• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
    Let me clear this up, and don't take it as me being opposed to this reboot because I am quite excited. Is this a COMPLETE reboot and all our previous progress, interactions and whatnot are completely wiped? But the lore mostly being kept?

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
    You guys don't know how merchant republics worked do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Genoa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Venice
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pisa

Read this when you have time, here's a short explanation. In medieval times in Europe, Merchant republics were small city-states that conducted trade around the seas. The 3 I linked above where the 1st merchant republics, although there were many more of them, such as Gotland and The Hansa, but probably the best merchant republic was Venice. Around the time the Ottomans conquered Constantinople, Venice controlled ALL trade zones within the Mediterranean, while Genoa controlled Spanish trade zones and the black sea. That means Venice out-played Genoa and forced them to established trade far from home, which led to them fading into obscurity.

When you control the trade flow of around 50 nations, you get extremely rich, The Doge of Venice got as much money from trade as all Western Monarchs from taxes combined. Venice did some awesome things, like connect India and Europe through trade and get $ from the much desired pepper. They also conquered important land through which trade flew, they owned land in Italy, Austria, Croatia, Greece and they controlled a lot of greek islands.

I built the Republic of Etumas with a lot of elements from Venice, and I got inspired from the Free Cities in Game of Thrones to create a Kingdom with only coastlines.

But I don't like the idea of them having trading posts in Qethia. That much Isaac world never approve.

Isaac must really hate the republic, because there was no way a monarch would refuse trading with Venice. The money and the product variety received from trade was so ridiculously high that even muslim states agreed to trade.

In Europe, trade with a republic was impossible unless they built trade posts in your land. Monarchs would sometimes razed trade posts and forced the patricians to rebuild when they were mad at the republic(which they were because the Doge usually was a scumbag who dishonored alliances). But sometimes they took loans from the republics, and even hired galleys from the republic to transport troops.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
    Although Coradum would welcome the trade, they aren't in the position to make a port. However.. Should things go further on in the game, that may change.

Also, that's also why I like playing Venice in Medieval 2: Total War. Man those guys get rich fast.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
    I don't much like my old one, it was pretty unpolished. I have some ideas for a KC but you can bet your ass "king prototype" will return. I've been trying to think of name changes but Alex + Mercer just fit together like peanut butter and jelly. Whether he will be king or not, I don't know yet. But my KC will be recreated completely and posted, but I don't have time right now. I will hopefully next weekend. I know its in 7 days but tomorrow I have to hand in an assignment and on the weekend I have a wedding to attend.

And so is the map the same but is being change slightly or? If its mostly the same, I'd like to reserve the same spot I had. Just when you said "Clean once more" I'm not entirely sure what you meant.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
    ugh god dammit this is distracting me from real life again. cant wait till I can put time into this. Right now it doesnt even feel like it will be a chore. Please keep me updated!

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
    We will, no worries :) And yes, same map, but some (two of them) have been pulled out due to time in real life. Some others (Doom's kingdom) have changed a bit. Doom will also update the map soon hopefully. We haven't filled out the bestiary yet (or rather copy and paste) and I'm still working out the kinks in mine. (Population, army size, etc.)

I'd say at least a week before this gets started in 'in character kingdom' chat. If not more. You've got time. :)

And a wedding? Dang. Yeah I'd drop everything myself in your position. Can't miss weddings!

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    Daryl you sure you want to keep the same spot? Scout's gone and Doom only has the coast of his old Kingdom, there's about 60% of the continent up for grabs

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
    Although Coradum would welcome the trade, they aren't in the position to make a port. However.. Should things go further on in the game, that may change.

Also, that's also why I like playing Venice in Medieval 2: Total War. Man those guys get rich fast.
    If you like strategy games play Crusader Kings 2. It's a little different than the total war series, as in less fighting, more ruling, but it's a very deep game.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
    Also, Simus, there is a large solaran population in the republic, that will be explained when i write the republic's history.

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    So doom, you reckon you can whip us up an updated map?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
    Well can somebody post the map so I know what my options are? Unless I've missed it and it's already up. I didnt see it

Toxius

Frost Wolf
    You guys don't know how merchant republics worked do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Genoa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Venice
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pisa

Read this when you have time, here's a short explanation. In medieval times in Europe, Merchant republics were small city-states that conducted trade around the seas. The 3 I linked above where the 1st merchant republics, although there were many more of them, such as Gotland and The Hansa, but probably the best merchant republic was Venice. Around the time the Ottomans conquered Constantinople, Venice controlled ALL trade zones within the Mediterranean, while Genoa controlled Spanish trade zones and the black sea. That means Venice out-played Genoa and forced them to established trade far from home, which led to them fading into obscurity.

When you control the trade flow of around 50 nations, you get extremely rich, The Doge of Venice got as much money from trade as all Western Monarchs from taxes combined. Venice did some awesome things, like connect India and Europe through trade and get $ from the much desired pepper. They also conquered important land through which trade flew, they owned land in Italy, Austria, Croatia, Greece and they controlled a lot of greek islands.

I built the Republic of Etumas with a lot of elements from Venice, and I got inspired from the Free Cities in Game of Thrones to create a Kingdom with only coastlines.

But I don't like the idea of them having trading posts in Qethia. That much Isaac world never approve.

Isaac must really hate the republic, because there was no way a monarch would refuse trading with Venice. The money and the product variety received from trade was so ridiculously high that even muslim states agreed to trade.

In Europe, trade with a republic was impossible unless they built trade posts in your land. Monarchs would sometimes razed trade posts and forced the patricians to rebuild when they were mad at the republic(which they were because the Doge usually was a scumbag who dishonored alliances). But sometimes they took loans from the republics, and even hired galleys from the republic to transport troops.

That is why you'll be my worst enemy, imagine my city states with outside influences such as yourself!
    They wouldn't need to depend on each other, which would tear the very being of them being interconnected and reliant on each other.
    I'm going to keep a very keen eye on dealing between our empires.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
    That may be so, but still my point was - all discovered kingdoms should have trade posts from the Republic.

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    Don't make me laugh, mercs vs Qytonari? No chance [emoji14] it'll take strong, organised troops to stop them

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    Qytonari are incredibly elite, hence why I capped at 1,000 so that I can't just wipe a Kingdom with them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts