Am I to understand that a skill at 100 with no perks is no better...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Onadir

Kind of like Blade, but for trolls.
...than that same skill at base level? I've only just gotten Skyrim and still trying to understand some things. I apologize if this is a repost and correct me if my assumption is incorrect, but does merely levelling a skill without giving it perks offer no modifiers, essentially making it useless?

EDIT: Also, do skill ups rollover if you don't level right away? If I got everything to 100 without ever leveling up, would I be stuck at level 2?

Kuurus

It depends on the skill you are talking about. If you consider a weapon skill, like 1-handed, every skill point is going to increase your damage by 0.5% (100 skill = +50%).

If you look at illusion, your skill level affects nothing when casting the spells. It's only purpose is to unlock higher perks.

You would not be "stuck". You could theoretically save them all and then choose to "level up" 80 times from 1 to 81.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
You would not be "stuck". You could theoretically save them all and then choose to "level up" 80 times from 1 to 81.

Which is basically what I'm doing. I have several skills at 100 but I'm still level 1. Eventually I'm going to save then level up and get to pick and choose where I want all those perks. If I don't like it I can just reload and try something else.

Static

If you look at illusion, your skill level affects nothing when casting the spells. It's only purpose is to unlock higher perks.

I'm fairly certain that for every level in a spell school, spells from that school cost 0.5% less to cast.

Kuurus

I'm fairly certain that for every level in a spell school, spells from that school cost 0.5% less to cast.
Ah, I just started an illusion/archery assassin and hadn't noticed that. I just noticed the spell hadn't changed in strength at all. Spent my first 60 levels playing melee with no magic but an occasional an occasional heal. Thanks for the info.

XbSuper

You won't notice the skill difference until you actually take your levels. You can still save all your perks, but remember, enemies level with you, so if you take the levels but no perks, the game may become difficult. However the fact that you are not leveling is the reason you are finding no advantage to raising your skills.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
You won't notice the skill difference until you actually take your levels. You can still save all your perks, but remember, enemies level with you, so if you take the levels but no perks, the game may become difficult. However the fact that you are not leveling is the reason you are finding no advantage to raising your skills.

I disagree. I'm finding it easier to deal with enemies now that my skills are higher. Skill level seems to impact my performance greater than my character level. If I were to level up though, I suspect it would get much more difficult unless I put some perks into combat.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Which is just the thing. It's always a bad idea to put perks at low level into smithing or enchanting, as your character will level but be no better at combat.

Phobos

When the developers had a race to complete the main quest line they didnt even level their characters up. The should tell you something about not putting points into categories. Of course, they are moving as quickly as they can to complete every quest required to complete the main quest line and probably didnt need the perks.

Kuurus

I disagree. I'm finding it easier to deal with enemies now that my skills are higher. Skill level seems to impact my performance greater than my character level. If I were to level up though, I suspect it would get much more difficult unless I put some perks into combat.
You're right, it should be easier. Take weapon damage for example. Character level does not enter into the formula anywhere. It's skill, enchants and potions. A level 1 with 100 in 1H skill will do the same amount of damage with an Ebony sword as a lvl 81 with 100 skill if the lvl 81 didn't take any perks in the 1H tree and neither one is wearing +1H dmg enchanted gear.

When facing leveled enemies, which one do you think would have an easier time killing their opponent? The 81 is facing a leveled opponent with far more health, yet they are both dealing the same damage. The level 1 is going to kill things much faster.

Of course it's a theoretical example. I would expect a level 81 would have taken 1H perks if that's the weapon he is using. But the point remains, if you never level, skill increases alone will enable you to become much more powerful than your leveled opponents without the need for perks.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
You're right, it should be easier. Take weapon damage for example. Character level does not enter into the formula anywhere. It's skill, enchants and potions. A level 1 with 100 in 1H skill will do the same amount of damage with an Ebony sword as a lvl 81 with 100 skill if the lvl 81 didn't take any perks in the 1H tree and neither one is wearing +1H dmg enchanted gear.

When facing leveled enemies, which one do you think would have an easier time killing their opponent? The 81 is facing a leveled opponent with far more health, yet they are both dealing the same damage. The level 1 is going to kill things much faster.

Of course it's a theoretical example. I would expect a level 81 would have taken 1H perks if that's the weapon he is using. But the point remains, if you never level, skill increases alone will enable you to become much more powerful than your leveled opponents without the need for perks.

I was planning to play as a level 1 on master difficulty but I think I''ll run into the same situation I'm in now. I'm playing on adept difficulty. I've got over 60 in 1H and even with a non upgraded skyforge steel sword I can take down most bandits with a couple swipes. I've actually wandered around a room looking at stuff while one was attacking me and another was shooting arrows at me and was in no particular danger due to upgraded armor and armor skill. I'm not saying it would be that easy on master, but I don't think I'll see a significant increase in difficulty unless I level up but play with no perks.

I'm the baddest level 1 mofo in Skyrim right now. But I still keep giants at a distance. :D

Kuurus

Yeah, against opponents determined by your level, you end up being way overpowered when your skills increase. But against things with a set level like giants (lvl 32), you don't have that advantage.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Keep in mind too that certain quests can only be unlocked at pre-determined levels.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts