doesn't matter either- because he'll keep going back into invuln every time you attempt to kill him. He HAS to absorb the dragon souls or the boss battle cannot end.

The other scenario is that you DID install the patch before the DLC. In this case your glitch is less serious. You can just dicker around with highly nerfed attacks until he dies. It'll take longer , just watch how hard you hit him.

That's it. Basically scenario 1 folks are going to have to wait for a patch or alternately UNINSTALL the whole DLC and start from scratch from the beginning of the DLC. I'm not willing to do that. I'm hoping people will give Bethesda hell until they release a statement. And that's really all they'd have to do to help their customers out is give them an idea of when there will be a patch and let us know they're actually working on one. I'm really appalled that they haven't done this small thing... really- how hard is that?

Meowkitty

I didn't realize the order of the patch and the DLC download mattered. Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I also definitely agree with all that you said. It's truly disappointing that Bethesda can ignore the problem, which they are obviously doing since you can't even Google search "Miraak..." without "glitch" popping up as a suggestion. That's how well-known this glitch is online.

I'm also not ready to give up and delete then download again. Partly because I thought the main story line was definitely lacking, so the only reason why I'd even want to continue in the DLC is for the side things. Instead, to pass the time I started a new character, but the itch to play my original character is getting pretty strong.

Thanks again for the info and good luck!

JacobMarley1075

Today I received an update about this glitch from Bethesda in response to my query:
“We’re definitely aware of the glitch, and we haven’t denied the issue at all. The issue that you are experiencing is a known issue and we are working diligently to fix it in upcoming patches. Unfortunately at this time we do not have an ETA on when the next patch will be deployed. Aside from loading a previous save file prior to reaching that point in the quest and trying again (which we understand doesn’t always work in the case of this particular bug), the best thing to do at this point would be to keep an eye on our forums, as this is the best source of information for emerging issues and patch information.”

Meowkitty

Well I'm glad someone finally got a legit and direct response to it! I wish they would have some more concrete information on it, but at least they acknowledge and say they're trying to fix it.

Ash_Battle-Born

Okay I bought the dragonborn DLC yesterday and I finally made it to the Miraak glitch part today and couldnt get past it for hours until now.
This fix involves doing 2 things. When you first board the dragon to fly to the summit start the fight with Miraak until he gets to the part where he goes into the etheral form where he doesnt move.
Note that he doesnt move becuase his health doesnt fully go to 100% after he absorbed the first dragon, use the bendwill power on the dragon you first boarded. Use a magic spell like Firebolt etc. (I used incarnate)and get the other dragon flying around health low enough until he lands,
land the dragon you are flying on and kill the dragon that you just got out of the air. His soul will then go into Miraak making him 100% now lower Miraaks health again and
he will go into the same state after absorbing your dragon you used to get there, Hide behind a pile of books until you are hidden and zoom the camera out to see his
status.When he gets 100% health he will eventually leave the middle and begin walking around go in and defeat him and this time the Hermious Mora (or whatever his name is) will come and finish
Miraak off. After you absorbed Miraaks soul loot his body for his weapons and armor then read the black book that pops up to be returned to the main land.
Note this only works on the glitch (glitch #2) where he doesnt move, not the you absorbing the dragon soul instead of him (glitch #1). I did this on the XBOX 360 Idk about other platforms
If this works for you please try to spread the word and Idk about the 3 men coming and attacking him part you mention but this will definatly work if you did it
exactly how I explained. HOPE IT WORKS!

Also try to make sure you reload your save to the part where you learn the last word of Dragon Aspect and board the dragon to the summit.

Meowkitty

Unfortunately that did not work for me, yet another variation I tried that didn't work. Glad it worked for you!

xMik3x

Well i don't know if everybody figured it out already but in PC there's a fix for Miraak being stuck under the floor when you finish him, first of all open the console and click on Miraak to get his ID (his ID must be 0401fb99) then kill him like it has to be, once he get stuck under the floor, type this on the console "disable" then "enable" this should fix the problem and Hermaeus Mora will kill him.

Now the problem is that you can't see Miraak and he will not appear again, to fix this and be able to loot the body, just wait until the dialogue finish and type on the console "resurrect" (you have to do this before the book appears from the ground) this should bring Miraak to life again and you should be able to see him , then type "kill" and there you go, you now can grab the loot from him.

I really hope it work for you guys as it worked for me and i hope to see a fix for this in the next patch.

coolman08

Yes this is my first post. I'm generally a lurker, but I really felt the need to share this information with everyone, or anyone. Please excuse any rookie posting mistakes.

First, I have been suffering from the now infamous Miraak glitch where I absorb the dragon souls instead of him (on Xbox 360). I scoured the web trying to find any and all possible solutions to try. So far, every time one of them seems to work, another glitch occurs! Here are the current tips and how they did not work for me:

Reload before you even went into the final Black Book: Tried that, multiple times, definitely didn't make a difference.

Kill him very slowly and only to about 80% or so health: Did that. Not only did I do that, but I tried times when I didn't attack him at all, he just fought with my dragon for awhile (10+ minutes) until his health got low. Did not work.

When he's ethereal in the middle, try hiding behind something until you are "hidden", then when he is not in fight mode he should slowly regain his health on his own and eventually snap out of it: This worked in part. First, the dragon I rode in on has to be dead, otherwise the dragon is constantly trying to fight him, which keeps him in fight mode, which means he doesn't heal. I tried killing my dragon while he was ethereal, but guess what, new glitch and I can't hurt him. I tried riding him and having the other dragons kill him, but they won't. In fact, they started trying to kill Miraak (happened 5+ times). So I have to kill him before Miraak goes ethereal the first time, which leads me to my next point...

Kill all of the dragons first: After I managed to kill the dragon I rode in on first, then it seemed like smooth sailing. I did the hiding thing, and Miraak did actually regain his health, snapped out of it, and started attacking me. But unfortunately, a new glitch occurred when he is just constantly calling down and killing dragons that aren't there (in one battle he called down 7 dragons). This all happens even though Hermaeus Mora was supposed to come out and kill Miraak after he absorbed the 3rd dragon soul.

The others that didn't work included restarting the console, reloading various points, dying instead of reloading, deleting saves, changing difficulty, letting him finish all of this dialogue, etc, etc, etc.

So basically any time I managed to find a "fix" to the glitch, another glitch would come up and ruin my day.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? I am a huge fan of the game, but a glitch in the final battle of the main story line of a DLC is absolutely NOT acceptable.
i get thourgh the fight on pc but it gets stuck were miraak dies from the tentecle
of hermnous mora

You are definitely not alone. While I haven't experienced that particular glitch because I haven't played it yet, I have experienced many others in the DLCs. I have a suggestion - I'm assuming you're on console, probably PS3 right? Well I recently found a way of resetting all DLC content; this way you can just start the DLCs all over again but keep your current character. All perks and stuff stay the same, but any DLC related items go back to their original places and any items you had in say Severin Manor or a Hearthfire house I believe go back to wherever you had them before. So, you could try this if nothing else works. Here's how to reset all the DLCs:

First, back up your current saves, preferably on a USB flash drive or whatever you use for back up. This is in case anything goes wrong during the process and also because you will need your most recent save to complete this process.

Second, go into the Game Data menu under the Game icon on the PS3. Find Skyrim's game data - it should have the Imperial symbol on it, you know, the silver diamond with a dragon in the middle. Delete Skyrim's data.
This should also by default delete all DLC data, but you will be able to get it back. If you got it through a download you can re-download it from the PlayStation store - don't do this yet though!

After it is done deleting, and it may take a minute as it's a fairly large file, pop in the disc and re-install Skyrim's data. Make sure it installs all data and the most recent patch.

Once it is done downloading, load your most recent save. Don't be surprised if you're in the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood, this is normal. Now make a separate hard save. Once saved, exit the game.

Now you can re-install all DLC content. If you downloaded it, go into the PlayStation Store and look under Downloads. The DLC content should be there. Re-install them all.

Once this is done, load the hard save you made after re-installing Skyrim. This should succesfully reset all DLC content, which in theory should give you a do over and fix most bugs.

I imagine this is possible to do on Xbox as well. I have a guide I can link you to which is where I found out how to do this; it may have a way to do it on Xbox but I'm not sure. If you're not on PS3 just let me know and I'll link you. I really hope this works for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts