• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

bronxtale

I never tried being a mage cause it look hard because if the mana is gone you'll be defence less i did all of it archery,two-handed,one hand,and so on but never destruction,illusion,conjuration,healing,and all the magic skill tree would you reccomed it? if you do do you have any tips? like what race best skill tree and how much mana you need PLEASE HELP I NEER TRIED MAGIC BEFORE
ALWAYS THANK YOU!

Katastrophe

King of Tales
It should be fairly simple, honestly.

Race is really irrelevant but Altmer or Breton would be a good choice. Altmer will give you an additional 50 Magicka upon start and a good racial. Breton will give you a good racial as well, a good passive ability, and it will also give you the spell "Conjure Familiar"... which is why a Pure Mage would be simple.

You're going to want to invest heavily in Conjuration at the start, or Illusion. Conjuration will let you summon an ally, essentially a tank, that can do the big damage for you as well as take the hits that would otherwise cripple you. Illusion can be used paired with sneak to make enemies fight each other until you're left with a 1-on-1 scenario. You can mix Conjuration into that by using necromancy to resurrect the people your Illusioned target just killed and have them fight again. It gets very amusing sometimes.

The issue is that spells don't scale as well as weapons in the later levels.
Translation: You won't do a lot of damage towards the end.

You can, especially if you choose Breton, pretty much invest all of your points into Magicka but I'd obviously split it between that and health, should you be caught off guard.

I also recommend enchanting your gear to the point that your highest Magicka cost spells (probably Conjuration) cost 0 to cast, as well as probably Fortify Destruction to do more damage.

Also, if you invest in the Bound Bow early on, it's almost on par with a Daedric bow. Still technically magic, but far more lethal.

DRTBAG

I use magik all the time & im an archer.illusion is good for stoping foes & jedi mind tricking them to run,chill,whatevr.also,if you put alot in the tree there is "QUIET CASTING"which is good in all schools.i also love necromancy since u can pull friends & weapons outa thin air,which saves on weight issues since u wont need a bow,sword,or battleaxe.resteration is perfect for any1 cuz,well its healing.also,you can heal ur friends in battle.my 2 fav schools would have to be illusion & necromancy(not counting enchanting cuz its not on the battlefield).with all my people I get enchanting up to 100 for the 2x effect ,but for the battlefield for me its-necromancy/illusion then-resteration/destruction

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
Is it to much to ask that you don't say ur, u, and other text talk on a forum? Thank you for your consideration..... anyways, it depends on what type of mage you are. Destruction mages are BEAST at early levels, but I hear they don't scale well. My advice, use destruction to get used to the mechanics of a mage, then switch to other schools in a separate play through :).

bronxtale

Thank you for the replies i'll be sure to try it out

ShadowGambit

Conjuration and Destruction will help you to start fast.

Cast your minion BETWEEN you and your enemies. LET HIM TAKE THE AGGRO. Then only, start to cast your destruction spells. Also, flaming Familiar is basically a Fireball with the lock on target. Nice to have.

Illusion "offensive" spells works better at higher level than Destruction (with Dual Casting). I'm speaking of spells like Fury and Frenzy. They are great way for crowd control when your Dremora Lord will attack the real aggressive enemies. Calm and Pacify are also nice crowd control, but less "fun".

Done well, you will rarely get hit with this style of play. I would advise though that you have a lot of Magic resist on your gear, so casters won't do much damage to you. Resist Magic in the alteration tree skill is a must if you are not a Breton. If you are a Breton you can do without. In any case, the Agent of Mara power is a must.

You don't really need an armor here, nor a weapon skill. You won't do the fighting, your minion will.

For the race: I would choose the Breton over the Altmer. My reason is that with 1 enchantment, you can get more than +50 magicka. When with one enchantment, you cannot get more than 23% magic resist without using a glitch. So at the end, you get a little more benefits from the Breton, but not that much.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
I agree with what people have said so far. I just want to mention using Shouts. They help a mage character out a lot. Some of the ones to look for are Slow Time and Become Ethereal, as well as either Unrelenting Force or Ice Form. These buy you time to reposition, heal, destroy your enemy, etc.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts