• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Am I supposed to be doing something with all these ingredients, gems, nuggets and soul gems I'm finding?

Frankly, I'm used to Skyrim so I haven't a clue what to do with them other than sell them.

Fortunately I did figure out what to do with the little hammers you find though. :) Fix my stuff!

JoeReese

The ingredients get mixed with (at start) novice mortar and pestle. You can also use the three other alchemical tools (whose names exclude me but you'll see them in the guild halls) to make better stuff. Select the tool and then it will let you add ingredients.

Soul gems work much the same way, at least for recharging. I haven't enchanted yet. Nuggets and other gems I've been selling, but idk if that's right or not.

And yes, it's a good thing to keep little hammers on you.

I tend to use the open-top grain sack (non-respawn) in front of my favorite merchant, for storage. I've used close-to-shore clam shells for storage too. That way you can raid the boxes, barrels, and sacks, and not max out your inventory. You'll find a lot of lockpicks, hammers, ingredients, and even some gold in those, in addition to some sellable clothes and such.

Daelon DuLac

I have a mortar & pestel and have seen the other items as well.

I'll have to keep my open for the soul trap spell or items though.

Thanks for the tip on storage. The one thing I am always running out of is lockpicks. I'm not worrying about it though. I know it's a matter of practice and timing so, if I'm out, I'm out and I just don't open it. I am horrible at lockpicking in Oblivion while I can lockpick anything at level 1 in Skyrim. :)

JoeReese

There's a shady dude hanging outside the walls of the capital city. Start at the stables, and walk left til you see him leaning on the wall. He's expensive, but he sells lockpicks.

Daelon DuLac

There's a shady dude hanging outside the walls of the capital city. Start at the stables, and walk left til you see him leaning on the wall. He's expensive, but he sells lockpicks.
Cool! I had no idea!

JoeReese

I just went and got fingleam last night. I forgot, in addition to nighteye, it also adds waterbreathing and detect life at 20', all constant effect. Not too shabby for a free helmet, eh?

Daelon DuLac

I just went and got fingleam last night. I forgot, in addition to nighteye, it also adds waterbreathing and detect life at 20', all constant effect. Not too shabby for a free helmet, eh?
Yup. Of course I have absolutely no idea where to look for it and am, apparently, incapable of reading the map, but I'll get there!

JoeReese

Fast travel to Anvil lighthouse, and then walk/swim over to the little island just off the coast. At the northwest corner of the island, a little offshore, you hover in the water til you can see clearly down. There's a small rock formation. In the concave portion of the formation, there's a skeleton with fingleam on. You'll need a waterbreathing spell, potion, or scroll. I think that's a couple hundred bucks at Edgar's.

Daelon DuLac

Fast travel to Anvil lighthouse, and then walk/swim over to the little island just off the coast. At the northwest corner of the island, a little offshore, you hover in the water til you can see clearly down. There's a small rock formation. In the concave portion of the formation, there's a skeleton with fingleam on. You'll need a waterbreathing spell, potion, or scroll. I think that's a couple hundred bucks at Edgar's.
Thanks.

I remember fingleam. As anyone has probably seen already from playing Oblivion, the merchants do not run out of money like their counterparts in Skyrim, so you can sell a lot of what you get. I did a lot of business with Rohssan at A Fighting Chance, if you have the game of the year edition with Battlehorn Castle go to the Merchants Inn and do your selling to Nilphas Omellian, he always has about 3000 septims. I always saved up a lot of dough selling Nilphas all the jewels I found and weapons/ armor that I managed to get off bandits.

Daelon DuLac

I remember fingleam. As anyone has probably seen already from playing Oblivion, the merchants do not run out of money like their counterparts in Skyrim, so you can sell a lot of what you get. I did a lot of business with Rohssan at A Fighting Chance, if you have the game of the year edition with Battlehorn Castle go to the Merchants Inn and do your selling to Nilphas Omellian, he always has about 3000 septims. I always saved up a lot of dough selling Nilphas all the jewels I found and weapons/ armor that I managed to get off bandits.
The question is: how do you carry it all? It just seems like, in Skyrim, you can carry more and better items to the merchants. In Oblivion, everything that's worth anything is so heavy!

I just carry one or two items of the most expensive stuff when I am first starting out. There is always more bandits to loot from and the loot chests re-spawn.

Daelon DuLac

I just carry one or two items of the most expensive stuff when I am first starting out. There is always more bandits to loot from and the loot chests re-spawn.
Yeah, 2 armors worth 68 each that weigh you down. Doesn't do me any good actually. I can't afford a house, can't afford spells and have to use found weapons and armor. Great.

Yeah, I hear ya, its rough starting out in Oblivion, it'll teach you patience if nothing else. I guess since I started out back in the stone age aka the late 1980s with these types of RP games stuff like that doesn't bother me as much. Daggerfell kicks your butt and then skins it and hands it back to you, which is why I never got anywhere with it.

You might want to stock up on Welkynd Stones. I used to get as many of those as I could to carry. When I played on the Xbox my brother showed me a glitch to triple my supply. Luckily Welkynd stones aren't that heavy and are worth 2000.

Daelon DuLac

You might want to stock up on Welkynd Stones. I used to get as many of those as I could to carry. When I played on the Xbox my brother showed me a glitch to triple my supply. Luckily Welkynd stones aren't that heavy and are worth 2000.
Very true. I picked up maybe 10 in a recent ruin. They don't sell for 2,000 though. I got about 200 each. It helped though.

No kidding, I could of sworn they went for 2000. I went and looked them up on UESP they only go for 50 so perhaps their price goes up as you either increase your mercantile or level up? Still, 200 Septims is not nothing to sneeze at when you are first starting out.

Daelon DuLac

No kidding, I could of sworn they went for 2000. I went and looked them up on UESP they only go for 50 so perhaps their price goes up as you either increase your mercantile or level up? Still, 200 Septims is not nothing to sneeze at when you are first starting out.
Very true. They're also helpful to recharge weapons. I don't generally carry them since I can get recharges at any number of places anyhow, but that's still a pretty good perk. I made about 1.5K within about 10 minutes of starting the game. There are about 10 of them in the bandit hideout across from your escape tunnel (I discovered), so they did help. Too bad I need to keep paying fines to pay off the crimes I don't even know I'm committing. Maybe I should just start committing them so I at least know what I'm paying for. I did jail once and lost too many skill points so I'll just pay the fines now.

Yeah I always usually went over to Vilveron right after getting out into the world. It had a ton of welkynd stones.

Hmmm as for committing crimes, you even look at something that belongs to an NPC in Oblivion the wrong way or god forbid touch the item and their off screaming for the guards.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts